Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,045

3 members and 3,042 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: At what age did you get your first snake?

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • Younger than 10

24 12.00%
  • Between ages 11-17

53 26.50%
  • Between ages 18-24

54 27.00%
  • Older than 25

69 34.50%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    I was 12. I worked for months doing extra chores for my father to save up money to get my first snake. At the time, I only knew about ball pythons and "red tails" being pet snakes, and wanted a ball python since my father used to have one. I was a little short, having just enough money for the snake but none of the equipment, but my father bought all of that for me. Within a few months, he had also built a custom wooden enclosure for him. A teeny hatchling in a big 4.5'x2.5'x3' enclosure with nothing but a branch and a big box with a heat lamp attached to the top. I don't remember the dimensions exactly, but that's really close. All but the bottom and the front of the enclosure was made from the dip in the wall of trailer. Kinda like a closet but not really. So, I was unable to bring the enclosure with me. He spent some time in a 106 qt tub before we made the 2 6'x2'x3's I have today.

In retrospect, Bud's original set up was horrendous. Absolutely no cover beyond that wooden box, and the heat lamp was attached to the top with a hole cut so the bulb could heat inside the box. The wire came through the top of the enclosure, was stapled along the top and then the wire dangled from the top of the enclosure down to the box. He was always pulling the wire loose and the lamp set up was a serious burn hazard. He does have a small burn on his tail that gets smaller and smaller as he gets older. The rest of the enclosure had zero additional heating, but during the winter the wood stove kept the whole trailer nice and cozy so he never got too cold. So surprisingly he never got ill, and even more surprising, he ate like a hog. He was a serious chunker back then. Then we made our first move and he was a problem eater for 3 years, and now the past year he's been eating really well.

10 years after getting Bud I'm up from 1 snake to 13, having bought 14 total, and 10 of those were bought within the last 2 years. That's about when I got my first job, it really gave me funds for my collection to explode. lmao
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks
    I held my first snake when I was 16. I went to a private boarding school, and they had a horticulture center on the grounds. Once they set her in my hands I fell in love, it was so hard to leave after that. I wanted a snake SO bad, I vowed I'd have one as an adult once I graduated, and then graduated college. Last year, December 23rd two days before Christmas, I got my first snake; a snow corn I named Ghost. I was 25. Then, just this past October, I got my first BP, a pastel I named Vespa. It's been an AWESOME two years so far.
    0.1 Snow Corn (Ghost) |♦| 0.1 Pastel/Pie Ball (Vespa)

Thanks

At what age did you get your first snake?

I got my first snake at the beginning of this year at 19. I had always loved reptiles as a kid but my Gma hated them so I could never get one. When I moved out at 18 the hunt began for the perfect reptile for me I was actually looking into getting a crested gecko for a while but then one day while I was at a reptile store browsing I saw a cute little snake snoot looking back at me and asked it I could hold him. I immediately feel in love and after a little under a year of research and preparing I got my boy from the very same store. Now I'm soon to get my second little beep and hope to breed one day

Edit:
    Whoops didn't see how old this was, it was at the top of my feed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BluuWolf; 08-25-2017 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks

Re: At what age did you get your first snake?

40. Cuz I drove a truck. And pretty much lived in my truck. Now that I'm 49 and retired. I'm making up for it.
    0.1.0 Lemon Blast 2018 CV Exotics
    1.0.0 Kingpin 2018 CV Exotics

Thanks

13, little corn snake from petsmart :/ she didn't last too long.. now I'm 17 and have a healthy boa and a adopted ball python who's a bit of a.. feisty kid lol

Thanks
    I am 25 and I got my Bp 2 weeks ago I have wanted some type of reptile for years! But the last year I've been leaning towards a snake, someone at my mom's work suggested a ball python. Once I saw the little face I had to have one!!

Thanks

My very first snake was a western ribbon snake that I got at our local pet store when I was 7. She lived to be about 6-7 years old. I'm sure the short life was from improper diet as at the time even the garter snake care book my mom got me said to feed goldfish. I also supplemented with wild caught frogs, tadpoles, and minnows - so I'm sure parasites were a thing.
    Then when I was ten I caught a rattlesnake and kept it for about a week, until my parents found out and made me let it go...so not really a pet :/
    My first permanent pet python (I've fostered / rehabbed snakes for the past 14 years) I got two years ago at the age of 25.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks

I've ALWAYS wanted a snake but living with my parents as a teenager that was a no go period, no questions...obviously when I was in the Marines that's was again a no go lol....now being in my own home and my then fiancé (now husband) surprised me for our 3rd anniversary told me to just get anything and everything I needed and wanted for my first BP....almost two years later we now have 2 BPs (Ramsey-norm BP and Ra- Pastel) 1 BCI (Anubis), 2 Dragons (Cleo and Neffy), a Russian tortoise (Cornflake), and we just today in fact purchased our first Crestie (Dracarys) mind you all these animals were in fact purchased all with in the last 4-5 months minus Ramsey lol he's the eldest got him 2015...

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Got my first reptiles when I was 22 which was almost exactly 20 years ago. Time flies!
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Red face Re: At what age did you get your first snake?

I got my first snake when I am 24 and he is a ball python, my dream snake

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast