Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,978

3 members and 2,975 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Tub sizes?

Thanks

Tub sizes?

I plain on starting to breed rat on a small scale but im not sure what size of plastic tubs to get, so if you guys could tell me the suggested tub size (in gallons please) for the following-

1 adult male
    2 adult females
    2 adult females with litters
    newly weaned rats

Also what do you guys feed your rats? Right now im feeding dog food (cant remember the name) that has a good amount of protein in it but interesting in knowing what brands of dog food you guys feed or if you feed another type of food.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Tub sizes?

Tub size I use are concrete mixing tubs from home depot, so you want to shoot for that as far as foot print.

Do not start with adult rats, chances are they will be passed their prime for breeding, buy 2 small or weaned females and a male and raise them to optimum size of 250 grams (keep them separated while raising them to that size)

You want to be careful when using dog food the things you want to look for is protein (no higher than 18% preferably) and red dyes, you want a dog food without red dyes.

Otherwise their are special feeds for rats meant to be used as feeders such as Mazuri and Harlan

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    I should of said breeding sized rats instead of adult rat because for some reason I thought they where the same lol, thanks for the response, I currently have one breeding sized rat and one breeding size females with babies hoping to keep the females from this litter so I wont have to buy any.

Ill keep that in mind when looking for dog food for my rats i do know about i do know about Mazuris food but its to expensive for me to order it and get it shipped here, iv never heard about harlans so ill have to look that up

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A breeding sized rat (optimal size for female is 250 grams) even if not bred can be too old or passed it's prime for breeding

That's why you should always go by age/size, rats are sexually mature at 4 weeks old however they are far from being of optimal weight to do so. Getting a weaned rat 3 weeks old min to a 6 week old rat is really optimal you will have little ways to go and weight wise ensuring that you have young animals.

As far as holdback always remember that selective breeding in rats is very important, always strive to holdback from big litters 12 and up, from docile parents, from non chewer etc.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

the_rotten1 (10-08-2016)