Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,059

2 members and 3,057 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Age of mice

Thanks

Re: Age of mice

Yea I recently got another trio so now I have 2 trios and iv had them for about maybe 2 weeks and so far no babies so Idk

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    1.0 normal bp - 2015 - Erebus
    1.0 bci hypo motley het albino - 2016 - Aether
    0.1 bci hypo het albino - 2016 - Nyx

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Gestation is 3 weeks (give or take a couple days). If they have been together for 2 weeks, put the male in his own cage. The girls should turn into little snowballs with heads if everyone is old enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    With my mice I keep the male and females together all the time. I find that it's best not to add or remove mice from the colony, that's when fighting starts. And don't keep more than one adult male per colony. I have one tub with one male and five females. I probably should have put the male with two females, then a week later added two more females, then a week later added the last one so they are all on different cycles. When they first had babies all the moms had about 16 babies each and there was a huge pile of baby mice. The moms would randomly sit on the pile and try to nurse them all LOL. Then I fed a bunch of pinkies, then a bunch grew up and it was feast or famine for my snakes.

I now have several tubs going, but really could do just one tub if I timed it right. Then you'll need a tub as a grow out for the babies, you'll want to remove them as they open their eyes and get a bit older. If the baby males start fighting it's time to move them out, or better yet feed off all the males. I had fancy mice from Petco when I started, not very productive. I stumbled into feeder mice from the pet store, they are white and produce three to four times more babies than the fancy mice, and most of the babies are males and grow bigger and faster than the females, seems like they were bred for snake food LOL. I separated my male and female rats too and it really slows down production. I'm trying to keep one male and one female per tub to see how fast they will produce, I'm guessing I may only need half of the rats with that kind of a setup since they will have babies every month instead of every few months.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 12-13-2016 at 08:07 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    With my mice I keep the male and females together all the time. I find that it's best not to add or remove mice from the colony, that's when fighting starts. And don't keep more than one adult male per colony. I have one tub with one male and five females. I probably should have put the male with two females, then a week later added two more females, then a week later added the last one so they are all on different cycles. When they first had babies all the moms had about 16 babies each and there was a huge pile of baby mice. The moms would randomly sit on the pile and try to nurse them all LOL. Then I fed a bunch of pinkies, then a bunch grew up and it was feast or famine for my snakes.

I now have several tubs going, but really could do just one tub if I timed it right. Then you'll need a tub as a grow out for the babies, you'll want to remove them as they open their eyes and get a bit older. If the baby males start fighting it's time to move them out, or better yet feed off all the males. I had fancy mice from Petco when I started, not very productive. I stumbled into feeder mice from the pet store, they are white and produce three to four times more babies than the fancy mice, and most of the babies are males and grow bigger and faster than the females, seems like they were bred for snake food LOL. I separated my male and female rats too and it really slows down production. I'm trying to keep one male and one female per tub to see how fast they will produce, I'm guessing I may only need half of the rats with that kind of a setup since they will have babies every month instead of every few months.

This is my set up But I now have the other bottom tub filled with 1.2 (should I add more females???) I am going to later add two v-35-s tubs one for male grow ups one for female grow ups (that I don't hold back)... All mice are white feeders (not from petco) but from local mom and pop pet store the owner is a good friend of mine.... I do not separate them right now and id love to be able to keep it like that...if you need any other details please ask and I will answer what I can lol

Thanks
    Great job carpenter that's great caging !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panic2336 View Post
    Great job carpenter that's great caging !
    Thank you!!! But I am not a carpenter by a long shot lol I plan on also building my breeding rack once I start breeding snakes

Thanks

I have did tons of research since I started breeding mice last May.
    From what I have read, and what works for me ... if it is best to have your male in HIS cage, then introduce the females into his area. I have read that if the females have their cage and you introduce a male into it, the female "could" possibly perceive this as the male "invading" her territory and attack him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12