Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,930

5 members and 2,925 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Angry Reptile Universe

about 2 months ago I purchased my first BP from a local shop " Reptile Universe" in Eugene. Since the breeder is friends with the owner they did not tell me the baby BP's they had out were sick. few days go by and I notice my BP has mites as well as stopped eating. The shop never called to tell me the rest of the clutch passed away. another week goes by and my snake passed away to weak to handle might treatment. I talked with own of the managers and he offered to replace the snake at no charge, get it from a different breeder and keep it separate to ensure its safety and health. we get the snake home and the box they put her in for travel had dead mites on the inside.... I picked the snake up less than 5hrs ago and its foaming at the mouth, rubbing its head on everything and open mouth breathing. we took it back to the shop and they said to raise the temperature to 90degrees (without explaining that it had an RI) and told us to bring it back on Tuesday if its not doing any better so they could observe it. first I'm frustrated that the replacement snake was made available even though its sick, second that they didn't immediately take it back to treat it, and 3 that the snake immediately let me boop it and is super friendly and gorgeous...and now might die on me yet again.

I would not recommend this place for purchasing pets. Next time I will be going to a friends favorite breeder instead.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    There are some issues with the place it sounds like.

It seems to me they told you the breeder gave them sick snakes that were mite infested. It sounds to me that the store is the one with the problems. As a professional in this area they should be able to see and treat most issues with their animals. Your story tells me that they either don't know how or just don't care. I will say that if a place gave me one snake with mites I would bet any other snake they gave me would also have them. They are going to need some deep cleaning to get rid of the lil pains.

Also most any snake with mites will stop eating. If the new snake has signs of dead mites I would probably treat the snake as well in a couple days. What did you use to treat the mites on the first snake?

Also with the new snake you are going to want to provide a perfect climate for it. If their is a chance it has an RI and/or mites it is going to have problems and providing a perfect climate will give it the best chance to get better.

If you would like we could go over your set up and make sure it is all on point.

I will also add that when I bought my GTP it had a RI that the owner must have known about and didn't disclose. I took care of it and got the full workup to get him better. One thing they had me do was raise the temp and humidity while I was treating it. Having been through that if I had to treat another snake I would follow the same steps and raise my BPs hotspot to 92 and keep the humidity bumped a bit.

If this snake doesn't get better going straight to the source is your best option. Take out this middle man. I wouldn't ever go back either. You can bring home mites unknowingly so if I know a place has a history of mites I would steer clear.

In addition if you do get another snake you are going to need a deep cleaning for all your snake gear too. May not be bad to do one anyway. Who knows what the store sent you home with.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hmmm guess I need to find a new source for feeders. Don't wanna deal with any issues. Sad as one of the few places in town.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I would take that snake back tomorrow not Tuesday, demand a full refund, and never set foot in there again.

They would also be put on blast on the FaunaClassifieds BOI as well as every review page (e.g. Google, Yelp, Facebook feedback groups) that I could find.

It's pretty much a given that if a store has mites then everything in there will be infested, simply because the snakes are living in close quarters, and customers/employees don't scrub down each time they handle a different critter.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-19-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Reptile Universe

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. You also would do better shopping on bp.net and it's amazing breeders for healthy animals and or order supplies online for your peace of mind.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 11-19-2016 at 09:03 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Pet shops have terrible bio-security. Just the nature of the business.

Much better to deal with a careful breeder who ships the animals out. You will notice most of those breeders don't accept returns - they don't want an animal back that might have been exposed to disease at the purchaser's home.

I see this in goats and poultry too - no visitors! Any new stock is quarantined, and some farmers are working with "closed" herds/flocks, in that that they aren't bringing any new stock on to the farm they are just breeding with what they already have. For those that sell, they will probably arrange a meeting at the parking lot of a local shopping center.

Everyone just has far too much to loose.
    Last edited by distaff; 11-19-2016 at 09:33 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    OP do you mind if I share this in one of the local herp groups?