Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,016

2 members and 3,014 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Help with Lab Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by KingWheatley View Post
    Spoke with my roommate. He doesn't want to get a crate, or rehome the pup.

Though he likes the idea of the cong with Peanut Butter in it

Herp Derp
    ....and with this response I now have to block this user out of my life otherwise I'm going to go insane. Yup let's just ask a question and then ignore all of the advice. By the way again, if you don't trust the advice of the users here, every resource, trainer, etc you will find will say the dog needs an ample way to release the energy. One toy with peanut butter in it is not going to solve the lack of being neglected by owners who have zero time to devote to the dog. A toy will work for an hour.

Don't worry mods you won't here any more bad tone msgs from me on this user, because they are going on my ignore list.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Your roommate will have a much harder time rehoming the pup in a few more months which is what's likely to happen, 9 months to a year is when most people finally give up and rehome or dump at a shelter after buying a cute puppy they had no time for and didn't bother training. Puppies are a time commitment, they need a lot of training, socializing, exercise/play in order to make a good canine citizen. If he came from an ethical breeder (which I doubt) he should be able to return the dog to them. I agree the dog should be returned or rehomed, preferably through a reputable rescue. One of these days the dog is going to eat something he shouldn't and get an obstruction or serious injuries and sounds like he is left unattended for far too long each day.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

KingWheatley (11-01-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Peanut butter is both high calorie and high in sugar. One way ticket to a fat, yeasty, cancer riddled pup. If offered daily.

There are much healthier kong stuffings.

Also be sure to reduce the daily meal ration when providing stuffed kongs.
    Last edited by voodoolamb; 11-01-2016 at 10:58 AM.
    My Collection:
    0.2 Normal Het Pied - 0.1 Lesser - 1.0 Pastel Het Pied -1.0 Mojave Het Lavender Albino 1.0 Low White Pied

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to voodoolamb For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
    Peanut butter is both high calorie and high in sugar. One way ticket to a fat, yeasty, cancer riddled pup. If offered daily.

There are much healthier kong stuffings.

Also be sure to reduce the daily meal ration when providing stuffed kongs.
    whats kinda funny about this comment is the fact that I have had multiple vets reccomend peanut butter in the congs. Actually isn't that much when you put it in a Kong and my dog was way under weight when it was suggested. No risk of cancer from a dog that gets more exercise than 99.9% of dogs in the world. And yes I can prove that. All my dogs are professional guide dogs, they run pheasants 6 months of the year and the other six months are spent training for the next season. I never heard peanut butter causes cancer in dogs, would like to see some documentation on that. The only real information on that fact is that some speciality peanut butters contain the sweatener Xylitol which is bad.

Last edited by Bcycling; 11-01-2016 at 11:13 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bcycling For This Useful Post:

KingWheatley (11-01-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noodlestsc View Post
    ....and with this response I now have to block this user out of my life otherwise I'm going to go insane. Yup let's just ask a question and then ignore all of the advice. By the way again, if you don't trust the advice of the users here, every resource, trainer, etc you will find will say the dog needs an ample way to release the energy. One toy with peanut butter in it is not going to solve the lack of being neglected by owners who have zero time to devote to the dog. A toy will work for an hour.

Don't worry mods you won't here any more bad tone msgs from me on this user, because they are going on my ignore list.
    This response is a little ridiculous. Considering it's not HER dog, it's not up to HER, if her roommate isn't going to take any of the advice she has already gone out of her way to get then what the heck is she supposed to do?

Get mad at her roomie, but to sit here and get angry with her and trying to say she is refusing the advice is wrong.
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (11-02-2016),KingWheatley (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Wait, have you suggested an indoor kennel run? I know that is what I'll be using if any of my next dogs have destructive behavior/separation anxiety. They're just a large confined space.

Please suggest to your roommate to contact a positive dog trainer local to you who is experienced in behavior modification. (The term is "behavior modification" which includes special methods of training) That's really the best thing to do right now, since she doesn't want to rehome or get a crate apparently. I didn't read the whole thread, but it doesn't seem like finding a local trainer (NOT petco/petsmart) was mentioned.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-01-2016 at 01:36 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Another voice here saying that the most humane thing y'all can do for that dog is rehome it. If your irresponsible roommate won't take proactive steps to reduce the destruction, it will not stop. Destruction on this scale isn't going to go away because the puppy gets a stuffed Kong once a day. That poor dog needs way more exercise, energetic play, and crate training at least, and possibly behavior mod training with a licensed, reputable dog trainer if it turns out the destruction is anxiety-related instead of or in addition to energy-related.

I know it's not your dog, it's just your roommate's-- and that your roommate has already shown himself to be irresponsible and impulsive with animals, to boot-- but it's going to be really important for you to let him know in no uncertain terms what he's in for if he doesn't take most or all of the steps suggested here by the folks on this forum. That is, that he can expect this level of destruction to continue or possibly even increase as the dog becomes even more bored and frustrated with his boredom.

Also, I know somebody hit on this before but it's important enough that I feel it should be reiterated: dogs have no conception of "should". If you come in the door to a destroyed mess and the dog starts acting guilty, like he "knows better", like he "knows he shouldn't", literally the only thing that's happening is he's reacting to your body language as you express displeasure, dismay, or anger. Dogs are especially attuned to human moods and can easily pick up on how you're feeling.

There are a few things that YOU can do to possibly attempt to make things easier on the dog, even if your roommate won't take the Big Steps that have been suggested here. A big one is controlling your reaction to the mess when it happens-- seriously, don't react. If you're upset or angry, control that and express it later, away from the dog. With the puppy, you want to show only indifference as you clean up after the fact. If you catch the dog in the act of destruction, then yes, show your displeasure (reasonably) and correct the behavior firmly. (Note that this does not mean punishing him for it.) If you can coach your roommate and his daughter to do the same, all the better.

Another thing you can do, as suggested above, is reinforce appropriate chewing behaviors when you see the dog engaging in them. Praise and treats are a great way to reinforce when puppy is gnawing on or playing with the things he should be. Again, if you can convince roomie and daughter to do the same, even better-- you'll notice a much more significant improvement in the behavior if everyone in the household is giving the dog the same consistent training signals.

If you're ever responsible for feeding the dog, offer the food in a foraging toy like someone else suggested. If you're so inclined and you can afford them (or if you can get your roommate to spring for them), you can buy a few at a pet store-- something like a Kong wobbler or a puzzle feeder is a great choice. You can even make cheap puzzle feeders at home. Someone mentioned the milk jug above, which is a great suggestion. Another one is to take a cardboard box, like a cereal box, stuff it with crumpled paper, and then pour the food in there and let the dog rip it apart for his meal. Hell, if your floors are clean and free of debris, just throwing his food on the floor and letting it scatter is better for engaging the dog's brain and getting energy out than feeding it in a bowl.

IMPORTANT TIP FOR FORAGE FEEDERS: If you or the roomie end up buying puzzle feeders, do not leave the dog alone with them. Since he's already shown a penchant for destruction, it's very likely he'll chew them up or destroy them, and they can be spendy. Just feed, supervise the feed, and remove when the dog is done. If you use makeshift puzzle feeders, make sure to clean up the debris after the feeding and discard/replace as soon as they start getting worn or coming apart.

I'd say "I hope this information helps", but honestly, these steps are like throwing a couple of sandbags in the river because your roommate apparently refuses to build a dam. There's not much you're going to be able to do if your roommate won't commit to crate training/exercise/behavior mod or rehoming the dog to a family that can meet its needs appropriately.

Good luck.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nellasaur For This Useful Post:

KingWheatley (11-01-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2016),voodoolamb (11-01-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Back to the point

Let's get back to the point. The point being its a lab. They are a destructive breed. I have owned many of them in my life, and some are way worse than others. You can run the dog as much as you want and some will still be destructive when left alone for as little as a few minutes. I had one who I hunted and ran everyday. At just over a year old I remember it ate and swallowed a remote for the tv as I went to get a drink. It was just a few minutes. All puppies should be crate trained until you know they don't chew. Yes, the dog should have an outlet for its energy, yes it should have toys, but I have yet to meet a lab that didn't chew no matter how much it was run. They tire easily from runs being a larger boned dog, but they recoup fast and you are never going to run and exercise a lab to the point you can leave it and not worry about destruction. Bottom line is exercise, start indoor training, give it toys, but crate train it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bcycling For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bcycling View Post
    whats kinda funny about this comment is the fact that I have had multiple vets reccomend peanut butter in the congs. Actually isn't that much when you put it in a Kong and my dog was way under weight when it was suggested. No risk of cancer from a dog that gets more exercise than 99.9% of dogs in the world. And yes I can prove that. All my dogs are professional guide dogs, they run pheasants 6 months of the year and the other six months are spent training for the next season. I never heard peanut butter causes cancer in dogs, would like to see some documentation on that. The only real information on that fact is that some speciality peanut butters contain the sweatener Xylitol which is bad.
    Very few vets specialized in nutrition.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...ogs-or-people/

httphttp://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/09/17/aflatoxin-invisible-food-hazard.htmlinvisible-food-hazard.html

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0201100149.htm

Aflatoxin and excess sugar have both been linked with cancer. Peanut butter has both. It's fine as an occasional treat but not something that is healthy to feed every day.

I stuff my dog's kongs with cooked meat, kefir, yogurt, carob paste, fruits and vegetables.
    My Collection:
    0.2 Normal Het Pied - 0.1 Lesser - 1.0 Pastel Het Pied -1.0 Mojave Het Lavender Albino 1.0 Low White Pied

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You might also tell your roomate that, being this dog is a lab, the destruction is not only absolutely 100% going to GET WORSE as the dog gets older, it will probably also consume the stuff its destroying and eventually need several thousand dollars worth of surgery to remove whatever object from its stomach or intestines.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spiritserpents For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (11-01-2016),KingWheatley (11-01-2016),Nellasaur (11-01-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2016)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast