Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,898

2 members and 2,896 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Exclamation Building A Snake Rack

I have recently decided that saving space in my home, is a MUST. Although I love to display my snakes, it's time for them to go into bins.
    I have 8 snakes and unfortunately do not plan to get anymore until breeding season. I have seen a ton of tutorials and I am just not a builder.
    The rack has to be two; four bin columns, and able to hold a 75 gallon tank that is 3/4 full! I prefer something that is black so it at least matches the rest of the room it is going into. I also need a way to hide all the wires and what not of the heat tape. It will be right in the middle of my living room, so aesthetics is a plus. How big does the space between the heat tape and the bin need to be?
    Side Note: This will be my first time using heat tape. Is there any other way to heat them besides heat tape? I feel as though heat tape is expensive and complicated.
    Thank you so much for your help!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Heat tape is the least expensive heat source (at $2.10 per foot) and you can have it wired to your spec if you purchase it from Reptile Basics. If that is expensive, than I think you want to reconsider your entire project.

Finding a rack that will support a 75 gallons tank will be near impossible, you need something VERY sturdy to support that kind of tank, something build especially for tanks, so you will have to make a choice or pay a LOT of money for something made that can do both.

Heat tape does best if recessed however if you build your own rack you would need to proper tools which would make it even expensive and even more complicated, so if you can't do that you need to allow 1/8 inch to avoid rubbing.
    Deborah Stewart