Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,272

1 members and 2,271 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Help with Lab Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
    Very few vets specialized in nutrition.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...ogs-or-people/

httphttp://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/09/17/aflatoxin-invisible-food-hazard.htmlinvisible-food-hazard.html

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0201100149.htm

Aflatoxin and excess sugar have both been linked with cancer. Peanut butter has both. It's fine as an occasional treat but not something that is healthy to feed every day.

I stuff my dog's kongs with cooked meat, kefir, yogurt, carob paste, fruits and vegetables.
    interesting reads, although like everything must be interpreted. The first article had to do with know carcinogens in humans. Probably the same as in dogs, but what quantity is needed to be an issue. A tablespoon a day? I doubt it. The second article might be more interesting if it wasn't written by someone who has something to gain by saying what he is saying. He is a promoter of health foods for dogs. Does he have an agenda, I say yes. He is also a proponent of feeding dogs raw meat. I have actually at one point thought about this so I have done a little research on the idea. A very respected vet I know advised against it. Yes, he admitted it could be good for some dogs, but there are a number of dogs that will develop permanent or long last irritable bowel syndrome. This is a condition I don't want any of my dogs to get. So everyone who has a good idea, there are side effects to each of them. I don't have any fat or overweight dogs, but if i did I would watch what they eat. I actually monitor my dogs weight very closely to make sure they are not loosing to much or gaining to much weight. During the height of the hunting season I make sure they are not dropping weight, and actually prefer them to put on 2-4 pounds. In the off season sure they stay at 51 to 53 pounds each. That is their ideal weight.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bcycling View Post
    interesting reads, although like everything must be interpreted. The first article had to do with know carcinogens in humans. Probably the same as in dogs, but what quantity is needed to be an issue. A tablespoon a day? I doubt it. The second article might be more interesting if it wasn't written by someone who has something to gain by saying what he is saying. He is a promoter of health foods for dogs. Does he have an agenda, I say yes. He is also a proponent of feeding dogs raw meat. I have actually at one point thought about this so I have done a little research on the idea. A very respected vet I know advised against it. Yes, he admitted it could be good for some dogs, but there are a number of dogs that will develop permanent or long last irritable bowel syndrome. This is a condition I don't want any of my dogs to get. So everyone who has a good idea, there are side effects to each of them. I don't have any fat or overweight dogs, but if i did I would watch what they eat. I actually monitor my dogs weight very closely to make sure they are not loosing to much or gaining to much weight. During the height of the hunting season I make sure they are not dropping weight, and actually prefer them to put on 2-4 pounds. In the off season sure they stay at 51 to 53 pounds each. That is their ideal weight.
    Meh. I feed raw and home cooked food for my dogs for over 20 years. I believe variety in food is the most important aspect of feeding. My current vet recommends against feeding kibble. But anywho...

Regardless of personal feeding philosophies, you need to keep in mind you are an atypical dog owner. Your dogs get appropriate amounts of exercise and do legitimate work. They can handle an extra 200 - 300 calories a day. Probably even need it. Most American pets cannot. It's the equivalent of giving them an extra scoop of food. The dog the OP is talking about is a extremely under exercised young dog that already looks like he has some meat on his bones and is a breed prone to weight gain.

Peanut butter kongs just don't sound like a good fit in this situation. A cheap can of wet dog food can be used to stuff the kong, it will be lower calorie and have the proper balance of macro and micro nutrients so it would be more suitable for daily feeding of this dog.
    My Collection:
    0.2 Normal Het Pied - 0.1 Lesser - 1.0 Pastel Het Pied -1.0 Mojave Het Lavender Albino 1.0 Low White Pied

Thanks

Peanut butter kongs just don't sound like a good fit in this situation. A cheap can of wet dog food can be used to stuff the kong, it will be lower calorie and have the proper balance of macro and micro nutrients so it would be more suitable for daily feeding of this dog.
    Another alternative is to fill the Kong with a portion of the dog's daily ration of kibble and use a teaspoon or so of peanut butter to seal the opening, then freeze. That's what we do in the shelter here and the dogs love it. Still maybe not the best choice for a daily treat unless the dog gets exercised a lot more, but better than using only peanut butter, at least.

For that matter, rotating between various fillings will keep the dog engaged with the toy longer and make it more intellectually valuable from day to day.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nellasaur For This Useful Post:

KingWheatley (11-01-2016),voodoolamb (11-01-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritserpents View Post
    You might also tell your roomate that, being this dog is a lab, the destruction is not only absolutely 100% going to GET WORSE as the dog gets older, it will probably also consume the stuff its destroying and eventually need several thousand dollars worth of surgery to remove whatever object from its stomach or intestines.
    Oh I pointed this out HEAVILY when I was talking to him about the remotes.

He could have swallowed the batteries...

Herp Derp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Wait, have you suggested an indoor kennel run? I know that is what I'll be using if any of my next dogs have destructive behavior/separation anxiety. They're just a large confined space.

Please suggest to your roommate to contact a positive dog trainer local to you who is experienced in behavior modification. (The term is "behavior modification" which includes special methods of training) That's really the best thing to do right now, since she doesn't want to rehome or get a crate apparently. I didn't read the whole thread, but it doesn't seem like finding a local trainer (NOT petco/petsmart) was mentioned.
    I haven't yet. Never heard of an indoor kennel run to be honest. I have spoken to him about training courses. He wanted to do Petsmart because the "first class is free."

Herp Derp

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Meh. I feed raw and home cooked food for my dogs for over 20 years. I believe variety in food is the most important aspect of feeding. My current vet recommends against feeding kibble. But anywho...

Regardless of personal feeding philosophies, you need to keep in mind you are an atypical dog owner. Your dogs get appropriate amounts of exercise and do legitimate work. They can handle an extra 200 - 300 calories a day. Probably even need it. Most American pets cannot. It's the equivalent of giving them an extra scoop of food. The dog the OP is talking about is a extremely under exercised young dog that already looks like he has some meat on his bones and is a breed prone to weight gain.

that is probably true of my dogs and the dogs I train. I train them to hunt first then worry about household behaviors. My dogs are probably a little atypical of most working dogs also because they are family pets also, most working dogs are not and spend a great deal of time alone. My opinion is based on the fact that the dogs need exercise first. It's much easier to train any dog that is not working on a full tank. When I train dogs to work or "behave" in the house, they are always exercised first. A well exercised dog will train much easier after a run than before. I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone who has no clue what they are doing, but the first thing a dog needs to learn is the come cammand. Once the dog listens to that 100% of the time the dog can then be exercised appropriately. A walk on a leash, or even going running with your dog doesn't cut it. I jog with my dogs, and any I am training, every morning. That is not exercise for them. They don't even pant or want water after 2-3 mile jog. Dogs need to run at their own pace to get their energy out.

My my opinion of the dog who is in question. One or two things will happen. One it will chew and swallow something it shouldn't and probably die, or the persons roommate will eventually move and not be able to take the dog, at which point it will be dumped on someone else. Those are the dogs that can be great rescues if someone knowledgable can put some time into them.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The solution is easy if it is YOUR dog do what is necessary to prevent the behaviour, tons of good advice have alreay been offered.

If it's NOT your dog, move out or have your roommate and his dog move out, if this is the same roommate you were having issues with regarding your snake it won't be a loss anyway, if it is a different roommate than you need to start choosing your roommates a little more wisely or live on your own.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (11-02-2016),Fraido (11-01-2016),KingWheatley (11-01-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2016)

Thanks

Help with Lab Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Bcycling View Post
    that is probably true of my dogs and the dogs I train. I train them to hunt first then worry about household behaviors. My dogs are probably a little atypical of most working dogs also because they are family pets also, most working dogs are not and spend a great deal of time alone. My opinion is based on the fact that the dogs need exercise first. It's much easier to train any dog that is not working on a full tank. When I train dogs to work or "behave" in the house, they are always exercised first. A well exercised dog will train much easier after a run than before. I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone who has no clue what they are doing, but the first thing a dog needs to learn is the come cammand. Once the dog listens to that 100% of the time the dog can then be exercised appropriately. A walk on a leash, or even going running with your dog doesn't cut it. I jog with my dogs, and any I am training, every morning. That is not exercise for them. They don't even pant or want water after 2-3 mile jog. Dogs need to run at their own pace to get their energy out.

My my opinion of the dog who is in question. One or two things will happen. One it will chew and swallow something it shouldn't and probably die, or the persons roommate will eventually move and not be able to take the dog, at which point it will be dumped on someone else. Those are the dogs that can be great rescues if someone knowledgable can put some time into them.
    OOOOOOOoooooohhhhhh. Duh....That makes sense... I mean we can't lose weight by chewing gum, so why would a dog?

Speaking of... I really think the destructive habits would cease if dogs had gum to chew... I know I stop fiddling with stuff when I am chewing gum.

My roommate owns the dog and the house. I am just renting a room to help him with mortgage while his daughter is in college.

So one of three things will happen...

1.) The dog will chew something it shouldn't and get seriously hurt/die

2.) I will eventually move out and while this won't make too much of a difference for the dog, my Roommate will likely feel overwhelmed and rehome it on his own anyways

3.) My roommate will get abusive towards the dog.

And to clarify that 3rd option, this is just based on observations of frustration and lack of communication and to my knowledge this can blossom very quickly into abusive venting of frustration. (My roomie treated the dog ALL day with "I'm mad at you, [Nickname he's given the dog that is the Spanish equivalent to "DumbButt"]" and just shoved him outside and verbally told me to not play with the pup because he was in trouble.)

Herp Derp
    Last edited by KingWheatley; 11-01-2016 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks
    That poor pup
    My Collection:
    0.2 Normal Het Pied - 0.1 Lesser - 1.0 Pastel Het Pied -1.0 Mojave Het Lavender Albino 1.0 Low White Pied

12. The Following User Says Thank You to voodoolamb For This Useful Post:

KingWheatley (11-01-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    ...move out... if this is the same roommate you were having issues with regarding your snake it won't be a loss anyway...
    Well, at this moment, the problem with that is simply that it's cheap rent for me. In the area, the lowest payment I can find is an efficiency apartment at $350, but that's not including utilities, which can easily make a monthly payment of $450-$500 if I'm living on a very tight budget, which I cannot afford. And the majority of apartments around here do not allow pets of any kind. Those that do have a "no exotic" rule.

So my only hope is finding Prince Charming and moving in with him in hopes that he likes snakes.... lol I'm joking... kinda.

Herp Derp

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast