Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,808

2 members and 3,806 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: what does your snake cage look like?

Coluber42 I really like your design, would you happen to have a thread documenting how you made these? Very neat!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maddlesrain View Post
    Coluber42 I really like your design, would you happen to have a thread documenting how you made these? Very neat!!!

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...e-complicated)

The short version is that I started with a plastic storage bin and cut it down to make the bottom tray. I measured that tray to determine the overall interior dimensions. I planned out the main exterior "box", the sliding doors, the little side ledges over the corners of the tray, and the sliding door track and then ordered the PVC and the acrylic doors pre-cut to size. When it arrived, it was just a matter of screwing and cementing it all together and sanding the edges. It's pure coincidence that it turned out to be exactly the same width as those two Ikea tables it's sitting on!

I also ordered an additional 3/8" sheet of PVC for smaller parts and add-on's as needed (I do have a band saw and plenty of hand tools). That's what I made the front panels with the arch from, as well as the tray that sits above the RHP (I was hoping to find another plastic storage bin that would be the right size, but didn't find a suitable one, so I built my own tray). The structural PVC framework is easy to do and easy to cut with a chop saw, and sort of like playing with tinker toys but with toxic cement. There's a hole up top with a desk grommet in it for the cords for the light, the RHP, and the thermostat probe. There's another hole down on the side at the bottom for the cords for the UTH, the UTH's thermostat, and the thermometer probe. All that stuff can be just taped down very simply. The bottom of the bin/tray isn't flat and isn't totally square; it has raised and lowered areas, so I just positioned the probes under one of the raised areas where there's just the right amount of room for them. It also has sort of hand-holds cut out (covered by those side shelves) which provide a neat place for the UTH cord.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

Maddlesrain (11-16-2016)

Thanks
    Redshepherd, you have gorgeous cages for equally gorgeous snakes! Your emerald tree boa is stunning! Vigil looks incredible too. I love dumerils and hope to have one of my own someday when I'm more experienced. Great job!
    MangiaPane, that room looks so pretty and wayyyyy more organized than mine. Props for keeping it looking great and keeping multiple snakes. My room has become a jungle just from keeping one. I'd love to see pics of the rack progression if you have any posted on another thread.

I love seeing all these cool setups! Everyone has such fun and unique ways of going about it yet they all work.
    1.0 Normal ball python (Buddy)
    0.1 Colombian boa (Tina)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coluber42 View Post
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...e-complicated)

The short version is that I started with a plastic storage bin and cut it down to make the bottom tray. I measured that tray to determine the overall interior dimensions. I planned out the main exterior "box", the sliding doors, the little side ledges over the corners of the tray, and the sliding door track and then ordered the PVC and the acrylic doors pre-cut to size. When it arrived, it was just a matter of screwing and cementing it all together and sanding the edges. It's pure coincidence that it turned out to be exactly the same width as those two Ikea tables it's sitting on!

I also ordered an additional 3/8" sheet of PVC for smaller parts and add-on's as needed (I do have a band saw and plenty of hand tools). That's what I made the front panels with the arch from, as well as the tray that sits above the RHP (I was hoping to find another plastic storage bin that would be the right size, but didn't find a suitable one, so I built my own tray). The structural PVC framework is easy to do and easy to cut with a chop saw, and sort of like playing with tinker toys but with toxic cement. There's a hole up top with a desk grommet in it for the cords for the light, the RHP, and the thermostat probe. There's another hole down on the side at the bottom for the cords for the UTH, the UTH's thermostat, and the thermometer probe. All that stuff can be just taped down very simply. The bottom of the bin/tray isn't flat and isn't totally square; it has raised and lowered areas, so I just positioned the probes under one of the raised areas where there's just the right amount of room for them. It also has sort of hand-holds cut out (covered by those side shelves) which provide a neat place for the UTH cord.
    Thank you very much!! I might just end up attempting to build something similar in the future!! I have a little time before my baby grows, but I figure it's never too early to start getting build ideas for the next, and most likely, final enclosure he'll be living in. I really like everything you've done with this. It's straight forward and clean looking!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maddlesrain For This Useful Post:

Coluber42 (11-16-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kath_ View Post
    MangiaPane, that room looks so pretty and wayyyyy more organized than mine. Props for keeping it looking great and keeping multiple snakes. My room has become a jungle just from keeping one. I'd love to see pics of the rack progression if you have any posted on another thread.

I love seeing all these cool setups! Everyone has such fun and unique ways of going about it yet they all work.
    thank you. I call it the white room lol. Or the snake room. That works too

As far as the rack, I just have the one starter rack, but it is stackable so I plan on getting one and eventually 2 more. I need to get a bigger rack first though because mine will all be outgrowing these tubs before I know it.

0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Butter
    1.0 Pastel Enchi
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Orange Dream Yellowbelly
    0.1 Leopard
    0.1 Firefly
    1.0 Hypo Brooks King
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mangiapane85 For This Useful Post:

kath_ (11-16-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kath_ View Post
    Redshepherd, you have gorgeous cages for equally gorgeous snakes! Your emerald tree boa is stunning! Vigil looks incredible too. I love dumerils and hope to have one of my own someday when I'm more experienced. Great job!
    Thanks!! She is a green tree python, though I'm still needing an emerald. Honestly, dumeril's take less care and are more tolerant of fluctuating temperatures than ball pythons, and they don't require all the "cover/clutter" that balls need. They are easy. Mine is also a pig and easy to feed.

Thanks

Mines still a work in progress..getting there though..didnt see paying 20$ for background paper so i went and bought camo wrapping paper last night for $4 still want a few more plants but getting there!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hlow87 View Post
    Mines still a work in progress..getting there though..didnt see paying 20$ for background paper so i went and bought camo wrapping paper last night for $4 still want a few more plants but getting there!

Lovely big viv and already looking good . Not keen on those weird log hides and none of my snakes like them either .

One instant improvement would be to swap dark coloured substrate like orchid / reptile bark which will emphasise the colour of the white snake and any foliage .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Hlow87 (12-03-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Lovely big viv and already looking good . Not keen on those weird log hides and none of my snakes like them either .

One instant improvement would be to swap dark coloured substrate like orchid / reptile bark which will emphasise the colour of the white snake and any foliage .
    Can you post some pics of your setups? I don't think I've ever seen them before

0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Butter
    1.0 Pastel Enchi
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Orange Dream Yellowbelly
    0.1 Leopard
    0.1 Firefly
    1.0 Hypo Brooks King
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

She actually loves her log hide..i havent found why & dont understand why so many people are against them,can you clarify that?if i had insight i might have a different opinon of them too.. but my enclosure came with a large one so thats why i bought a smaller one..she uses it way more than the rock hide and i even tried switching sides with them both and she still went to the log hide in the cooler side..and yes i plan on getting a darker substrate soon,again the stuff i have, i belive is aspen,came with the enclosure

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast