Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,478

3 members and 3,475 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Colony of feeder rats that are optimaly cared for! But seem sick

Breeding colony of 4 racks totaling 26 tubs
    watering system with each rack
    Food- rodent blocks/chow

I really care a lot about my feeders for my ball pythons
    Clean out tubs each week.
    Never without food water

Recently and its almost always a female. Never my male breeders but anything from weans to adults. I keep my males for feeders and grow up all females for breeders. But I keep having about 1 or 2 day die.
    Reason being there getting thin feal the ribs and eventually die but it seemed like a lot all at once.
    Any thoughts
    And is there any problem of using the same males for years and growing up his babies to breed back. I have incorporated other rats but with 30 dying a month ...
    All my hard work for feeders is basically useless when I have 135 rats that won't breed

Any help please no disrespect

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Re: Colony of feeder rats that are optimaly cared for! But seem sick

There are several viruses you may have running through them. If anyone has come in to your rat room they could have brought it in, if you sell to or go into any shop or other breeders facility you could have gotten it that way. It's remotely possible that your feed was not exactly as the ingredients are labeled (I had this happen twice over the years) or it may be genetic. Mico runs through all rats and will occasionally flair up.

This is an excellent group with some really smart breeders in it who know far more than I do. Let them know what's going on and you'll get better answers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/394092487382461/
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-28-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Yep. Mycoplasma affects mice too. I breed them and have had to consult my exotic vet on the issue of intermittent coughing and sneezing of one of the female breeders. She advised me to spread out the enclosures of which I am only housing two with 1.1 in each. Deep cleaning and disinfecting is paramount. Especially in tank enclosures which is what I have for my small setup. The substrate is important too. Vet recommended "Yesterday's News" which is a pelleted paper substrate that is dust free. The ammonia content in mice urine is one of the problematic chemicals.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Before this issue did you add new rats to your colony? Did you quarantine them if you did?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    If you are breeding harem style and the dead are thin, you may have overbred females that can't cope with the strain.

If it is random rats of all ages(except for the adult males), I would suspect the food. Sometimes when I've had to feed dog food or something other than the regular rat block, I have rats just fall over dead and they always seem thin too.

Just my own observations with my colony.

If you have a lot of sneezing, then first guess will be that myco, which can kill a lot of your rats. I treated with livestock antibiotics from Tractor Supply the one time I had it run through my colony. I still lost quite a few but haven't had an issue with it since.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-28-2016)

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Wow everyone thank you very much. This is the most non disrespectfull strait forward answers I've ever had. The most help I've had on a forum. Thanks.

I have introduced about other rats. I will have to keep records from now on.

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

I have come to realize before with Overbred females and have them extra time from breeding again. I realized it was not helping have large litters and hurting overdoing the female threw stress so I like I said Gave an extra two weeks
    Last edited by Paradoxtal_Pythons; 11-29-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    If you are breeding harem style and the dead are thin, you may have overbred females that can't cope with the strain.

If it is random rats of all ages(except for the adult males), I would suspect the food. Sometimes when I've had to feed dog food or something other than the regular rat block, I have rats just fall over dead and they always seem thin too.

Just my own observations with my colony.

If you have a lot of sneezing, then first guess will be that myco, which can kill a lot of your rats. I treated with livestock antibiotics from Tractor Supply the one time I had it run through my colony. I still lost quite a few but haven't had an issue with it since.
    What are the livestock antibiotics and where do you get them

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

One thing to note that's very important. My neighbor was having problems with rats and I'm not saying that I've never lost a rat from my colony, but don't ever remember losing a rat, but she was having a problem wit rats. .. I have three cats and multiple rat and mouse traps everywhere in my she'd where the rat racks are.

She had the pest people come and they did everything they could to kill rats. Is there any way they could have come back to my rat racks where the food is on top of my wire mesh to eat and spread something.

They all seemed to start song at the same time, same thing skinny weak and then dead. Never happened before. I may have had some die because of Florida heat but never got skinny.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Bad bag of feed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast