Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,397

1 members and 1,396 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Burmese pythons... Tell me everything you know.

What exactly are all the laws concerning burms? I know they can not be transported across state lines anymore but that is about all I know. Can they move across county lines? Do you need special permits just to own them? Do you need special permits to breed or buy or sell? I am sure a lot of this varies by state. I am not 100% sure with my state, Minnesota, but I THINK our deal is that they can be freely carried across county lines but not in/out of state, I don't think you need a permit to breed or buy but I think you do need a permit to sell. I really like these snakes, I would have one if I could, but the size puts me off both in terms of cost of feeding and "how the heck do you make him do what you want"... LOL when the 150lb snake is wrapped around your armchair and you want him back in his enclosure, I am not sure what you can do about it. Might get one someday though, who knows.

What do you know about your area's laws on burms?
    -------
    0.1 Spider BP, "Sassy"
    0.1 ETB, "Ysera"
    1.0 GTP, "Craig"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I am not a Minnesota resident. My best advice is to join the Minnesota Herpetological Society:
    https://www.givemn.org/organization/...ogical-Society

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Any snake on the Lacey Act can not be transported across state lines no matter what. The only exception atm is retics which can still be shipped except to NY, Texas or Florida. The burm stays in the state you got him, period. As for permits or legality, you need to check your county laws as it varies from county to county. Like here in Washington State, in King County, you can keep retics but in Seattle, anything over 8 or 10' I cant remember, you cant keep. And in Everett city limits, retics are illegal yet I think in Snohomish county which Everett is in, they are legal. Bottom line is you need to check your county laws on exotic animals or like mentioned, ask your local herp club but just as easy to goggle your counties animal control laws.

And in my area, any large constrictor is fine. The only things that cant be kept in my county are Crocodilea or crocodile monitors and of course venomous anything.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 12-07-2016 at 08:24 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    I was trying to start a thread to provide general info to others (I was curious myself but not going to get a burm) but I do appreciate the suggestions, lol. That was why I said "your area" at the end of the post. Thanks though.
    -------
    0.1 Spider BP, "Sassy"
    0.1 ETB, "Ysera"
    1.0 GTP, "Craig"

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Oh. Well yeah if it was for "your area" for everyone, this thread will be thousands of posts long lol as like I mentioned, in just my area, there are 4 different counties and actually there are more. I was just using 2 cities, Seattle and Everett as examples. The problem is sometimes city laws will be different than county laws so you have to really do the research on your own as the exactly where you live. For example, Seattle is in King County but within Seattle city limits any snake over 8 or 10' are illegal to own and if caught, you will get a fine and your pet will be euthanized. But the city I live in within King County, anything is fine except venomous reptiles, crocodilea and crocodile monitors.

While I understand what you are doing and its great, people who are looking to keep reptiles really need to do their own research with where they live since like I mentioned, if something goes wrong, more than likely, your beloved reptile will be euthanized by animal control
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Burmese pythons... Tell me everything you know.

The whole ban from crossing and shipping to other states (other than TX, FL and NY) is no more! You can ship and transport them now

Sent from my LGL39C using Tapatalk