Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,607

1 members and 2,606 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Re: Emerald tree boa help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Panic2336 View Post
    Ok I posted a pic of my enclosure which has a temp and humidity gauge so I'm always checking those things I also put some art paper on the sides of the cage for privacy and to insulate, my next more will be getting a temp gun to be extra sure about what's happening in there.
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...3/img_0343.jpg
    What size is that cage?

An adult ETB is suggested to have at least a 3ft x 2ft x 2ft. You seem to have the height but not the width. Also you need to have at least two perches but three would be better. The snake needs to be able to regulate itself by moving up and down the enclosure by moving to the different perches.

The analog gauge you have is actually pretty accurate but it is no replacement for have a IR temp gun. Keeping arboreal snakes they are incredibly valuable. You need to be able to know the temp of each perch so you know has the proper hotspot. A regular thermometer or even a digital one with a probe will not keep your keeping like a temp gun will.

The paper on the sides is a nice addition and should help the snake feel more secure.

If you are able I suggest you check out PVC Cages. That is what my GTP has been in since 2012 and what I just ordered my new ETB. I got mine the 3x2x2 with perches, led light, and rhp. I also got three greenery bundles as my first cage could use some pieces replaced. My total with all of that including shipping was $416. He sent me an email and said Im about 3 weeks out for delivery.

http://pvccages.com/

They make great cages for arboreal snakes and make keeping the temps and humidity a snap. You will also need a nice tstat for the rhp. For that I suggest Herpstat from Spyder Robotics. All four of my tstats are from them and none have ever given me an issue.

http://spyderrobotics.com/

Also I can not help you if you do not help me. By failing to answer the few questions I ask you make it harder for me to help you as I have to work with little information.

So again. How are you preparing your meals for your snake?
    Last edited by KMG; 11-19-2016 at 07:02 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    One more thing.

If you are getting a 80F reading from the thermometer near the perch it tells me my guess of a low temp hotspot is correct. Then with such a low reading at the top of the cage the bottom of the cage has to be really low as well. Especially with the moisture that appears to be there. A night drop of 75 in the cool area is alright but I would not want those low temps during the day.

I cant guess what the hotspot is as that depends on the wattage of the bulb, type of bulb, and the surrounding temps. This is where the temp gun is so valuable as it can tell you what the actual perch temp is.

The way you setup sits you snake's only options are places that are not warm enough. If the snake knows its too cold it will not eat as it knows it will not digest properly.
    Last edited by KMG; 11-19-2016 at 07:40 PM.
    KMG

Thanks

Will do thank you

Thanks

Will do thank you
    Did you miss my post before my last?

Im really trying to help but you are not making it easy and you are making me feel like Im wasting my time when you fail to answer the simple questions I have asked.

Im here to help and like you want the best for your snake.
    KMG

Thanks

Sorry mate I did miss your post the only time he ate was a live meal and by preparing what I did was I put the mousse in the cage then as soon as he saw it he ate it. So if I read 80f where he perches at the top of the cage ... about what should my substrate temp be? He has a 40W exo Terra heat bulb. Thank you!

Thanks

Ok so here's my upgrade, added a new perch right under the heat lamp. Total 3.
    (note only upgrade was one more perch under heat lamp)

Exo terra 18x18x24

HEATING:

Perch under heat lamp 100F.
    Middle perch 91F.
    Front perch 82F.
    Note all temperature were taken from the left side of the cage closest to heat lamp.

HUMIDITY:
    85-90% and dropping slowly thru the day down to 65-70% when reaching night time.

LIGHTNING:
    Daylight:
    40 watts zoo med day light heat bulb.
    T8 flourecent tropical 25 UVB from Zilla.

Nighttime:
    40 watts zoo med night light bulb (red)
    usually off because temperatures stay between 70F and 75F.

Emerald tree boa perching on middle perch (temp 91F)
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...3/img_0374.jpg
    Last edited by Panic2336; 11-20-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks

Ok so here's my upgrade, added a new perch right under the heat lamp. Total 3.
    (note only upgrade was one more perch under heat lamp)

Exo terra 18x18x24

This cage is not large enough. If you can get him eating you can use a bit but it will not be able to live its entire life in it.

HEATING:

Perch under heat lamp 100F.
    Middle perch 91F.
    Front perch 82F.
    Note all temperature were taken from the left side of the cage closest to heat lamp.

From your note Im guessing these were taken with the analog thermometer? Not the best, but at least its something. The first perch is to close to the light and to warm. The hotspot should be 88-90. 100 on the side of the stick means directly under the stick is going to be much hotter plus if the snake was to coil on it the snake's back is even closer to the lamp which makes it even warmer. The other two perches are good so I would move the top perch somewhere below the second.

HUMIDITY:
    85-90% and dropping slowly thru the day down to 65-70% when reaching night time.
    Your humidity is good.

LIGHTNING:
    Daylight:
    40 watts zoo med day light heat bulb.
    T8 flourecent tropical 25 UVB from Zilla.

Whatever size bulbs works is good. If it turns out you are between sizes you can always get a larger watt bulb and place it on a dimmer to turn down the output. The snake does not need UV so maybe some of those plants are live. That's good if they are, it helps humidity.

Nighttime:
    40 watts zoo med night light bulb (red)
    usually off because temperatures stay between 70F and 75F.

None of my cages ever get lower than 75F. I would turn that night lamp on each night and keep the temps up. Nothing bad will happen with supplying good temps all the time, but bad things will happen if bad temps are offered even some of the time. This is also related to your question about the substrate temps. I like to keep my cage floor no lower than 75. That gives my snakes a great range of options but they are all still within the ideal range. These snakes will come down at night and crawl around. They will swim in their water bowl, if large enough, and sometimes coil on the ground and just chill. With that you don't want your snake going down there and getting to cold.

Emerald tree boa perching on middle perch (temp 91F)
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...3/img_0374.jpg

Your cage looks nice and I think you are close to getting it correct. You want the perches to be on three different levels instead of close to the same level. Id move the one showing 100 down below the other two. Go here and check out there pics. You can see how they stagger and distance there perches. If you go through "Design Your Cage" it has different pics for each size. You can just select them to see the different pics.
    http://pvccages.com/
    Last edited by KMG; 11-20-2016 at 01:16 PM.
    KMG

Thanks

Thank you so much ! You're being a great great help I really appreciate that.
    Okay so my middle perch already is the "hot spot" being 91ish Fahrenheit correct?
    I will lower the first perch closer to the light as you said, that will give me something lower than 91ish Fahrenheit okay. Will try to get my floor to 75F.
    Yes live plants in terrarium with fake bottom for draining. Earth worms for keeping soil clean.

By the way I'm aware of the cage will not last him his whole life but then again he's 3ft long about 10-12 month old I will be getting him something much bigger when I have the chance.
    Last edited by Panic2336; 11-20-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks

Thank you so much ! You're being a great great help I really appreciate that.
    Okay so my middle perch already is the "hot spot" being 91ish Fahrenheit correct?
    I will lower the first perch closer to the light as you said, that will give me something lower than 91ish Fahrenheit okay. Will try to get my floor to 75F.
    Yes live plants in terrarium with fake bottom for draining. Earth worms for keeping soil clean.
    Yes, if that perch is in fact 90F that will be the hotspot. Then the other two will be lesser temps so it can regulate itself properly.

An IR temp gun is still very important. When I got one I can not tell you how wrong some of my temps were. It showed me that many surface temps were way off from where I would have thought them to be. It really showed me that analog thermometers are really not that great for trying to determine a snakes warm zones and even though the digital thermometer with a probe are better they are still no where near as good as a temp gun.
    KMG

Thanks

Will try to get a temp gun as soon as possible and I hope that the problem is temperature and not something worst I just hope he's not sick in any way he's my first arboreal I try to do as much research as possible but can't find much about these wonderful creatures. You said his body mass looks good so that got me feeling better. Can I see your gtp's set up please thanks !

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast