Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,576

1 members and 2,575 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Baby ATB That Refuses to Eat

My dad got a baby ATB (Canada Day baby) through a trade around the beginning of September, so far the baby has refused to eat for him. He says he's tried everything, live, scenting, braining of mouse pinkies. Supposedly it had eaten before he got it.

I have the snake now, to see what I can do. I need information, tips, anything. I'm researching, about to go and buy some extra supplies.

My dad thinks there's something wrong with the little guy, but to me it looks like a snake that has not eaten and is getting a little weak.

I'm switching it from a small exo terra tank to a bin with a little height. He was using a red bulb for heat but I'm wanting to get a heat pad, is it possible to mount a heat pad to the side and mount a hide in the same spot? Will he be able to get the heat from the heat pad in the hide like that?

Here's a quick pic

I just need to get him set up proper right now and leave him be. He needs it.

I'm off to research while I wait for responses!
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks

Re: Baby ATB That Refuses to Eat

I use a radiant heat panel inside of a pvc enclosure to heat my ATB. I wouldn't use a heat mat. You could buy some thick acrylic sheet to cover the screen top of the exoterra, drill some holes for ventilation, and mount a panel to it. It will provide heat, while keeping the humidity. I aim for 70% with my baby. Black out 3 of the sides with black construction paper for security. Modifying the current enclosure would be slightly less stressful than a total rehome. And perches for climbing are a must for these arboreal sweeties. Let it settle in a few days, and offer a large pinky or small fuzzy, warm to the touch. I'd go for a feeder around the same size as the widest part of the snake's body.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Pythons:
    1.0 '15 Pastel BP "Nero"
    0.1 '15 VPI Axanthic BP "Zoe"
    1.0 Normal BP "Dmitri"
    1.0 '16 Spinner Blast BP "Dizzy"
    0.1 '15 Carpet Python "Isabel"
    0.1 '15 Tiger Jag Carpet "Lily"
    0.1 '16 Coastal Carpet "Aria"
    1.0 '15 Axanthic Carpet "Xander"
    Boas:
    0.1 '16 Red Line Hypo BCI "Sophia"
    0.1 '16 Colombian BCI "Sonia"
    0.1 '16 Amazon Tree Boa "Athena"
    Colubrids:
    0.1 Albino Corn "Ezra"
    1.0 '16 Normal Corn "Loki"
    0.1 '16 Axanthic Hognose "Mira"
    0.1 '15 African House Snake "Nyah"
    Other:
    1.1 Bearded Dragons "Ruth" "Mushu"
    0.3 Leopard Geckos "Ophelia" "Amelia" "Daisy"
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko "Jinx"
    2.2 Cats "Wesley" "Leo" "Smoke" "Squishy"
    0.0.1 Grammostola rosea "Rose"
    0.0.1 Grammostola pulchripes
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans
    1.0 Boyfriend "Louis"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eavlynn For This Useful Post:

Fraido (10-09-2016),Gio (10-24-2016)

Thanks

So, I'm thinking of using a regulated heat pad to cover the bottom, with the cypress mulch that should bump up humidity? How does one go about offering heat for the perches in a tub/bin cage with a plastic lid?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eavlynn View Post
    I use a radiant heat panel inside of a pvc enclosure to heat my ATB. I wouldn't use a heat mat. You could buy some thick acrylic sheet to cover the screen top of the exoterra, drill some holes for ventilation, and mount a panel to it. It will provide heat, while keeping the humidity. I aim for 70% with my baby. Black out 3 of the sides with black construction paper for security. Modifying the current enclosure would be slightly less stressful than a total rehome. And perches for climbing are a must for these arboreal sweeties. Let it settle in a few days, and offer a large pinky or small fuzzy, warm to the touch. I'd go for a feeder around the same size as the widest part of the snake's body.

You responded at the same time as me! Oops.

I'm not sure where to go about getting an RHP, though. I've not seen them in any stores, even in the reptile store in town. Maybe I just haven't noticed because I haven't looked before.

Can you elaborate a little about the acrylic sheet and RHP thing? I'm not handy at all, even such a simple task like that confuses me. Haha

I do have him in the bin right now, though.

We are going out shortly once I know everything I need.
    I've got heat regulation, so I need a good proper heat source..
    Gotta get a good thermometer and hygrometer..
    Perches..

Thanks

I get heat panels from Bob at ProProducts. They are UL certified, which is great. The acrylic sheets are clear like glass, durable, and can usually be cut to size at the hardware store you purchase them from. Then you just silicone the edges for a good seal and presto. I don't know if I'd use a RHP in a bin set up, but they work great for modified exoterra enclosures and pvc enclosures. I swear by them if you can't tell haha.

Pythons:
    1.0 '15 Pastel BP "Nero"
    0.1 '15 VPI Axanthic BP "Zoe"
    1.0 Normal BP "Dmitri"
    1.0 '16 Spinner Blast BP "Dizzy"
    0.1 '15 Carpet Python "Isabel"
    0.1 '15 Tiger Jag Carpet "Lily"
    0.1 '16 Coastal Carpet "Aria"
    1.0 '15 Axanthic Carpet "Xander"
    Boas:
    0.1 '16 Red Line Hypo BCI "Sophia"
    0.1 '16 Colombian BCI "Sonia"
    0.1 '16 Amazon Tree Boa "Athena"
    Colubrids:
    0.1 Albino Corn "Ezra"
    1.0 '16 Normal Corn "Loki"
    0.1 '16 Axanthic Hognose "Mira"
    0.1 '15 African House Snake "Nyah"
    Other:
    1.1 Bearded Dragons "Ruth" "Mushu"
    0.3 Leopard Geckos "Ophelia" "Amelia" "Daisy"
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko "Jinx"
    2.2 Cats "Wesley" "Leo" "Smoke" "Squishy"
    0.0.1 Grammostola rosea "Rose"
    0.0.1 Grammostola pulchripes
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans
    1.0 Boyfriend "Louis"

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eavlynn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eavlynn View Post
    I get heat panels from Bob at ProProducts. They are UL certified, which is great. The acrylic sheets are clear like glass, durable, and can usually be cut to size at the hardware store you purchase them from. Then you just silicone the edges for a good seal and presto. I don't know if I'd use a RHP in a bin set up, but they work great for modified exoterra enclosures and pvc enclosures. I swear by them if you can't tell haha.

Ahhhh, I suspected I would have to order online! I'm not sure I can order online right now, RHP was the first thing that crossed my mind though.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Baby looks to be in good shape. they are thin long boas with skinny necks. Shouldn't need to go to the trouble of braining feeders for an ATB that was already established. I keep my atbs rather minimal with paper substrate, perches, hide and water bowl (some don't have hides, especially adults but most atbs will use a hide if given the option). For a young one, I set up in a tub and use garden fencing as the 'perch'. I usually put in fake foliage for cover as well. (photo below of my typical set up for little ones).

ATBs will usually take f/t without issue. For a reluctant feeder, heat it up. Use a blow dryer or hold it next to a hot lightbulb or whatever method you want. They go for heat. Don't overdo offering food; offer, if it doesn't eat, give it 3-5 days rest then try again. Approach the atb with the feeder on tongs. It may get defensive and strike but not grab. What I find works well is then start moving the feeder away from the snake. They will usually start tongue flicking and following it. This is how they turn from defensive into hunt mode and usually will then take it. If it's just being strikey and not taking it, sometimes bumping them on the side of the neck (one or two S curves back from the head) will elicit a strike and grab. If you want to offer live, a fuzzy mouse should be fine, just drop in the tub and leave it alone (at night time).

I can't help with the heating, I keep mine in a heated snake room and my min temps in the room are their ideal temps so I do not offer any additional heating for the ATB cages and tubs. A regulated heat pad under the tub should be fine.

I hope some of this helps, good luck.

For the Horde!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Baby looks to be in good shape. they are thin long boas with skinny necks. Shouldn't need to go to the trouble of braining feeders for an ATB that was already established. I keep my atbs rather minimal with paper substrate, perches, hide and water bowl (some don't have hides, especially adults but most atbs will use a hide if given the option). For a young one, I set up in a tub and use garden fencing as the 'perch'. I usually put in fake foliage for cover as well. (photo below of my typical set up for little ones).

ATBs will usually take f/t without issue. For a reluctant feeder, heat it up. Use a blow dryer or hold it next to a hot lightbulb or whatever method you want. They go for heat. Don't overdo offering food; offer, if it doesn't eat, give it 3-5 days rest then try again. Approach the atb with the feeder on tongs. It may get defensive and strike but not grab. What I find works well is then start moving the feeder away from the snake. They will usually start tongue flicking and following it. This is how they turn from defensive into hunt mode and usually will then take it. If it's just being strikey and not taking it, sometimes bumping them on the side of the neck (one or two S curves back from the head) will elicit a strike and grab. If you want to offer live, a fuzzy mouse should be fine, just drop in the tub and leave it alone (at night time).

I can't help with the heating, I keep mine in a heated snake room and my min temps in the room are their ideal temps so I do not offer any additional heating for the ATB cages and tubs. A regulated heat pad under the tub should be fine.

I hope some of this helps, good luck.

Very helpful. Thank you! I think I'm going to mimic your setup with the garden fence and the fake plant. I'm going to try the heat pad and cypress mulch, though.

They like the lower temps, yes? I've been reading that they prefer 80-82.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    80-85 is good but you don't want it going into the 90s for prolonged periods.
    For the Horde!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Fraido (10-09-2016)

Thanks

Okay, awesome. Thank you very much.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast