Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,312

2 members and 3,310 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    I mean... I guess it sounds like the roommate is not even open to real solutions right now anyway, so there's not really any need to make the thread except to find out what "could have" worked.

Maybe when she gets actually desperate for a solution in the future, you can recall this thread and suggest her to follow it.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-01-2016 at 08:07 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Solution

I have a solution, don't know why I didn't think of it sooner Find it a good home. Give it away when he is gone and say it ran away.

Thanks

Re: Solution

Quote Originally Posted by Bcycling View Post
    I have a solution, don't know why I didn't think of it sooner Find it a good home. Give it away when he is gone and say it ran away.
    Hahaha. Funny joke. If only things could be that easy.
    My Collection:
    0.2 Normal Het Pied - 0.1 Lesser - 1.0 Pastel Het Pied -1.0 Mojave Het Lavender Albino 1.0 Low White Pied

5. The Following User Says Thank You to voodoolamb For This Useful Post:

KingWheatley (11-01-2016)

Thanks

Re: Help with Lab Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I mean... I guess it sounds like the roommate is not even open to real solutions right now anyway, so there's not really any need to make the thread except to find out what "could have" worked.

Maybe when she gets actually desperate for a solution in the future, you can recall this thread and suggest her to follow it.
    He asked me to help him. I tried then when I couldn't find a solution on my own, I came here. -shrug- sorry if this offended you. I can't do anything to the dog without his ok.

What I can do, though, is while he is in Mexico for a couple weeks I'd take the puppy out for a jog every day. Unless the daughter takes the puppy. I don't know.

Herp Derp

Thanks

Help with Lab Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Bcycling View Post
    I said this to him as a joke a while ago. In response to him saying he'd make my snake into a taco....

Herp Derp
    Last edited by KingWheatley; 11-01-2016 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KingWheatley View Post
    He asked me to help him. I tried then when I couldn't find a solution on my own, I came here. -shrug- sorry if this offended you. I can't do anything to the dog without his ok.

What I can do, though, is while he is in Mexico for a couple weeks I'd take the puppy out for a jog every day. Unless the daughter takes the puppy. I don't know.

Herp Derp
    It sounds to me like he doesn't really want help. What he'd LIKE to happen is that he waves a magic wand, and the dog is perfect, if I'm interpreting your written words correctly.

Dogs take work, lots of it. And I wouldn't even CONSIDER getting a dog unless it was crate trained. My 22 month old golden retriever did not earn unsupervised time out of the crate until he was 11 months old, then only at night, and gradually all the time.

Because he was in his crate when we couldn't constantly have eyes on him - he never developed destructive behavior. We also knew that we would have to provide him both mental and physical activity. He is a titled dock diving dog, and we're working towards titling him in nosework. Do the titles mean anything to me? Not as much as the joy my dog has doing these activities. And the joy I get from sharing in those moments with him.

And he gets almost daily visits to the dog park (there's some risk in that, but it's a risk that is worth it for us, because it's really the only off leash area where he can truly run and stretch his legs). We generally have the same core dogs after work and on weekends, because we all seem to consistently show up at the same time.

Regarding food - Noah is kept very lean and athletic to help in minimizing his chances of getting cancer (65% of golden retrievers dies of either hemangio sarcoma, lymphoma or osteosarcoma). He gets 2 cups of food a day (1 cup 2x a day) of his food. We also supplement with steamed and pulverized vegetables, coconut oil, Grizzly Salmon Oil and one raw egg every other day, some days including the shell, some days not. On particularly athletic days, he gets a little more, on more sedentary days, he gets a little less. It's also why we've decided to keep him intact, because I believe the hormones are also important to their long term health.

Obese dogs increase their risk of cancer by many times (even slightly obese - what the average pet owner things is healthy weight). Extra weight on a large dog is also a recipe for early onset arthritis too.

I was going to shamelessly post a picture of my boy, the dog who makes my heart sing and makes me smile and fall in love a little more each day, but I realized my job has blocked photobucket.

I will conclude with this outsider observation.

Your room mate is not ready for a dog right now. He's not willing to put in the WORK himself to teach this dog the rules. Dogs thrive on understanding what we want - but throwing them out in the yard teaches them nothing. It take consistency and repetition.

He's surely not ready for THIS dog, who deserves to have an owner that appreciates his intelligence and loyalty and will put in the time and effort.

As others have already said - this situation is not going to get better - it's only going to get worse.

If he truly cares about the dog - forget about the AKC registration and papers and the money - Noah is also papered AND titled - and if I ever came to the point I couldn't provide him with the home he deserved (God forbid), I'm not trying to recoup money I put into him. His happiness and well being as a living, breathing, loving animal is my number one motivation to do the right thing, not money.

I had to do the same thing with my ball python collection - I came to the point that I could no longer provide them the care and attention that they deserved (the only rat wholesaler within 2 hours of me closed up shop - and I was paying full retail to feed 60+ snakes). I could have had a going out of business sale and tried to recoup my investments, but seeing that they went to a home (in this case, two different homes - they were split), that could care for them better than I could was more important to me. One of them is an Old Guard moderator on here. At the point I made the decision, my joy for keeping them had been sucked out of me. $300 a week to feed them will do that to you.

In any case - I urge you to try to get your room mate to see that right now, this is not the dog for him. Maybe rescue a senior dog instead - one that doesn't demand so much attention at this stage in their life.
    Last edited by rabernet; 11-02-2016 at 12:34 PM.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (11-02-2016),GoingPostal (11-02-2016),KingWheatley (11-02-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-02-2016),Stewart_Reptiles (11-02-2016)

Thanks

Can't say I 100% agree with all dogs needing to be crate trained, depends on the dog. My husky was never crate trained and she was/is as good as gold. It is a good thing to train, but I don't think it's always a necessity.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

KingWheatley (11-02-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    Can't say I 100% agree with all dogs needing to be crate trained, depends on the dog. My husky was never crate trained and she was/is as good as gold. It is a good thing to train, but I don't think it's always a necessity.
    Regardless, in this situation it 100% is necessary. This poor dog is going to ingest something he shouldn't and die really early if Roommate doesn't get his head out of his tuchus and learn what it means to be a responsible, ethical pet owner.

Unfortunately, given KW's comment about the dog being shoved outside and ignored all day for doing something wrong, I doubt that's going to happen. I know exactly what kind of owner this dog has, because we see them bringing their undertrained, unsocialized animals into our shelter and dumping them on us all the time-- and more often than not putting them down for major behavioral issues, too.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nellasaur For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (11-03-2016),KingWheatley (11-02-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-02-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nellasaur View Post
    Regardless, in this situation it 100% is necessary. This poor dog is going to ingest something he shouldn't and die really early if Roommate doesn't get his head out of his tuchus and learn what it means to be a responsible, ethical pet owner.

Unfortunately, given KW's comment about the dog being shoved outside and ignored all day for doing something wrong, I doubt that's going to happen. I know exactly what kind of owner this dog has, because we see them bringing their undertrained, unsocialized animals into our shelter and dumping them on us all the time-- and more often than not putting them down for major behavioral issues, too.
    I never said it wasn't. I said it depends on the dog and isn't always 100% necessary, because the person above said they wouldn't even consider a dog if it wasn't crate trained.
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    I never said it wasn't. I said it depends on the dog and isn't always 100% necessary, because the person above said they wouldn't even consider a dog if it wasn't crate trained.
    Gotcha

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast