Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,466

0 members and 1,466 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Do crested geckos need a photoperiod?

I have a shallow closet that I am considering putting my crested geckos in since space where I live is rather limited. The temperature is a stable 74-76 and on an interior wall. Do crested geckos need a photo period? Do I need to leave the closet door open except for special circumstances so they can receive natural sun cycles? Or are dim warm-white LEDs on a timer enough? I am aware they do not require UV, this is really more about their circadian rhythm.

Thanks

Re: Do crested geckos need a photoperiod?

As you said, they don't require UV, but I feel it is always good to let them receive natural light. Also, will the closet allow air flow and the tank to dry out over night after a misting? Don't want stale, humid air handing around, that is how animals get sick. Lots to think about really. I personally wouldn't put on in a closet. You got a photo of it?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I own:
    1.0 Reduced Normal Ball Python [Peter]
    0.1 Harlequin Crestie [Amelia]

The other half owns:
    1.0 Orange Dalmatian Crestie [Archie]
    0.1 Golden Dalmatian Crestie [Banana]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would leave to closet doors open as much as possible for air flow. The air will get stagnant in a small closed space, will likely remain too humid, stinky and just not be a healthy environment. They should have somewhat of a day/night cycle but it doesn't have to be bright light. I kept my crested geckos in a pretty dark room for years, but a small amount of light did get in around the heavy curtains I used to keep out the heat (and also some ambient light from other rooms). It was enough to regulate their day/night cycles even though it was never anywhere close to full daylight in the room. My collection is now in a different location, in a room that does receive full sunlight as heat is not so much of an issue. I find that their behavior and activity is pretty similar to the when they were in the darker room.
    - Emily