Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,461

0 members and 2,461 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Threaded View

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I turn 40 in a few months. Is it still possible at this age to find a best friend?

It seems like yesterday that I was a late teen early twenties young man, looking wide eyed at the world of possibilities. Then life happened, and zoom, I am quickly approaching my 40s. I have never been particularly social, but in college I had a best friend. He wasn't in my university but he went to music school in the same city and worked nights at the gym I went to. Being a night person there were many a night I would go work out till midnight and hang out with him till it was time for class the next day. I miss that a lot.

I graduated and moved back home in another country. We stayed in touch for a while but one day he apparently got a job in an orchestra and left the country. I haven't spoken to him since. He has no social media presence believe it or not, although his sister (whom I have never met) is apparently making indie films and I saw him listed as a musician in her movies. I think it would be weird to try to find him like that though.

Then a few years later, a girl just started chatting to me on a minibus I took at the time. We ended up becoming friends and going on these little adventures that summer, but then she also moved away to the UK.

Nowadays at this age, sometimes I feel like just given up. I recently have tried to go to some social events, but it is much different now. Everyone seems to only want to give "friendship" if they can use you for something. Sometines, guys would size me up to see if they can dominate me, and girls are suspicious what my motives are, when all I really want is a friend. I don't want to fight and I don't want to date, I just want a friend.

I did go to an event recently where everyone was nice but even though it was planned, it has been a month and a half and no second meeting ever took place. Everyone is busy at this age.

Is it still possible to find a best friend at 39 going on 40? A family member recently pretty much said forget it, what do I think I am, a schoolboy? I am so jealous of guys like Seth Rogen and James Franco having met in their teens and stayed friends through work and life, trials and tribulations like that North Korea deal, as well as great successes. I'm not really asking for so much am I? Just a best friend that's all. Not fake friends, those are a dime a dozen.

I know, I sound like a wuss. LOL!
    Last edited by dr del; 12-09-2016 at 03:48 PM. Reason: removing censor bypass