Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,096

2 members and 3,094 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Update on my non reptile babies

Hi everyone! It's been a few years since I was active on this forum, but I've kind of been drawn back. I'm not sure who all is around who I would remember or might remember me, but I figured I would do a little update! A little over a year ago, I got married, moved into a new apartment, and when that lease ended we bought a house. So life has just gotten in the way of me being too active online.

Some of you may know that I keep ferrets. Sadly, Gadget, my silver mitt, passed away from cancer about a year ago. We still have Sonic, our sable blaze, but she's five, so we have opted to not get any others for the time being . She's doing well on her own though.

September of last year we went decided to go get ONE cat, and ended up adopting these two.

The Tortoiseshell is Leeloo.

She somehow ended up in a high kill shelter as a very young kitten, but a local rescue pulled her and I found her at an adoption event. She has a funny backwards tail, plays fetch, won't stay off of shoulders, and sounds like she's smoked a pack a day for her entire life. She's currently two years old and is the weirdest cat I've ever had. She loves everyone, and we take her with us wherever we can on her leash.

The flame-point siamese is Marlon.

He was found living on the streets at about two or three years old. He was matted, emaciated, sick, frostbitten, and had a broken jaw with an infected tooth. He ended up in a different high kill shelter, where he was marked to be put to sleep due to his injuries. Thankfully this same rescue pulled him, and treated him. He ended up losing his tooth, and ate like he had never seen food in his life. He ended up weighing 19 lbs, but with a good diet and lots of excercise we've gotten him down to a much healthier weight. He still begs like he is starving though.

I ended up being so grateful to this rescue for what they've done with cats that I now volunteer there for a good portion of my free time. I love working with the cats and seeing them find good homes.

And then a few months ago we adopted Midna from Animal Humane New Mexico.

(This first picture isn't my picture, it's from the adoption site)

She was found on the reservation, with two siblings and her mom, all emaciated. She was brought to a high kill shelter. I don't know what happened to the mom, but the puppies were all pulled at two and a half weeks old. They ended up in a foster home, and at seven weeks we adopted her. Animal Humane listed them as Australian Shepherd, and one of her siblings looks exactly like one. But honestly we have no idea what she is. She's a fantastic dog, and has been super trainable, but I think the separation from her mother at such a young age has caused some slight issues. She is very afraid of other people and other dogs. We've been socializing her as much as possible, going to training classes and puppy playtimes, but she takes a long time to warm up to people. She's getting better with more exposure but our trainer thinks she may always be a little stand offish. As I said, once she warms up she does great. She's about four and a half months old now, and I couldn't ask for a better dog.

So those are my newest animals. Still just the one snake though. Maybe that will change now that we have a house and don't have to deal with awful landlords. Thanks to those who took the time to read everything!

Just for fun, here's Midna and Leeloo for halloween:

-Shann

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shann For This Useful Post:

cristacake (11-15-2016),Fraido (11-15-2016),Reinz (11-15-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Update on my non reptile babies

Wow, those are great stories about your rescues. They are quite fortunate to be in your home and they look great too!

With my two, I'm not sure who rescued whom?

Whisper and Dolly, Rough Collies
    Last edited by Reinz; 11-15-2016 at 02:35 AM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.