Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,949

6 members and 2,943 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Banana male hatchling not shedding.

Hello,
    I purchased a banana male hatchling at a recent show from a reputable breeder and was told it hasn't had its first shed. I took him home and put it into my rack that's powered by a herpstat 1 at 85 degrees. I own other bp's so all I did was put it on damp paper and let's days pass, every day I maintained the paper damp and all it wanted to do was hide in its hide. Still nothing. A week has passed and still nothing. She won't eat f/t mice or live fuzzies when I offered it. What could I be doing wrong? Or could it possibly be sick? Any help would be appreciated.
    Eddie

1.0 Banana Ball
    1.0 Lesser Bee
    1.0 Pastave
    0.1 Cinnamon
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I tried paper towels and newspaper and I thought it was OK at first but didn't really have anything to compare with. I also tried aspen, I hated that. Then I switched to Reptichip coconut husk, it's amazing stuff and really made my snakes eat more than anything else. If I were you I'd buy a block and give it a try. My paper towel / newspaper was OK but dried out fast and my snakes were a bit stressed out, didn't even know it until I changed to Reptichip. Now they practically leap out of the tubs looking for food when I open them, I have to watch out! Plus the maintenance of paper towels was incredible, lots of work spot cleaning every day. I don't even check on my Reptichip more than twice a week, could probably even go longer than a week if I had to before spot cleaning and spraying down with water.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 09-18-2016 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks

Re: Banana male hatchling not shedding.

Slow down there bud, let him acclimate to his new home. You should probably start worrying when 2-3 weeks have passed after bringing him home. Give him time, once he takes his first meal he should go into shed. My BP usually goes into shed almost 2-3 days after a meal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to danielwilu2525 For This Useful Post:

EddieMac (09-19-2016)

Thanks
    Personally I question the reputable nature of a breeder that sells any snake prior to its first shed and prior to being established as a feeder. I think the best thing you can do is get back in touch with the breeder and inform them of the issues. Let them guide you, as if it dies, then they are they people to deal with. Your set up is fine. I keep mine at 86oF ambient, paper towel, and a water bowl. Simple as that. It is unlikely that any will feed prior to shedding.

Warren

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Warren_Booth For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (09-19-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danielwilu2525 View Post
    Slow down there bud, let him acclimate to his new home. You should probably start worrying when 2-3 weeks have passed after bringing him home. Give him time, once he takes his first meal he should go into shed. My BP usually goes into shed almost 2-3 days after a meal.
    Ok thanks, it's just that I never had such a small snake. I've had them older so was a little worried over its first shed. It seems scared when I offer it a fuzzy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warren_Booth View Post
    Personally I question the reputable nature of a breeder that sells any snake prior to its first shed and prior to being established as a feeder. I think the best thing you can do is get back in touch with the breeder and inform them of the issues. Let them guide you, as if it dies, then they are they people to deal with. Your set up is fine. I keep mine at 86oF ambient, paper towel, and a water bowl. Simple as that. It is unlikely that any will feed prior to shedding.

Warren
    I got him on Sunday Sept 11th and he told me he was due to shed on Tuesday. And to feed him the day after. Only problem was he hasn't shed yet. But I'll wait it out. Thanks for the advice

Thanks

No problem, my bp was running away from a rat when I first brought him home! But after offering him a live rat after 2 weeks he slammed it! Once you see that you're snake is roaming around and becoming more active, than its time to offer. If you see him coming out of his hide A LOT, than he is one hungry snake!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to danielwilu2525 For This Useful Post:

EddieMac (09-19-2016)

Thanks

Warren
    Same here, you should learn from this experience. Any good breeder would know not to sell a baby until its first shed and a couple meals down.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I agree with Warren sadly it seems to become a trend people are just in a rush about everything including getting rid of what they produce and sadly because it hatches does not mean it will thrive and until it does it should not be sold

Buying an unstarted hatchling is a very risky move.

Every now and than as a breeder you will see an hatchling that will not shed on schedule (usually they will have their first shed within 10 to 12 days). It's not problematic in itself so long everything else goes as plan (feeding, bowel movement). If that does it will shed eventually, it could take 4 to 8 weeks.

If you have not done so yet do this except regarding the bedding use some coconut mulch and keep it moist, it will help with the first shed but also allow the animal to bury itself.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-hatchling-101

If you offered a live fuzzy it was probably not recognize as food your average hatchling is started on hoppers.

Warren

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 09-19-2016 at 12:41 AM.
    Deborah Stewart