Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,783

3 members and 1,780 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Favourite ball python substrates and why?

I currently use forest floor cyprus mulch in a 20gal tank. However, I have a T10 on order and an almost unlimited supply of newspaper end rolls available so I may try that when they get here.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Medduussa View Post
    Just curious on others opinions myself I usually use a mixture of 50/50 aspen and Eco earth! Sometimes just Eco earth, depending on how I'm feeling lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aspen mixed with Eco Earth? Aspen molds very easily and Eco Earth is dusty when dry. That's like the worst of both worlds haha. I personally used to use aspen for all my snakes but have since switched to ReptiChips.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BR8080 View Post
    I currently use forest floor cyprus mulch in a 20gal tank. However, I have a T10 on order and an almost unlimited supply of newspaper end rolls available so I may try that when they get here.
    No....just no....getting a nice sexy T10 and you are going to line it with cheap ugly newspaper!!?? Use something good and do your poor snake a favor

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (01-16-2017),KWAddict (04-06-2017)

Thanks
    All you cheap newspaper people!!! Not sure if its true but I have heard from a few people that large snakes kept on newspaper have developed what they call "pancaking' where the snake cant really get a grip on the stuff so it will flatten itself out to try and grip more and after years, they lose their shape. I heard mostly from boa guys. Not sure if it's BS or not but it does make sense as the newspaper slides all over.

Have heard of guys taping the newspaper to each other so it cant slide under itself leaving exposed cage flooring. I still say just use a real substrate. If you only have a couple snakes, its going to be fairly cheap. Heck even with my snakes, I only go through about 1 brick of ReptiChips a month and that's with 7' and 5' boas who piss all the time and a retic who is like a mini fire hose permanently attached to a hydrant lol.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    No....just no....getting a nice sexy T10 and you are going to line it with cheap ugly newspaper!!?? Use something good and do your poor snake a favor

LMAO - OK OK OK - Cyprus mulch it will be and I already have a few plastic plants (including a long vine for the shelf)

I have been happy with the cyprus thus far as it is very absorbent and easy to spot clean.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BR8080 View Post
    LMAO - OK OK OK - Cyprus mulch it will be and I already have a few plastic plants (including a long vine for the shelf)

I have been happy with the cyprus thus far as it is very absorbent and easy to spot clean.
    The vines are awesome. I just put a silk vine from Michaels Craft store in Caesar's cage and today after shedding, he climbed up there and checked it out lol. I think it got the Caesar seal of approval haha.

Oh and if you didn't think of it yet, I used plastic zip ties to secure the vine just off the shelf floor through the vent slots. Works awesome to keep the vine secure and give a nice little space under it for Caesar to sit although he spent the time climbing on top of it lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 01-16-2017 at 04:17 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (01-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I used paper towels when I got a mite infection, but other than that it doesn't eliminate odors at all and I can tell right away when my big snakes pee, it makes the whole room stink. With 20 snakes on paper towels I was checking all the tubs daily and cleaning at least 1-3 tubs each day. I switched to Aspen, my snakes liked to burrow in it but it doesn't hold moisture, and it molds easy. doesn't really eliminate smells much, just a little better than nothing LOL. The biggest problem is that I had a few snakes get a mouthful when feeding and they went off of feed. I tried newspaper for a bit but it makes my white snakes turn black. I also tried cypress, it ended up drying out and it was hard to get wet again, plus the stuff I had went bad within a couple weeks and started smelling like sulfur. I watched videos about Eco earth, what a mess...

My latest substrate is Reptichip coconut husk. I think it's wonderful! It absorbs tons of water and totally eliminates all smells. My newest setup is that I put about an inch of damp Reptichip in the tub. Then put the snake directly on the bottom of the plastic tub with nothing between the snake and the tub, right over the hot spot. Then I'll put Reptichip all around him. If they make a mess I'll move the snake over and spot clean the bottom of the tub and the a small amount of soiled Reptichip around the hot spot. I also feed twice a week so spot clean and spray the substrate with water twice a week. My substrate lasts 2 months between replacement. And when it starts getting a bit stinky when I spray it down I let it dry out and use it for my mice, that really cuts the mouse smell down to almost zero. For my mice I mix in a couple handfuls of used dry Reptichip with shredded paper for substrate, changing it out twice a week instead of every other day with just shredded paper, I use probably 10% Reptichip and 90% shredded paper to stretch it out a bit longer. My rats don't stink that much so I can do all shredded paper changing out substrate only twice a week.

I'm very happy with Reptichip, the only down side is the cost. But considering how long it lasts I think it's worth every penny. Once I expand my operation I may look into ordering it by the pallet. I also had a hard time getting it apart, but found that I can put a block in a tub with several gallons of water and let it sit for about an hour, it puffs up and totally falls apart with minimal effort. I also have some light surface mold on some new blocks, not sure what that is from, but if I keep it just damp instead of wet the mold doesn't stick around. I'm thinking it may actually be my well water instead of the Reptichip.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 01-16-2017 at 08:45 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (01-17-2017)

Registered User LemonMeringuePython's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medduussa View Post
    Just curious on others opinions myself I usually use a mixture of 50/50 aspen and Eco earth! Sometimes just Eco earth, depending on how I'm feeling lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the info. I'm preparing to get my first and already have Eco Earth for my s. I never knew you could use an Eco Earth mixture for their substrate, so this is handy for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12