Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,658

0 members and 2,658 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I turn 40 in a few months. Is it still possible at this age to find a best friend?

It seems like yesterday that I was a late teen early twenties young man, looking wide eyed at the world of possibilities. Then life happened, and zoom, I am quickly approaching my 40s. I have never been particularly social, but in college I had a best friend. He wasn't in my university but he went to music school in the same city and worked nights at the gym I went to. Being a night person there were many a night I would go work out till midnight and hang out with him till it was time for class the next day. I miss that a lot.

I graduated and moved back home in another country. We stayed in touch for a while but one day he apparently got a job in an orchestra and left the country. I haven't spoken to him since. He has no social media presence believe it or not, although his sister (whom I have never met) is apparently making indie films and I saw him listed as a musician in her movies. I think it would be weird to try to find him like that though.

Then a few years later, a girl just started chatting to me on a minibus I took at the time. We ended up becoming friends and going on these little adventures that summer, but then she also moved away to the UK.

Nowadays at this age, sometimes I feel like just given up. I recently have tried to go to some social events, but it is much different now. Everyone seems to only want to give "friendship" if they can use you for something. Sometines, guys would size me up to see if they can dominate me, and girls are suspicious what my motives are, when all I really want is a friend. I don't want to fight and I don't want to date, I just want a friend.

I did go to an event recently where everyone was nice but even though it was planned, it has been a month and a half and no second meeting ever took place. Everyone is busy at this age.

Is it still possible to find a best friend at 39 going on 40? A family member recently pretty much said forget it, what do I think I am, a schoolboy? I am so jealous of guys like Seth Rogen and James Franco having met in their teens and stayed friends through work and life, trials and tribulations like that North Korea deal, as well as great successes. I'm not really asking for so much am I? Just a best friend that's all. Not fake friends, those are a dime a dozen.

I know, I sound like a wuss. LOL!
    Last edited by dr del; 12-09-2016 at 03:48 PM. Reason: removing censor bypass

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I turn 40 in a few months. Is it still possible at this age to find a best friend

Quote Originally Posted by hungba View Post
    It seems like yesterday that I was a late teen early twenties young man, looking wide eyed at the world of possibilities. Then life happened, and zoom, I am quickly approaching my 40s. I have never been particularly social, but in college I had a best friend. He wasn't in my university but he went to music school in the same city and worked nights at the gym I went to. Being a night person there were many a night I would go work out till midnight and hang out with him till it was time for class the next day. I miss that a lot.

I graduated and moved back home in another country. We stayed in touch for a while but one day he apparently got a job in an orchestra and left the country. I haven't spoken to him since. He has no social media presence believe it or not, although his sister (whom I have never met) is apparently making indie films and I saw him listed as a musician in her movies. I think it would be weird to try to find him like that though.

Then a few years later, a girl just started chatting to me on a minibus I took at the time. We ended up becoming friends and going on these little adventures that summer, but then she also moved away to the UK.

Nowadays at this age, sometimes I feel like just given up. I recently have tried to go to some social events, but it is much different now. Everyone seems to only want to give "friendship" if they can use you for something. Sometines, guys would size me up to see if they can dominate me, and girls are suspicious what my motives are, when all I really want is a friend. I don't want to fight and I don't want to date, I just want a friend.

I did go to an event recently where everyone was nice but even though it was planned, it has been a month and a half and no second meeting ever took place. Everyone is busy at this age.

Is it still possible to find a best friend at 39 going on 40? A family member recently pretty much said forget it, what do I think I am, a schoolboy? I am so jealous of guys like Seth Rogen and James Franco having met in their teens and stayed friends through work and life, trials and tribulations like that North Korea deal, as well as great successes. I'm not really asking for so much am I? Just a best friend that's all. Not fake friends, those are a dime a dozen.

I know, I sound like a wuss. LOL!
    Sure it is. I'm 31 and I found a best friend earlier this year. I'm in one of the exotic groups in Louisiana and he got some feeders from me one day and a week or so later I went to check out his reptile center he's trying to open up and that's the day we became best friends. Honestly he's more like a brother at this point as him and his wife treat me like part of the family, inviting me over for Thanksgiving and such because they knew I didn't want to really do much with my family. He has several venomous, and pythons/boas/colubrids and said if I wanted a key he would get me a key and I was more then welcome to come hang out whenever I wanted. In just under I would say two months, he's became a brother I never had. I wasn't looking for a best friend/brother but I found one.
    Last edited by dr del; 12-09-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: editing quote to match edited post
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

BigLou3 (12-09-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Lucky you. Yes, it all seems to happen by chance doesn't it? In my late twenties I met a friend after buying heating pads from him. Can't remember how it happened exactly, but years later I tore my arm and was in hospital and he took care of my herps.

31 is a lot different than 39 though. When I was 31, I was a champion athlete and everyone was always kissing my butt (insincerely of course, and only when I won). Now I am like the crazy snake guy (herp world answer to crazy cat lady). I also, and I am almost reluctant to say this as I was once a rebellious youth, do not understand the new culture and vernacular brought on by the new generations. Everything is tweets this and hashtag that. Even older folks do it. I don't understand what it, all means.

But thankyou, your story gives me hope. 😊

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: I turn 40 in a few months. Is it still possible at this age to find a best friend

Lucky you. Yes, it all seems to happen by chance doesn't it? In my late twenties I met a friend after buying heating pads from him. Can't remember how it happened exactly, but years later I tore my arm and was in hospital and he took care of my herps.

31 is a lot different than 39 though. When I was 31, I was a champion athlete and everyone was always kissing my butt (insincerely of course, and only when I won). Now I am like the crazy snake guy (herp world answer to crazy cat lady). I also, and I am almost reluctant to say this as I was once a rebellious youth, do not understand the new culture and vernacular brought on by the new generations. Everything is tweets this and hashtag that. Even older folks do it. I don't understand what it, all means.

But thankyou, your story gives me hope. ��
    Honestly man, age has little to do with it. The hard part is finding people that are loyal and have the same integrity & values. Too many people these days lack all three of those, and part of it is how they're raised tbh I think. I work in a jail so I can tell you from experience how often I see the dark side of people.

EDIT:
    Where are you from? Move to Louisiana, I can always use another friend who's into reptiles.
    Last edited by Neal; 12-09-2016 at 06:20 AM.
    -Venomous-

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well I live in Hong Kong, so that's kind of far, but I already consider you a remote friend already just for replying to my post.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I think lack of a social life is a pretty common problem now, I see it complained about from people I know on facebook and even the few friends I do hang out with say the same thing. No one has time, no one plans anything, everyone would like to hang out though. My close friends for the most part moved away too and it's definitely awkward sometimes trying to make new ones! I don't think it's impossible at all, but does depend on the person. My older sister and mother are both very active in various org/groups and make new close friends that way often.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well I live in Hong Kong, so that's kind of far, but I already consider you a remote friend already just for replying to my post.
    Well thanks, and same can be said for you.

What's it like living in Hong Kong? I want to visit there one day in the future. I have a friend who used to be a flight attendant and he said it's nice there, but visiting anywhere can be nice.
    -Venomous-

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

I am 43 years old and other then my boyfriend whom I have been living with for almost 14 years I do not really have any friends. I have Facebook friends but they live far away and they are not into snakes like I am. My boyfriend isn't totally into them either but he supports me for my love of the hobby. I come on this website everyday because I have some really good friends and I actually have things in common with them. You will find a best friend. My family doesn't support me at all, basically turned their backs on me several years ago, and they are not into me keeping snakes. I don't really care. I don't need them anyways. I have learned to be happy with what I have and I am grateful to be with a man that loves and supports me for who I am.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

BigLou3 (12-09-2016),moonlightgdess (05-08-2017),PitOnTheProwl (01-25-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Hey, 40's is not even considered the prime of life. You are still a very young person and should just enjoy life as it unfolds for you. Most times you meet someone who becomes important in your life purely by accident or coincidence and not when you are looking for them. I am in my 60's and married but I often meet people and have learned to trust others which is a important aspect in making acquaiintences, neighbors and friends. And as a medical person I know about aging and you are a young person.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 12-09-2016 at 09:08 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks
    It's never too late to find friends. But, you may want to re-evaluate your "everyone just wants to use you for something" philosophy. Perhaps you're being too cynical. In a less cynical way friendship is based on this. In any relationship people need to be doing something for each other. Otherwise there is no real motivation for the relationship. Of course there is a line where someone is truly taking advantage. I wonder if you just need to move your line a bit.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-09-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast