Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,860

0 members and 1,860 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Breeding "lines"

When looking at both Pastels and Albino's I always see references to what "line" they come from so it raises the question in my mind.....is there any problem breeding from one line to the other...as in can a say NERD line Pastel breed to a Pastel from say Ralph Davis line. Same sort of question with Albino's (taking into account of course the T-, T+ issue). Just wondering why the "line" is always mentioned unless it's quite important in some way.

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Breeding "lines"

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Just wondering why the "line" is always mentioned unless it's quite important in some way.
    It's all about marketing. Putting your "name" with a morph helps your reputation. People that buy from breeders and have good dealing with them will "promote" that breeders "line" by referring to the animals as "breeder x" pastels or "breeder h" albinos. Heck, even I have preferences for some "lines" over others, but know deep down that one line is just as likely to make screamers as another or one is just as likely to make clunkers as the other.

Don't get too hung up on "lines" ... anyone can have them ... shoot, I've imported morphs from Africa but I would never be pretentious enough to start my own "line" ... just not my style.

Bottom line ... research, research, research, and buy the best looking animal that you can afford!!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    Don't get too hung up on "lines" ... anyone can have them ... shoot, I've imported morphs from Africa but I would never be pretentious enough to start my own "line" ... just not my style.
    LOL....Wysocki Line Butterscotch Hypos .....

I always figured it was either marketing or just pride in the animals. That is a way to get your name around really fast thats for sure.

And I always wondered if you mixed to lines what would you call it....
    Graziani+Nerd Line pastel= Granerd line pastel? ... or would you just to with which ever name you thought was better?
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    And I always wondered if you mixed to lines what would you call it....
    Graziani+Nerd Line pastel= Granerd line pastel?
    Well, it certainly sounds better than a Naziani Pastel.

Thanks

It's all about marketing.-adam
    That's not entirely true! There are some morhs that have different 'strains' as it were, I think axanthic is one of them, and they are not compatible with each other.
    1.3.0-dog- Rocky, Adrian, Sadie, Sascha
    1.0.0-normal Python Regius- Cole
    0.1.0-het Piebald Pyhton Regius- not named yet
    0.1.0-Boa Constrictor Imperator- Lola
    1.0.0-het purple albino SD Reticulated Python
    "Even though I don't have all the things I want, I'm really grateful for the things I don't have that I don't want."- Jeremy Duncan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinnimac
    That's not entirely true! There are some morhs that have different 'strains' as it were, I think axanthic is one of them, and they are not compatible with each other.
    I thought we were talking about "lines" and specifically pastels and albinos???

The different axanthics out there are each generally thought of as unique and individual because they are not compatible and for the most part look very different as adults. They express the same genetic condition, but are totally unique as adults and in the combinations (i.e. snows) that they make. But, for example, there are breeders out there that own imported axanthic animals that are compatible with the “VPI” line axanthics …. so does that make the imported animals VPI axanthics as well?

Things like hypos, pastels, mojaves, albinos, stripes, clowns, etc are all the genetically the same and are just marketed with different breeders names in front of them to help bring in a few more dollars.

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks

I was just specifically asking about the "lines" of albinos and pastels actually as those are the two morphs Mike and I are most interested in starting with over the next few years but as always thanks for the great input (so much to learn, so little left over brain matter to store it in LOL).

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Red face Re: Breeding "lines"

Sorry 'bout that, didn't mean to rankle anyone.
    1.3.0-dog- Rocky, Adrian, Sadie, Sascha
    1.0.0-normal Python Regius- Cole
    0.1.0-het Piebald Pyhton Regius- not named yet
    0.1.0-Boa Constrictor Imperator- Lola
    1.0.0-het purple albino SD Reticulated Python
    "Even though I don't have all the things I want, I'm really grateful for the things I don't have that I don't want."- Jeremy Duncan

Thanks

Things like hypos, pastels, mojaves, albinos, stripes, clowns, etc are all the genetically the same and are just marketed with different breeders names in front of them to help bring in a few more dollars.
    Ha ha....i asked this question in my payment letter that you will be getting in a few days so just disregard that

So the all hypos will mix with each other? This has been something I have been trying to figure out for a while. For example, from Graziani site talking about his hypos....''This line of Hypo is not compatible with the Yellow, Orange or Green Hypos.'' I thought some hypos don't mix and would just give you Double hets....is that wrong?

I have been dreaming of next year(ya already ) and have been thinking of getting a het male hypo that is a possible het for caramel or axanthic just to try my luck with a possible caramel glow or true ghost project. But, It is hard to figure out who has compatable hypos from what is said online. I like all hypos....but down the road I really dont want to waste the time and money on producing some possible double hets for two types of hypos.

ha ha....help me out here...i am getting a little confused
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    For example, from Graziani site talking about his hypos....''This line of Hypo is not compatible with the Yellow, Orange or Green Hypos.''
    I'm pretty sure Greg acknowledges that he has something that is hypomelanistic, but not necessarily genetically the same as what people typically think of as hypos/ghosts. I think that over time he will be able to answer a lot more questions and may even begin to refer to his hypo appearing animals as something different from traditional hypos/ghosts.

Many years ago Tracy Barker had a hypomelanistic animal that was also not compatible with all of the other hypos. That snake also had a scale “texture” that was supposedly very unique.

I’m sure there may be other animals floating around that might have genetics that make them different. That’s why it’s important to ask a lot of questions of the person producing any animals that you are investing in and working with someone that takes the time to find out what they have in order to help you with your breeding success.

I've crossed offspring of imported hypos owned by VPI, Kyle Stevens, and Matt Turner with my imported butterscotch and imported green animals and they have all been compatible. I've also mixed yellow, green, and butterscotch successfully.

-adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast