Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,109

1 members and 3,108 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: got my BP today

Thanks

got my BP today

first off i would like to thank everyone that has answered the many questions i have had over the past few days. today i picked up my new BP and "its" (not sure if f or m) name is phantom. the petstore ordered it in for me and they even were nice enough to order 4 so i could choose from group. When i got there i looked them all over closly and choose the one that too me looked most healthy. i guess they all looked to be in good shape, but i am no expert. i hope i chose the right one. The one i choose was the one that was up as high as it could get. not sure if thats a good sign or bad. So far the snake has been very active and exploring its new home. i placed paper balls all around to help it seem not so open and the temps are right on. i will post pics later. now when should i introduce its first meal? I am thinking about trying a frozen pinky tonight. i have no way of knowing when or if its ate. i have some digital scales somewhere but cant find them to wiegh the BP. thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: got my BP today

Quote Originally Posted by new2BP
    now when should i introduce its first meal?
    Easy killer ... let your snake settle in and get adjusted to it's new home. I would give it 2 weeks of NO handling and as little peaking as you can stand before I'd even think about offering it food. Just make sure it has plenty of clean fresh water.

I am thinking about trying a frozen pinky tonight.
    No ball python should ever be offered a pinky mouse. They are way to small. I start my hatchlings on either hopper mice or rat pinkies and after that meal they are immediately moved up to small adult mice or fuzzy rats.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

found my scales and phantom is 57.6 g

Thanks

found my scales and phantom is 57.6 g
    The ball python needs time to get use to its surroundings. If you really want to reduce stress as much as possible you could also put some black or blue paper around the enclosure so that the bp will feel a bit more safe. Once he is settled in, then you can start handling, feeding and meausring
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

I can tell you as a very new owner too (we've had ours about 6 weeks now more or less) that the hardest part is following Adam's good advice about leaving the snake alone for a week at the least. Other than changing out it's water or removing feces/urates just stay away and let the snake get used to it's new environment in it's own way. We also kept ours in the quietest place in the house as we have 4 kids and I also babysit so it's a bit loud around here.

Our snake was about 2.5 to 3 months of age (sorry no weights) when we got it and at it's first feeding with us it immediately took a young adult mouse (as opposed to some of the huge adults our local pet store sells).

We offer food, pre-killed, every Monday evening (late evening is working best for us so far) and then we don't handle at all Tuesday or Wednesday. The rest of the time we handle for short times of no more than 10 to 15 minutes (if that) once or twice daily (again in the evening when the snake is alert and the house is quieter). Seems to be working as she's eating perfectly and is extremely easy to handle (we've yet to see her ball up or act in any way "nervy" when she's out of her sterlite tub).

Congrats on your new ball python. If you take the time now to just go slow with her or him (even tho it's so hard to not handle them at first), I'm sure it will benefit you and the snake immensely.

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~