Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,383

2 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Converting hutch cabinet help.

So i have searched page after page on this forum as well as others along with internet research. I have seen many examples of people building wood enclosures and converting furnitures into enclosures. I have a hutch cabinet set that i plan on turning into 2 enclosures in the hutch section, and using the cabinets as storage. The inside has and existing shelf with glass pieces down the center. I think i will replace the shelf so that it will be all wood and come to the front where the doors are. I will also install tracks for either glass or plexi behind the glass cabinet doors that i am keeping for asthetic reasons only.

Now after that ramble of a plan... this brings me to my point and question after extensive searching. Inside the hutch where the enclosures will be i need to have sealed and water resistant or water proof. Ive seen many suggestions from polys to fiberglass or even pond armor.
    Also i see the easiest solution would be linoleum.
    I have considered all of these and am leaning torwards a poly or sealant of some sort.

My question being what sealant or poly is good to use for inside. Also taking into consideration that the furniture is already finished so question number 2 would be the steps involved in usuing said product that any of you have experiance using.

I do apologize for the length of this post and i do thank in advance for any responses.

Thanks

Re: Converting hutch cabinet help.

I think we're having a hard time figuring out your layout.... maybe a picture would help?

Thanks
    I just would like to know what would be a good sealer or water proofer on wood thats already finished. If i have to sand it bare, if i can stain it or paint it or what order. Sory if my OP was a little confusing. I need help with product and the use of, more so than the actual enclosure its self.

Thanks
    What type of finish does it have?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Most any finish it has will not be water resistant enough for a high humidity snake cage. It ccertainly would need to be sanded.

Before you dive into this I'd suggest really do the research and see what issues such a cage can present. High humidity with high heat is a great place for mold and wood is a great host. It also can cause warping and bubbling of the wood and veneers. This makes for bow and not close flush leaking your heat and humidity.

I'd also do the math for all the products and work needed to convert the cabinet and compare it to the cost of a nice cage like an Animal Plastics T5 or T8. The T8 has been on sale with glass doors and is a quick ship item, meaning you have about a three week shipping date.

I think I'd suggest using a glass tank before a makeshift cage made of wood.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull