Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,368

3 members and 3,365 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Is it bad I wanna get bit?

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    When I was a kid someone at some reptile shop in San Marcos had a gallon jug with 10 Texas Rat Snake hatchlings and gave them all to me. I had to beg my mom to let me keep them. lol They were sooooo nippy. Those things bit me over and over no matter how much time I put into trying to tame them. I ended up keeping 2 of them until I left home and they bit like crazy the whole time I had them.
    I was joking yesterday about my feisty little LTRs are and how often they try and bite , I said " I'm dreading the day they get teeth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

cletus (10-23-2016)

Thanks
    I know what you mean OP, thinking about it is worse than the actual bite. My little BP hasn't bit yet, but when I was younger I had this corn that never tamed down. Those bites didn't hurt as much as the surprise of being struck at.

My sis had a baby mexican black king that mistook my pinky for the mousy kind. I was so afraid I'd hurt it, and it got almost half of my finger down it's throat before it decided I was too big. I remember it feeling very strange...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I'll tell you, no need to be nervous... The first time I was tagged, I actually didn't even know. It wasn't until a minute or two later, I happened to look down at my hand, and there were two red dots with a bit of blood coming down. Granted, it was from a little ~4 month old hatchling.

And then I've been struck seriously at one other time, and dodged it! And then she latched onto herself instead (but her scales probably protected her). It's not impossible to dodge! LOL
    What is that stunner in your signature??

And, I've been kinda wondering what a bite is like too. I've got a 3 year old and a 2.5 month old. No tags yet.
    1.0 hubby
    1.1 American Bulldog Cross (Moses, Olivia)
    0.1 Spider Ball Python (Yzma)
    0.1 BEL (Super Mojave) Ball Python (Willow)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon (Ripley)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yzmasmom For This Useful Post:

Ptshay (10-24-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Getting bit isn't bad at all, now when snakes are larger and certain breeds, this can actually hurt quite a lot.

Some of the painful bites I've endured:

1.) 7 ft boa missing the rat.
    2.) 3-4 ft ATB(if you knew what the teeth on this thing looked like, you'd understand why)
    3.) A copperhead as a kid when I used to catch wild snakes all the time. Well I didn't see momma, I only saw one of the babies. Momma popped me as I was reaching in. This hurt for quite some time and was pretty painful.
    4.) The Rhino rat snake on my finger hurt more than a defensive bite would of, it spent some odd 30 minutes or so trying to swallow my finger so it kept turning. We tried to get it off a few times with no avail and I didn't want to hurt the snake in the process, so I just let it do whatever it needed to do and it eventually let go.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    When I first got my noodle, the fear of a bite was crippling. I could barely handle him and then I'd get more stressed that I was agitating him by being so nervous or putting him back after a few minutes and kind of flopping him into his enclosure (he would jerk his head back as I set him down and that scared me so I kinda just slid him off my hand).

I still haven't been bit and it still freaks me out, but my wife did a bunch of research on how non-bitey BP are and how it doesn't hurt even when they do and, most importantly, what it looks like when they are going to strike. As a new owner, every motion he made led me to think he was going to hit me. I'm much better with him now, haha.
    1.0 Black Pastel Lesser (First snake ever! )

Thanks

Is it bad I wanna get bit?

Quote Originally Posted by shadow reaper View Post
    When I first got my noodle, the fear of a bite was crippling. I could barely handle him and then I'd get more stressed that I was agitating him by being so nervous or putting him back after a few minutes and kind of flopping him into his enclosure (he would jerk his head back as I set him down and that scared me so I kinda just slid him off my hand).

I still haven't been bit and it still freaks me out, but my wife did a bunch of research on how non-bitey BP are and how it doesn't hurt even when they do and, most importantly, what it looks like when they are going to strike. As a new owner, every motion he made led me to think he was going to hit me. I'm much better with him now, haha.

I always use large tongs whilst offering to my strike feeders just to minimise the risks .

Also I NEVER put my hand in front of the mouths / heads even through some suggest approaching them from the front with an open hand .. .. Never fancied that at all . I usually just gently stroke them on their bodies to gauge their mood - that's more for my Boas / Burm / Retic / Kings etc etc .. I've never had a feisty Royal / Ball python but I still approach them slowly and from behind ..

You're basically looking for that S shape stance _ I suppose .
    Last edited by Zincubus; 10-24-2016 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I always use large tongs whilst offering to my strike feeders just to minimise the risks.
    I feed with tongs, as well, I meant in general handling. I'm owning my first snake ever and while I've never had a fear of snakes, I also wasn't around them much. In fact, the first snake I've ever held was my own at the reptile show before I bought him! Feeding doesn't bother me because I'm far removed, but at first the idea of picking him up and holding him scared me to death. As soon as he would start to explore my hands I'd put him down. I'm much better now, but I wouldn't say super relaxed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    You're basically looking for that S shape stance _ I suppose .
    That's what I thought and why I freaked out so much because anytime he backs up he has an S shape. He would try to explore out of my hand and then back up and I'd freak out and put him down. So I've heard they get a ridged, raised look to their head/neck when they will strike.
    1.0 Black Pastel Lesser (First snake ever! )

Thanks

As I said I found it safer to approach them slowly from behind , stroking their sides gently to assess their mood . Works for me .

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yzmasmom View Post
    What is that stunner in your signature??

And, I've been kinda wondering what a bite is like too. I've got a 3 year old and a 2.5 month old. No tags yet.
    She's a super pastel cinnamon possible het pied!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    She's a super pastel cinnamon possible het pied!
    Will she fade with age?? I need eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee her!!!!!!!!
    1.0 hubby
    1.1 American Bulldog Cross (Moses, Olivia)
    0.1 Spider Ball Python (Yzma)
    0.1 BEL (Super Mojave) Ball Python (Willow)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon (Ripley)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast