Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,425

0 members and 1,425 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Kingsnake cage height?

I have one young/juvenile mexican black kingsnake and am looking to upgrade his cage in something more "final". I am looking at the pro-line and animal plastics cages (T8 and T10 or equivalent). These cages are roughly 4' x 2' x 14-18". I have read that kingsnakes are more active than ball pythons, though some of my BPs are actually pretty active during the evening and night time. Is there any merit to giving the kingsnake the additional 4" in height, are they more likely to use it? My ball pythons are in the 4' x 2' x 14" and that seems sufficient for them, but I was curious if there would be any merit to giving the kingsnake a little bit more height and maybe putting a branch or something semi-climbable in there.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Kingsnake cage height?

Quote Originally Posted by Regius_049 View Post
    I have one young/juvenile mexican black kingsnake and am looking to upgrade his cage in something more "final". I am looking at the pro-line and animal plastics cages (T8 and T10 or equivalent). These cages are roughly 4' x 2' x 14-18". I have read that kingsnakes are more active than ball pythons, though some of my BPs are actually pretty active during the evening and night time. Is there any merit to giving the kingsnake the additional 4" in height, are they more likely to use it? My ball pythons are in the 4' x 2' x 14" and that seems sufficient for them, but I was curious if there would be any merit to giving the kingsnake a little bit more height and maybe putting a branch or something semi-climbable in there.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    Your measurements of the t8 are incorrect. The t8 is 4' wide x 2' deep x 12" high. The T10 is 15" high, and I wouldn't justify spending more money on 3" of height, 12" will be perfectly fine. Not only that, but anything other than a T8(which is a quickship item) you're looking at least January before you get it. The t8's lead time right now is sitting at 3-4 weeks. Would your king snake use the additional height? Possibly, but it's not really justified IMO. If anything they'd probably appreciate more floor room than height.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Mangiapane85 (11-09-2016)