Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,817

1 members and 2,816 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Re: Emerald tree boa help!!

Quote Originally Posted by boasperu View Post
    Dear Sir,
    My name is Ryan Richards. I'm the manager of Captive Breeding EIRL, Iquitos, Peru. Please contact me at boasperu@gmail.com for possible help.
    Sincerely,
    Ryan

The purpose of the forum is to help NOT spam....

Thanks

Hi,

From the photos, I would say it's on the thin side. When you say it won't eat, maybe its not hungry or what you are offering it, it doesn't like.

Some questions:

1. What generation is it? Wild caught, F1, born in captivity of at least one wild caught parent, or F2, born in captivity of both parents born in captivity.

2. What kind of food are you offering it? I always give mine live prey no larger than their mid-section. For the little guy like yours, I would try a newborn rat of a fury little mouse. Offer it with a feeding tong and see if its hungry. If it is, it should take it immediately.

3. What kind of water is it drinking? Here in the Amazon, the rain/well water is very soft and with nothing in it - like battery water.

4. Here in Iquitos, Peru where I am, the average temperature in the shade is usually between 71-73ºF at aroung 5 am to 86-88ºF around 2-3 pm, with humidity of 85-95%, with a slight wind.

5. I have learned how to tell if a Corallus is hungry by observing them for many years. Sometimes they aren't hungry for 6 months and other times they are hungry all of the time. They are usually hungry when you see their head outside of their coil and looking down. I like a cage of at least 6 feet high.

6. Has it been given any medication? Perhaps some Metronidalzole PO 50mg/kg may help.

Ryan Richards
    Captive Breeding EIRL
    Iquitos, Peru

Thanks

What is its country of origin? I ask because you mentioned finding mites. Here in Iquitos, I have never seen a mite in 25 years.
    Also, some have mentioned dehydration. I spray mine down day and night with water. It rains about 12 feet a year, rains year around. You will notice, the Corallus will drink the water off its scales like a vacuum cleaner.

Thanks

Some have mentioned about Emeralds being aggressive. I have never encountered an aggressive Emerald in the Amazon (Iquitos). I have never been struck by one, not like the Boa constrictor or the Epicrates cenchria, they will hit you at the first opportunity. Also, the Corallus hortalanus I have found to be very aggressive, but not the Emerald from here.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456