Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,140

3 members and 3,137 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Savannah monitor rescue

I've got my fingers crossed that he pulls right through for you, you're doing a wonderful thing. 😊 Hope to see him as a big, old, chunky and happy guy one day!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

Eavlynn (09-07-2016)

Thanks
    Did some digging and found this link, some of the statements I disagree with, however the did note the following, which I remembered reading elsewhere, I am just trying to find it from a more reputable source, if I do I will post the link for you:

"Monitors are natural burrowers and will create humid burrows that helps keep them hydrated. Misting the cage daily or even soaking them does not keep them hydrated. They do not absorb water through their skin or vent like some other reptiles, the only way to hydrate themselves is by breathing humid moist air, through the eyes and by drinking water."

http://www.everythingreptile.org/res...or-rescue.html
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    Did some digging and found this link, some of the statements I disagree with, however the did note the following, which I remembered reading elsewhere, I am just trying to find it from a more reputable source, if I do I will post the link for you:

"Monitors are natural burrowers and will create humid burrows that helps keep them hydrated. Misting the cage daily or even soaking them does not keep them hydrated. They do not absorb water through their skin or vent like some other reptiles, the only way to hydrate themselves is by breathing humid moist air, through the eyes and by drinking water."

http://www.everythingreptile.org/res...or-rescue.html
    Thank you for this! I'll make some changes for this little guy asap. The lights are likely killing the humidity in the air, but I have a humidifier I can route through pvs tubing into his enclosure until he gets enough strength up to start burrowing. I'll keep offering water orally as well. He hasn't taken anything but reptiboost, but it doesn't hurt to offer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Pythons:
    1.0 '15 Pastel BP "Nero"
    0.1 '15 VPI Axanthic BP "Zoe"
    1.0 Normal BP "Dmitri"
    1.0 '16 Spinner Blast BP "Dizzy"
    0.1 '15 Carpet Python "Isabel"
    0.1 '15 Tiger Jag Carpet "Lily"
    0.1 '16 Coastal Carpet "Aria"
    1.0 '15 Axanthic Carpet "Xander"
    Boas:
    0.1 '16 Red Line Hypo BCI "Sophia"
    0.1 '16 Colombian BCI "Sonia"
    0.1 '16 Amazon Tree Boa "Athena"
    Colubrids:
    0.1 Albino Corn "Ezra"
    1.0 '16 Normal Corn "Loki"
    0.1 '16 Axanthic Hognose "Mira"
    0.1 '15 African House Snake "Nyah"
    Other:
    1.1 Bearded Dragons "Ruth" "Mushu"
    0.3 Leopard Geckos "Ophelia" "Amelia" "Daisy"
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko "Jinx"
    2.2 Cats "Wesley" "Leo" "Smoke" "Squishy"
    0.0.1 Grammostola rosea "Rose"
    0.0.1 Grammostola pulchripes
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans
    1.0 Boyfriend "Louis"

Thanks
    Not a problem... The lights will kill the humidity to a degree yes, so will the screen top you have, its kind of a catch 22 with that setup, you cant really cover up the screen top because then it ends up dry with no airflow. A humidifier should help. What wattage bulb are you running? Even in that cage (how tall is it overall?) you could on one side add enough substrate and semi burry one of the logs so its like a little burrow, put wet moss inside it and soak the substrate on that end, that should provide a nice humid hide for him without the need to waste energy digging. Another way to naturally boost the humidity would be to put the water dish near the heat source.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

Eavlynn (09-08-2016)

Thanks

I'm running a 75 watt Zilla basking spot bulb. It has dual reflectors in the bulb so that you get a more direct downward beam with a nice hot spot. The tank is a 20 long, so about 10 to 12 inches tall. I can bury the half log a bit more to create a burrow. The cubby beneath the basking site also acts as a burrow. The wetter the substrate is, the cooler it feels to the touch. Could that pose a problem? I don't want the little guy to get cold. I gave him some clear Pedialyte orally to help hydrate him. He seemed to perk up a little bit afterward. I really hope I didn't get him too late. He's still so weak, but it's also only day 3.

Pythons:
    1.0 '15 Pastel BP "Nero"
    1.0 Normal BP "Dmitri"
    Boas:
    Colubrids:
    0.1 Albino Corn "Ezra"
    Other:
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans
    1.0 Boyfriend "Louis"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eavlynn View Post
    I'm running a 75 watt Zilla basking spot bulb. It has dual reflectors in the bulb so that you get a more direct downward beam with a nice hot spot. The tank is a 20 long, so about 10 to 12 inches tall. I can bury the half log a bit more to create a burrow. The cubby beneath the basking site also acts as a burrow. The wetter the substrate is, the cooler it feels to the touch. Could that pose a problem? I don't want the little guy to get cold. I gave him some clear Pedialyte orally to help hydrate him. He seemed to perk up a little bit afterward. I really hope I didn't get him too late. He's still so weak, but it's also only day 3.

Reptiles can be more resilient that we give them credit for, you are doing a great job so keep it up! I am just spit balling ideas at the moment to help with hydration. I suggested burring the log with as deep a substrate as you can get because it will be like a humid box for them to go in, the rock under the basking area wont hold moisture. I wouldn't get the substrate soaking wet, but lets say since it looks like you have heat on both sides of the cage you put the log diagonally and pack substrate all the way around creating an opening that goes 6 inches or so down, they would be surrounded by substrate and if you throw some damp moss in there, then they will have a high humidity area for them to retreat, then they have the option of basking to get warm....these are just ideas if you get a few more days down the road, if you decide to tweak things here and there, a massive change instantly may stress him out.
    Last edited by jclaiborne; 09-08-2016 at 04:08 PM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

Eavlynn (09-08-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    Reptiles can be more resilient that we give them credit for, you are doing a great job so keep it up! I am just spit balling ideas at the moment to help with hydration. I suggested burring the log with as deep a substrate as you can get because it will be like a humid box for them to go in, the rock under the basking area wont hold moisture. I wouldn't get the substrate soaking wet, but lets say since it looks like you have heat on both sides of the cage you put the log diagonally and pack substrate all the way around creating an opening that goes 6 inches or so down, they would be surrounded by substrate and if you throw some damp moss in there, then they will have a high humidity area for them to retreat, then they have the option of basking to get warm....these are just ideas if you get a few more days down the road, if you decide to tweak things here and there, a massive change instantly may stress him out.
    I'm actually thinking about eliminating the low wattage bulb for heating the other end of the enclosure. The room stays pretty warm, so it's probably not necessary and would help to keep humidity in the enclosure. I hope you're right and that this guy is resilient as all hell. I don't want him to give up after coming this far.

Pythons:
    1.0 '15 Pastel BP "Nero"
    1.0 Normal BP "Dmitri"
    Boas:
    Colubrids:
    0.1 Albino Corn "Ezra"
    Other:
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans
    1.0 Boyfriend "Louis"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eavlynn View Post
    I'm actually thinking about eliminating the low wattage bulb for heating the other end of the enclosure. The room stays pretty warm, so it's probably not necessary and would help to keep humidity in the enclosure. I hope you're right and that this guy is resilient as all hell. I don't want him to give up after coming this far.

This is going to sound direct, it's going to sound blunt. I can't help that. Ignore the advice if you wish, but it's what you need to hear.

That set up is not going to cut it. You need - now, not later - the following:

1. A minimum of a 130 degree basking spot. Minimum.

2. A deep diggable substrate deep enough to hold humidity, form burrows and provide the necessary security the animal needs to lower his stress level and recuperate. The humidity needs to be over 60% period outside of a burrow - much higher in it.

3. Stop handling and soaking this animal. It is most likely extremely stressed and suffering from renal and metabolic issues from being improperly kept.

4. An enclosure of sufficient size and strength to provide the thermal gradient required, along with holding in the moisture and providing for the aforementioned substrate.

I recommend going to your local tractor supply and getting either a plastic or metal stock tank. Preferably 4x2x2. Fill it up with 18" of 40% play sand and 55% good oil garden dirt. Mix in about 5% decomposed granite. Wet it to the point that it forms a ball when compressed but is not dripping wet. If possible, build a retes stack - it's fairly simple - and place it under the basking light.

Use a 4x2 piece of plywood or plexiglass for a makeshift lid. Drill a few holes in it with a small drill bit to provide for a small amount of ventilation. Perhaps 10 to 15 1/8" drill holes towards the center of the lid.

The basking light can be mounted to the underside of this make shift lid or you can cut a circular hole big enough to set a dome fixture on the top and place some mesh underneath it (think Vision Cage setup in this regard).

You can also find stock tanks on Craigslist.

It sounds like a lot of work but it isn't. With proper basking temps, a deep, diggable and moist substrate, he will begin eating and thriving. The odds of your success will improve. The setup you have now is only nominally better than the one you rescued him from.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (09-09-2016),jclaiborne (09-09-2016)

Thanks

I want to thank everyone for their help and well wishes. The little monitor passed away last night. I knew his odds weren't good. Thank you for all of the support.

Pythons:
    1.0 '15 Pastel BP "Nero"
    1.0 Normal BP "Dmitri"
    Boas:
    Colubrids:
    0.1 Albino Corn "Ezra"
    Other:
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans
    1.0 Boyfriend "Louis"

Thanks

Aweh, sorry. That really sucks. At least somebody cared for him.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

Eavlynn (09-09-2016)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast