Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,863

1 members and 2,862 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Virgin BP owner

Thanks

Virgin BP owner

I just bought my first snake, a ball python, last thursday. I fed it on saturday, a live mouse, and he ate it within 20 minutes (im assuming thats a reasonable amount of time). I just wanted to post here to get some facts about these creatures.. something that the pet store employees dont comprehend. So to the facts. Now this is what they told me.
    1) a 20 gallon tank (which is what i have him in, hes 18 inches long atm) is fine for him for life. the tank looks almost to small for him now. so i think this is false.

2) handle him as much as possible. now this is one i hope is true because since i got him i couldnt put him down, hes so cool. but my uncle owns all kinds of snakes and he told me not to touch the snake for at least 2 days after feeding, so i havent just incase.
    so if you all could clarify those 2 points id greatly appreciate it as im sure ill be posting more as time goes by. Also ill take any advice/beginner tips you have to share. Thanks alot in advance and when i get home from work ill ty and post a pic.

Thanks

Re: Virgin BP owner

A 20 gallon tank is appropriate size for a juvenile (1-2 years) ball python.....I would personally move up to a 55 gallon as your "baby" grows into a adult. This is not recomended until your snake is larger because #1 you don't want to stress your snake to much room can do this ecspecially to baby, #2 to much room is just that, a waste of space. the 55 gallon is just a personal preference though. A 20-30 gallon tank is suitable for your BP for its lifetime... A couple of must have are as follows: A hide spot in the tank for your snake (small, tight, and dark is what your snake is looking for, even if it looks like your snake won't fit it will definitely try) I recommend a small clean cardboard box or a plastic tupperware dish with a hole cut in it. Make sure one side of the tank is cooler than other (i.e. heat lamps/pad/rocks) are on one side, no heat sources on the other. I would put my water on the cool side of the tank. You also want to have a water bowl big enough for your snake to completly submerge its body into. (do not make it to deep for the snake, it really doesn't want to swim, but it can). Your uncle is right about not handling your snake after it eats. BP in particular have a reputation of regurgitating their food, and this can happen from handling you snake to soon after eating, although it is not likely. one more thing to keep in mind after your snake starts to digest its food and you are able to handle them he is likely going to take a crap when you are handleing him, just a heads up...

Banned
    Thanks

1) a 30 gallon should last for his whole life
    2)for the 1st week u have him u should not handle him to minimize stress and 2 days after feeding to handle is just fine

Thanks

well i am also very new to this and i currently have my 17 " BP in a 20 g aquarium. i feed for the 3rd time last saturday and i leave my bp alone for at least 48 hrs just to be safe. as far as the tank size, from what have heard and know, u will need at least a 30 g in the future. i try and keep my handling sessions no longer than 15 - 20 minutes and i try not to disturb the snake unless it is out of its hide.

Thanks

awesome thanks for the info. ill try and post a pic, if i can find someone to host it. Another question would be when its an adult would it be bad to offer it as much space as possible? i have a 75 gallon tank i could setup for him if it doesnt stress him out as an adult.

Thanks

Here's a link to the caresheet - http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=52

Do NOT use heat rocks!!!! You will be taking your snake to the vet to treat the burns. Two hides are preferable one on the hot side and one on the cool, so the snake doesn't have to sacrifice security for thermoregulation. Good luck and make sure you have your temperatures correct. 92 hot side and 82 cool side w/ humidty at about 50-60%. Get a digital thermometer to measure these stats!! VERY IMPORTANT! Good luck and congrats on the new baby!
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand