Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,456

1 members and 3,455 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

New Carpet Python- Is it actually an Irian Jaya?

I just traded a guy on Craigslist for an adult female Pastel, he told me the snake I was trading for was an adult male irian jaya carpet. Is this true? I know this snake isn't a great example of one, but cool nonetheless.
    Also, the cage he is in is a 55 gallon, but I was reading online that some adults could be housed in a 40 gallon? Which one is better? Or do I need a new setup all together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: New Carpet Python- Is it actually an Irian Jaya?

Carpet pythons are often very difficult to identify locality, especially in old age as colors fade. However, I would say yours looks like an older IJ (that is my opinion, not an expert). If he told you it was an IJ, I wouldn't doubt what he's saying. Coloring is the main way to identify the difference (typically IJ's stay smaller, and appear lighter or more brown in color). Here's the problem, I have seen numerous IJ's that end up very dark in old age. I've also seen IJ's that look nearly identical to some coastals in old age. It's very hard to tell in summary.

I would not be keeping him 55 gallon or a 40 gallon though. The width of the tank will keep him jammed in there like a sardine.

All of what I'm telling you is opinion, there are numerous people more qualified than I on this site...........but if it were me, Id be looking at something like an Animal Plastics T13 or even a T25 for an old boy of that size. I personally, am not a fan of glass type enclosures as they make your humidity requirements difficult to obtain......at the same time I understand that many people do not have the money to buy a setup like the one I'm describing. If you can do it, I think you'll be much happier with a pvc cage though.....and so will he.

Some publications say you can get away with a cage that is 3x2x2....and in your case I would disagree as he appears to be a pretty large boy. I would argue that your cage should be a bare minimum of 4x2x1.

How long is he exactly? Do you have a shed yet that you can measure?
    Last edited by KevinK; 10-11-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem with carpet is unless you buy from a reputable breeder that keeps strict lineage record, it could be a mutt as many people will breed undergrads than sell off the siblings which often looks like pure but that are not.

As far as setup a 4x2 case is what I recommend for carpet, proper size, better insulated and hold humidity much better.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyballs View Post
    Carpet pythons are often very difficult to identify locality, especially in old age as colors fade. However, I would say yours looks like an older IJ (that is my opinion, not an expert). If he told you it was an IJ, I wouldn't doubt what he's saying. Coloring is the main way to identify the difference (typically IJ's stay smaller, and appear lighter or more brown in color). Here's the problem, I have seen numerous IJ's that end up very dark in old age. I've also seen IJ's that look nearly identical to some coastals in old age. It's very hard to tell in summary.

I would not be keeping him 55 gallon or a 40 gallon though. The width of the tank will keep him jammed in there like a sardine.

All of what I'm telling you is opinion, there are numerous people more qualified than I on this site...........but if it were me, Id be looking at something like an Animal Plastics T13 or even a T25 for an old boy of that size. I personally, am not a fan of glass type enclosures as they make your humidity requirements difficult to obtain......at the same time I understand that many people do not have the money to buy a setup like the one I'm describing. If you can do it, I think you'll be much happier with a pvc cage though.....and so will he.

Some publications say you can get away with a cage that is 3x2x2....and in your case I would disagree as he appears to be a pretty large boy. I would argue that your cage should be a bare minimum of 4x2x1.

How long is he exactly? Do you have a shed yet that you can measure?
    I would estimate 5-6 feet he is pretty long

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ball python 300 View Post
    I would estimate 5-6 feet he is pretty long

Yeah, I would be looking at a pvc cage a minimum of 4x2x1 (more vertical height is even better) in that case.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyballs View Post
    Yeah, I would be looking at a pvc cage a minimum of 4x2x1 (more vertical height is even better) in that case.
    Ok will do thanks for the response