Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,274

1 members and 3,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Tegus breeding out of season?

Is it possible that tegus breed out of season?

I always though tegus breed after emerging from brumation for about 2 months and my plan was to separate the females during this time because I do not want to breed them. I do not live in North America where many of the literature written by breeders are from, but our climate follows the same pattern (winter and summer are the same months), although it has less extreme temperatures both summer and winters. It is just starting to get cold here after a long hot summer, but one of my female tegu seems to be displaying gravid behaviours of nesting. She does not seem to be aggressive nor any appetite changes though and she does not look swollen with eggs either, just looks normal maybe a little chubby. No I did not see any mating although I could have missed it and a male did chase her around a bit, but that male chases another male around as well. Despite all that, I put in a box of hay and she is going to town with it. Pushing and pulling the hay into a pile. Before I put in hay, I also notice she was digging in a corner and saw water there with no urates (I heard they regurgitate water to their nests).

Despite many people deliberately trying, NO ONE has been able to breed tegus where I am from, and the general talk here is that the winters aren't cold enough. Here I am and I don't want to breed them and I am thinking one is gravid.

Besides, they have NOT just come out from brumation, is it possible that they bred? This is something I really don't need right now with whats going on in my life at the moment. I thought they had to cycle to breed, and people like Langerwerf said if they even miss one winter they will never breed ever...

I did have a false alarm before when someone sold me a chubby female as a male last year, and lied about her being housed alone before. Got an ultrasound and she was having a "mock" pregnancy but no calcified eggs.
    Last edited by hungba; 11-12-2016 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: Tegus breeding out of season?

Quote Originally Posted by hungba View Post
    but one of my female tegu seems to be displaying gravid behaviours of nesting. She does not seem to be aggressive
    If there's no aggression, she's not nesting. She's likely just enjoying rooting around in a brand new box of hay. If she does become gravid, I hope you have somewhere else to put your males or they will feel her wrath. I'm not sure about the "out of season" breeding. The breeding setups I've seen are animals kept outdoors that simply take their cues from nature. I don't think it needs to get particularly cold to "cycle" a tegu. Folks seem to breed them in south florida just fine - where lows seldom drop below 50F on the coldest winter night.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Our lows seldom drop into the 50s at all. Except a few days a year possibly.

Is there any way to tell if a tegu is gravid without an ultrasound?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well she just dropped 30+ eggs... No aggression

Thanks

Re: Tegus breeding out of season?

Good luck to you and Mamma Tegu and the eggs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks
    Oh man. Congratulations? I hope you can find someone who can help you out with them, since I know you said now is not a good time for you have tegu babies.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I can rehome them if they do hatch no problem. Just going through personal stuff at the moment didn't want to deal with any female aggression, separating them etc. Well she was not aggressive at all!? So what's the deal? Other than nesting she just always and still is acting normal?! She even climbs onto my leg and looks me in the eye like asking for something but I don't know what. Good thing I guess but just puzzled. Even the guy above said no aggression = not gravid. I fed her a mouse and she ate no problem.

To be honest of the 30 eggs only maybe 3 or 4 looks possibly fertile anyway. I put in incubator all anyway in case.

I have hard time finding incubation info. Temps are always 86 to 89F, but the ratio of medium to water is listed as anywhere from 4:1 to 1:1 from different sources. Looking through the old Bobby Hill posts (I knew he went scam, but is the info good?) He said 2:1, then another post 3:1, then another post later he said 4:1, and did not specify weight or volume.... Another "article" about breeding tegus shows an exact word for word copy paste of Bobby's post, but changed the ratio to 1:1.

Since this is urgent and I did not get any replies from friends I opted for 3:1 medium to water (if more water I can add?) by weight at 87F. Is this right or wrong?

First in my country to get tegu eggs and I didn't even want them.
    Last edited by hungba; 11-16-2016 at 03:56 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Was going to post a few pics but this forum doesn't allow attachments and I'd have to upload somewhere and link so screw it.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    They say tegu eggs need a few days before you can candle them to see anything, but looking at other people's eggs theirs look much plumper and the hatch rate is very low like 2 in 40 or something. At this rate I doubt any will hatch but the way things are going in my life it is like anything can happen. I sometimes don't even know if I am awake or not.