Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,810

1 members and 2,809 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Emerald tree boa help!!

Thank you so much yes he's beautiful I hope he gets even better once the issue is solved. I will set him up now, check his mouth for anything and soak him for at least 20 minutes since it's the first time and I'll go from there secondly I will have to wait till he defécates (but how if he's not eating?)
    will post pictures soon today.
    Last edited by Panic2336; 11-21-2016 at 11:27 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Panic2336 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-21-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Panic2336 View Post
    Thank you so much yes he's beautiful I hope he gets even better once the issue is solved. I will set him up now, check his mouth for anything and soak him for at least 20 minutes since it's the first time and I'll go from there secondly I will have to wait till he defécates (but how if he's not eating?)
    will post pictures soon today.
    Well don't let the collection of the stool sample deter you making a appointment for the exotic vet. If you can get it that's good. If not , so be it. The vet will have the ability to collect tissues for microscopic testing once you get there.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 11-21-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    They must have been able to see something I couldn't on my phone. Is it really the ribs you see and not muscle striations? For some reason Photobucket and my gadgets do not get along. I hate even trying to use it. On my tablet the site repeatedly crashes ever since they updated the site.

It may be worth a call to the source you bought the snake and see exactly what you got and what if anything has been given to the snake, as is any previous treatments.

Testing a sample would be nice to strike those problems off your list but I still believe the issues are more with the setup. Now that you are getting your temps better and you added some security I would leave the snake alone as much as possible to relax and settle in. Do some soaks but other than what is necessary I would leave the snake alone until it settles in and starts to eat regularly.

I would also really work on getting that larger cage sooner rather than later. It will allow you to provide a better environment for the snake to be able to find just the temps its looking for. The one it is in just does not give that many choices.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Yes I believe he's dehydrated he's skinny i can really see ribs and spine.
    As soon as I got him off the cage I notice 3 mites crawling on him, that tells me he has dozens under the scales so I left the guy in a plastic container for 40 minutes to get him nice and wet. Then I treated him with reptile spray, rubbed all over his body very well, I tried to get it on him as best possible, I did use a Qtip near eyes and mouth.
    Checked his mouth and everything seems normal nice pink color, denture seemed ok aswell, I did notice like a very very thin red line on the bottom jaw gum kinda like a line of blood or maybe like a vein maybe it's from me trying to open his mouth with a Qtip, maybe he scratched himself with fang or maybe I scratched him by accident but don't seem something to worry about (for now) I read a lot about mites so I ended up deciding to dismantle his set up completely clean everything as best possible washed the whole cage and treated with reptile spray.
    I'm don't mind loosing my vicariamente as long as it helps with the mite infestation and the wellbeing of the animal.

PS: will see if he gets any better over the course of time if I notice he deteriorates then I'll take him to a exotic vet. Keep finger cross everybody, I don't wish what I'm going thru not even to my worst enemy even tho I have no enemies.
    Last edited by Panic2336; 11-21-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks
    Now we have mites!?! You are lucky you have a well mannered ETB.

The Reptile Spray is a great choice.

When you are cleaning everything use that on all of it. When I had mites once I put everything in the bathtub and gave it a good spray.

Also when you clean don't forget to clean around the cage, even the floor. I had carpet and even sprayed it well and then vacuumed.

Mites only stress the snake so this paired with the other issues is going to make it really important to leave the snake alone now.

Mites alone will make most snakes stop eating.
    KMG

Thanks

Sad but true.
    That's correct, I found mites on my guy. I have never mites on him first time and they were adult mites, glad I have a petshop a block away from my house so I went and got me a bottle of reptile spray.
    That's exactly what I did, I put water bowls, perches, background and everything I had in my set up in the bathtub and ran really hot water over it for about 15 minutes after that I treated everything with reptile spray, I did the exact same thing with my exo terra washed it as best possible treated with reptile spray inside, corners, sides tried to do a good job which I hope I did.
    Now he's back in his enclosure and seems very stressed because he be breathing heavily so I'll leave him alone for a few days hoping for the best.

QUESTION:
    1:what do you mean I'm lucky to have a well mannered ETB?

2: how did I get mites? He's my only reptile my g/f has hamsters but I don't think they transmitted mites (I can be wrong) could be from branches I picked for perches maybe?

3: How many times did you treat your snake/s and enclosure with reptile spray to fully get rid of the mites'?
    Last edited by Panic2336; 11-21-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panic2336 View Post
    Sad but true.
    That's correct, I found mites on my guy. I have never mites on him first time and they were adult mites, glad I have a petshop a block away from my house so I went and got me a bottle of reptile spray.
    That's exactly what I did, I put water bowls, perches, background and everything I had in my set up in the bathtub and ran really hot water over it for about 15 minutes after that I treated everything with reptile spray, I did the exact same thing with my exo terra washed it as best possible treated with reptile spray inside, corners, sides tried to do a good job which I hope I did.
    Now he's back in his enclosure and seems very stressed because he be breathing heavily so I'll leave him alone for a few days hoping for the best.

QUESTION:
    1:what do you mean I'm lucky to have a well mannered ETB?

2: how did I get mites? He's my only reptile my g/f has hamsters but I don't think they transmitted mites (I can be wrong) could be from branches I picked for perches maybe?

3: How many times did you treat your snake/s and enclosure with reptile spray to fully get rid of the mites'?
    A ETB can have a nasty attitude and with their teeth being so large if you had one like that you were trying to handle and treat for mites you would have had a lot of fun dealing with it. When I say fun I mean a p.i.t.a.

Mites can be brought in by you after a visit to a place with mites. They could have been on something you brought home from the pet store. You should always clean anything you are going add to a snake cage before placing it in with them.

I was lucky and got them killed quick. After the first treatment I did the second treatment and have not seen a live mite since. That was years ago. The three Bloods I bought online arrived with them. I was not pleased.
    KMG

Thanks

Oh I see, yes I'm fortunate because this guy is not aggressive at all! He's so docile that's why I don't think he's wild caught he's very very shy, hisses a little bit but he just wants to go his way he does not want no trouble he just wants to be there ... has never shown me any type of aggression. I'm surprised but happy at the same time. When he sees me he hides his head doesn't get on strike mode or anything so that's pretty cool. That being said I respect him and give him his space after all it's a wild animal anything could happen.

Thanks
    Don't forget to treat the floor and other items that are near by.
    KMG

Thanks

Just spoke to backwaterreptiles and yes he's wild caught, that solves the mistery of the mites they also said to feed him rats, now should I try adult rats ? You seen his picture he's about 3ft not very thick should I ?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast