Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,908

1 members and 2,907 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Skinny Rescue Corn

So my cousin's friend asked me to take his baby corn snake since he wasn't taking good care of it, so I did. From what I can tell is the biggest issue is the baby is really skinny, he still has muscle mass and is alert and curious, just hasn't eaten in a while. I don't know if this is because he wasn't offered food or if it's because of refusals, but I do know when he did eat it was only every other week. I've been told he was eating pre killed pinkies, when he was eating.

I got him home and set up yesterday, he weighed in at 27g. Just because it happened to be feeding day I offered a pinkie today that he looked and followed around for a bit but did not eat. I think it was a little big, so I'll try smaller next week and live if I need to,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, since I'm a corn snake newly at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Skinny Rescue Corn

My first snake was a corn...compared to the balls he was a breeze to feed...I could literally leave 1-2 f/t in his enclosure and he would gobble them up at his leisure...try just leaving the pinkie in there for him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sandi1961
    North Dakota, USA

1.0 Nuclear (butter/fire) 'Ramses'
    1.0 QueenSpin (lesser/pastel/pinstripe/spider) 'Seti'
    0.1 Pastel 'Cleopatra'
    0.1 Pastel Desert 'Wadjet'
    0.1 Leopard 'Nefertiti'
    0.1 Black Pastel Yellowbelly 'Anhk-Meri-Ra'
    0.1 BEL (super mojave) 'Isis'

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandi1961 For This Useful Post:

gaitedappy (12-07-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    That doesn't look like a corn snake to me.
    Pittuophis morph?

Try scenting with tuna? Honestly, I'm terrible at getting babies to eat. Good luck. Beautiful animal, but I don't think it is a corn.
    Last edited by distaff; 12-07-2016 at 07:09 PM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (12-15-2016),gaitedappy (12-07-2016),John1982 (12-07-2016),kevall1 (04-18-2017)

Thanks
    I agree...not a corn. Looks like a Rat snake to me. Really pretty!! I would leave him alone for a week and let him de-stress and then try again.
    4.3 Corns (Ziggy, Maximus, Twix, Henley, Amelia, Akasha, Zahara)
    1.1 Rosy Boas (Moonshine, Peaches)
    0.1 Licorice Black Rat (Lacey)
    1.1 Balls- Special Lesser Leucistic (Raka), Nuclear (Vesta)
    1.1 Carpets-Caramel Coastal (Michonne), Highlighter Jungle (Grimes)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xcjumper For This Useful Post:

gaitedappy (12-07-2016)

Thanks

All I was told was albino corn lol I thought he looked off. Honestly I think this was a case of they got a pet they didn't know how to care for, possibly from petco.

I'll try the tuna thing next week then attempt live the following if that doesn't work. They didn't have any heat on him either, so he was a little sluggish at first.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Pits seem to have coarser and more defined scales on the head. Also, there usually is that badass Drymarchion *eye brow* ridge over the eye, giving kind of a hawk like appearance. Pit patterns tend to form a chain link to my eye.

The closest snake I've seen to yours was advertised on Kingsnake.com several months ago. I found it astonishing - that same almost metallic *gold,* on a white ground, and pit defined chain-link pattern down the center back. I looked today, but couldn't find any similar.

That snake is very beautiful!

Care should basically be like a corn. I'd try the bare shoe box sized tub and paper towel substrate. That makes the pinky easy to find, and the only distraction.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

gaitedappy (12-07-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Give him a week to settle in, and access to plenty of water because he's dehydrated in the photo provided. I'm thinking that this looks like an albino gopher snake and is definitely not a corn snake. After the week of being mostly left alone, offer him a large f/t pinky and try dunking the thawed pinky in boiling water for a few seconds so it turns white and rubbery, then immediately place it in with your new snake and leave him completely alone and in the dark for 24 hours. I've had excellent luck with boiled f/t pinks. Live is definitely also an option for this kiddo. Do not offer food more than every 3 days until he starts eating, at which point you should then feed every 5 days until he's no longer underweight. Then drop to every 7 days.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spiritserpents For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (12-15-2016),distaff (12-07-2016),gaitedappy (12-07-2016)

Thanks
    If that is a Pit, it's going to be a lot bigger than a corn, lol! I love it!
    4.3 Corns (Ziggy, Maximus, Twix, Henley, Amelia, Akasha, Zahara)
    1.1 Rosy Boas (Moonshine, Peaches)
    0.1 Licorice Black Rat (Lacey)
    1.1 Balls- Special Lesser Leucistic (Raka), Nuclear (Vesta)
    1.1 Carpets-Caramel Coastal (Michonne), Highlighter Jungle (Grimes)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to xcjumper For This Useful Post:

gaitedappy (12-07-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritserpents View Post
    Give him a week to settle in, and access to plenty of water because he's dehydrated in the photo provided. I'm thinking that this looks like an albino gopher snake and is definitely not a corn snake. After the week of being mostly left alone, offer him a large f/t pinky and try dunking the thawed pinky in boiling water for a few seconds so it turns white and rubbery, then immediately place it in with your new snake and leave him completely alone and in the dark for 24 hours. I've had excellent luck with boiled f/t pinks. Live is definitely also an option for this kiddo. Do not offer food more than every 3 days until he starts eating, at which point you should then feed every 5 days until he's no longer underweight. Then drop to every 7 days.
    He's got a bowl that he's already found and sipped from. I'll try covering the sides of the enclosure when I feed next week. I only offered today because I happened to be picking up rodents for the ball pythons and boas. But so far he's fairly active and curious.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Good job taking it in and congrats on the new pituophis! Looks like you scored a nice little albino annectens there. While it will get a good bit beefier than the average corn, they don't get much longer with most adults maxing out right around the 5 foot range.

I start most of my pits on f/t rat pinkies. Those that don't take the rats usually accept a f/t mouse fuzzy or hopper. In the rare occurrence of a hatchling not feeding on f/t straight out of the egg, an appropriately sized live mouse hasn't failed me yet.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

distaff (12-07-2016),gaitedappy (12-07-2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast