Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,937

0 members and 2,937 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Weird pigmentation change

Sometime in September, one of my crested geckos got grabbed by one of my cats. The cat's claws nicked him in a couple of places, but he didn't seem to get any kind of infection and he survived the ordeal just fine. I did treat his wounds with Neosporin at the time and took him to a recommended herp vet in the area, who cleared him.

Within the last week or so I've noticed that all the spots where the cat's claws nicked him have turned bright red. He's a patternless yellow dal, so this is a pretty big difference from his normal coloration.

I took him to the vet again (a different vet at a different practice; the first one didn't have an appointment available until several days out from when I called), who examined him and didn't see any signs of infection or anything that he thought worrying.

Has anyone else had experience with anything like this? Should I get a second vet opinion? Or is this just a weird quirk? He seems to be acting normal and is still eating regularly, so he seems fine except for the red spots.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is probably just scarring of sorts. I have seen areas on crested geckos that were injuries that have already healed turn a red color like what you describe. I have specifically seen it on the crests of females, where the males bit them during breeding (but it didn't turn red until a few months after the fact). If the vet didn't see any signs of infection and the areas are healed up it is probably fine. Just keep an eye on it.
    - Emily

Thanks

Re: Weird pigmentation change

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    I have specifically seen it on the crests of females, where the males bit them during breeding (but it didn't turn red until a few months after the fact).
    That's probably exactly what it is, then, because it didn't turn red until almost a month and a half after the initial attack. I've been watching him closely regardless, of course, but this makes me feel a little better. Thanks!