Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,931

5 members and 2,926 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Are essential oils dangerous for snakes?

I've been dealing with a bug problem for a little while now, I have been spraying lavender oil on my bed. Is it dangerous to spray in the same room as my snake? Or to have my snake on my bed afterwards? Obviously I wouldn't put her on my bed for awhile I'm just wondering about it. Or if I have to wash my covers first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Are essential oils dangerous for snakes?

Essential oils should not ever be used for any purpose around reptiles...period.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeanne For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-02-2016),PokeyTheNinja (12-02-2016)

Thanks

"pure" essential oils are made from plant extract and are non toxic it would be the same as if you had a lavender plant in your room. i see no issue here as long as its not sprayed directly on the snake
    Welcome to New Jersey Home of Taxes, Tolls, and Traffic

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tree oils (tea tree, cedar, cinnamon etc.) and citrus oils are toxic to reptiles (regardless of purity). Those oils should be avoided completely and other oils kept out of close proximity to your reptiles. Diffusing/spraying an oil into the air is not at all the same as having a plant in the room. When the oil is diffused you are forced to breathe in the oil particles from the air, which does not happen from simply having a plant in the room.
    - Emily

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-11-2021),GoingPostal (09-13-2021),nikkubus (09-11-2021),PitOnTheProwl (12-05-2016),PokeyTheNinja (12-05-2016)

Thanks
    Essential oils are incredibly dangerous to use around nearly any animal, and I have personally seen several pets of different species brought into my work for emergency treatment after coming into contact with anything from tea tree to eucalyptus to citronella to lavender. The only animal I can think of off the top of my head that is okay with EO's would be a horse. We have had a few different herps come in for treatment after coming into contact with cedar, even diluted. Cedar will sicken or kill just about anything, tea tree will drop your cat dead in under an hour and make your dog vomit itself into a coma, catnip oil will RIP your sugar gliders, and pretty much anything can cause irritation of skin and respiratory system in reptiles and other small animals, which is the reason we don't use aromatic bedding for our herps. I'd need to do some more research as my practice doesn't deal with herps very often but it is possible, just because of the global locations of the plants, that tea tree and eucalyptus may be safe for some reptiles in such diluted quantity as they would encounter in the wild IE brushing up against the leaves of the eucalyptus tree they are climbing, etc. Reptiles are not people. If you sprinkle salt on your skin, it doesn't hurt you. Sprinkle it on your gecko and you will probably kill it. Never liken herps to humans, we are not the same and we do not have the same tolerances for things. When I was a kid, my mom used to put lavender on our pillowcases to help us sleep, and while I never put my snake directly on my pillow, he did live in the same room and he never exhibited any distress from it. I was always very careful with him though because he was extremely expensive (at the time) and always washed my hands before handling him. Him being a LTC/GTP, and me being a small child, he was more of a display animal than a pet, so I didn't take him out much anyway.
    Last edited by Calider; 12-06-2016 at 03:57 PM. Reason: clarification
    -------
    0.1 Spider BP, "Sassy"
    0.1 ETB, "Ysera"
    1.0 GTP, "Craig"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calider View Post
    I'd need to do some more research as my practice doesn't deal with herps very often but it is possible, just because of the global locations of the plants, that tea tree and eucalyptus may be safe for some reptiles in such diluted quantity as they would encounter in the wild IE brushing up against the leaves of the eucalyptus tree they are climbing, etc.
    Those oils are not safe for reptiles, not even when diluted. They are among the most toxic to reptiles, in fact. Brushing up against the leaf of a whole plant is not the same as coming into contact with a highly concentrated essential oil that may have been processed in a number of ways (making it into a form which would not be found in nature).
    - Emily

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-11-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Medduussa View Post
    I've been dealing with a bug problem for a little while now, I have been spraying lavender oil on my bed. Is it dangerous to spray in the same room as my snake? Or to have my snake on my bed afterwards? Obviously I wouldn't put her on my bed for awhile I'm just wondering about it. Or if I have to wash my covers first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What kind of bug?
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    Those oils are not safe for reptiles, not even when diluted. They are among the most toxic to reptiles, in fact. Brushing up against the leaf of a whole plant is not the same as coming into contact with a highly concentrated essential oil that may have been processed in a number of ways (making it into a form which would not be found in nature).
    Okie
    -------
    0.1 Spider BP, "Sassy"
    0.1 ETB, "Ysera"
    1.0 GTP, "Craig"

Thanks

My mom sprayed some essential oils down on our carpet (without me knowing) in front of our 3 reptile (one is a ball python) cages last night because she thought it stunk in there and we were having company over that night…I freaked out and made sure it would never happen again but after it getting sprayed once (I cracked open the windows for a bit) do you think that they are ok if it never happens again?

Thankfully the company we had over was some good friends of ours who have TONS of experience with reptiles and have been keeping and studying them for over 16 years…they told us that if it was a one time thing it is fine but if it happened all the time then you have issues.
    I also freaked out because I have asthma (so way to go mom) and it bothered me so It maybe bothered the reptiles? Again…one time thing wont happen again, what do you guys think? (Sorry to piggyback off your post )
    Last edited by Claire&snek; 09-11-2021 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Old thread (5 years) but important safety topic- so I won't criticize your post. Just want to point out that essential oils are NOT all the same- there's way too many kinds to generalize as to their potential effects on reptiles & whether or not your pets are safe now. And oils don't evaporate the way other (water-based) things do either, so I think it's time for a good steam-cleaning of the carpet, that would be safer, IMO.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (09-11-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast