Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,972

0 members and 2,972 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Gem is gorgeous. As for the video, he needs to invest in a pair of tongs and wouldn't a q-tip dunked in mouthwash have worked for a much quicker release? That's what I use when Bernie, one of my Rosie's, bites me. He does it without warning also.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (02-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: New chondro... 2007 female Aru, named Gem!

Quote Originally Posted by BeelzeBall. View Post
    man that thing is gorgeous! the name Gem fits it very well. grats bro.
    she is! I've had her for half a year now, just using this as a photo thread (not really a progression thread, since she's already 10 years old LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by DLena View Post
    Gem is gorgeous. As for the video, he needs to invest in a pair of tongs and wouldn't a q-tip dunked in mouthwash have worked for a much quicker release? That's what I use when Bernie, one of my Rosie's, bites me. He does it without warning also.
    I think the guy was purposely trying to get his GTP to bite him, if you read the description- though I have no clue why he would want to do that.

Thanks

Your' snake is so awesome!!!
    I love GTPs, would really love to have one myself but I'm more onto puppy tamed Balls. Maybe one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike17 For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (02-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    What a gorgeous girl !!!

GTP's are beautiful. I had two, picked them out in person at Ophiological Services in Florida. I helped them clean about 30 hatchling tubs, in order to pick my two Thats were I got my first 2 bites. Didn't even hurt at all, but those were teeny tiny ones Its really amazing just how small GTP hatchlings are.

I picked a yellow and a burgundy one and the color change to green is mind blowing !!

Both mine were puppydog tame, could be handled without a problem. Hatchlings are fragile though, and you can't just "pluck" them off of their branch. Best is to have removable branches and to use you hand to slowly "replace" the branch and let them move up your arm.

Night time is FUN. I would never stick my hand in a GTP enclosure in the evening or at night. Its eerie, when you stand in front of the cage they ever so slowly come closer and closer, until you are eye to eye. And their eyes get dark and huge, LOL.

Oh yeah, use tongs to feed (unlike the guy in the video).

They make gorgeous display animals. I didn't handle mine all that often, but when I wanted to, never a problem.
    Last edited by zina10; 02-27-2017 at 09:12 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (02-28-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike17 View Post
    Your' snake is so awesome!!!
    I love GTPs, would really love to have one myself but I'm more onto puppy tamed Balls. Maybe one day.

Thanks!! Yeah, they are more of a display snake. But I have seen some puppydog tame GTP's out there, just rare! I'm sure if you ask around breeders for their tamest sub-adult/adult snake, you'll find one you like.

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    What a gorgeous girl !!!

GTP's are beautiful. I had two, picked them out in person at Ophiological Services in Florida. I helped them clean about 30 hatchling tubs, in order to pick my two Thats were I got my first 2 bites. Didn't even hurt at all, but those were teeny tiny ones Its really amazing just how small GTP hatchlings are.

I picked a yellow and a burgundy one and the color change to green is mind blowing !!

Both mine were puppydog tame, could be handled without a problem. Hatchlings are fragile though, and you can't just "pluck" them off of their branch. Best is to have removable branches and to use you hand to slowly "replace" the branch and let them move up your arm.

Night time is FUN. I would never stick my hand in a GTP enclosure in the evening or at night. Its eerie, when you stand in front of the cage they ever so slowly come closer and closer, until you are eye to eye. And their eyes get dark and huge, LOL.

Oh yeah, use tongs to feed (unlike the guy in the video).

They make gorgeous display animals. I didn't handle mine all that often, but when I wanted to, never a problem.
    Wow, that's a fun way to pick out snakes! I wish I could do that! LOL. The GTP hatchlings are so incredibly fragile, it is pretty amazing.

Night time is definitely fun haha. My girl is just now going into her first shed (after over half a year), and she's become chill and reclusive even at night now. Gem is super fast normally though, even with her night time stalking. Sometimes she whips around and comes slamming into the glass door so fast, if I move in front of the cage/sit down. I feel sorry for her.

Same, my girl is also handle-able without tagging me, but she definitely isn't "tame" either. She is pretty stressed and freaks out when I take her out for handling, especially if I try to get her off the perch. She kind of lunges her 3 foot neck towards the nearest tall thing (usually my face... trying to climb on the top of my head or something) and desperately tries to get away from me lmao.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 02-28-2017 at 03:14 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Thanks!! Yeah, they are more of a display snake. But I have seen some puppydog tame GTP's out there, just rare! I'm sure if you ask around breeders for their tamest sub-adult/adult snake, you'll find one you like.

Wow, that's a fun way to pick out snakes! I wish I could do that! LOL. The GTP hatchlings are so incredibly fragile, it is pretty amazing.

Night time is definitely fun haha. My girl is just now going into her first shed (after over half a year), and she's become chill and reclusive even at night now. Gem is super fast normally though, even with her night time stalking. Sometimes she whips around and comes slamming into the glass door so fast, if I move in front of the cage/sit down. I feel sorry for her.

Same, my girl is also handle-able without tagging me, but she definitely isn't "tame" either. She is pretty stressed and freaks out when I take her out for handling, especially if I try to get her off the perch. She kind of lunges her 3 foot neck towards the nearest tall thing (usually my face... trying to climb on the top of my head or something) and desperately tries to get away from me lmao.
    She isn't used to handling. But like you said, they are more of a display snake. But not many are outright aggressive either, they just want to get away.

I picked very calm and curious hatchlings, since I had many to pick from, haha. Of course that didn't guarantee anything. But they did stay that way. I guess they just got used to me and knew they wouldn't get hurt. Even with the odd handling (perhaps once or twice the month) they stayed completely calm and curious. They "stepped up" like a bird, LOL !! Not really, but I did hold my hand sideways like you would to ask a bird to step up, then I would slide it in from underneath the branch and between their coils. By then they knew it was "pick up" time and started to move up my arms.

If someone wants a "Living Art" Display with branches and plants and a stunning, always visible snake in the middle of it, the GTP is it Yours is a Beauty.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Mike17 (02-28-2017)

Thanks
    I wanted to update with something crazy that happened just now in regards to handling Gem. I handle her pretty regularly (relative to GTP's I guess), maybe once every other week, sometimes once a week. She takes to it decently enough- nervous, but not going crazy, and even eventually relaxing.

Today, I took her out as usual, and as she was coming off the perch onto my arm, she seemed to suddenly go into a frozen trance. I don't know how else to describe it, but she froze stock-still like a statue and WOULD NOT move, not even her eyes or tail or neck, for nearly 5 minutes! Part of her body happened to be wrapped around my wrist, and her grip became stone hard and tight, cutting off my circulation, and I literally had to pry her off with quite a lot of strength. It was as if she died with all her muscles in place! After prying her off, she still stayed in this statue-like trance. Not even breathing hard enough to see. I put her back in her cage, and she continued staying in the same position for nearly 10 minutes... not even her eyes or tail moved. I was so worried.

Eventually, she started moving again, but was showing very unusual behavior compared to usual- kept sniffing the rocks and corner of her cage, instead of going back onto the perch. I've never seen or heard of this before. Has anybody experienced this before with a GTP or any snake? It's so unusual and honestly I was panicking a lot lol (partially because my hand's circulation was being cut off, and partially because she was suddenly a zombie).

Anyway, here are some normal pics of her... unrelated.

Last edited by redshepherd; 06-11-2017 at 07:17 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

silverbill (06-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    bamp for more Gem pix!

RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (11-15-2017)

Thanks
    Aw thanks Ax! I got some!

Unfortunately all iphone pics, and nothing super interesting since I don't take her out to handle as much anymore.

Food...?!

Yiss.

big girl still big. I might end up moving her into Pixie's cage once I get Pixie an even bigger cage!
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-15-2017 at 09:04 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (11-16-2017),Ax01 (11-16-2017),Prognathodon (11-16-2017)

Thanks

New chondro... 2007 female Aru, named Gem!

Omg from start to finish, this thread and all he pictures you have posted have been absolutely stunning, I️ CANNOT wait to see more, this is actually something I️ may inquire for me and my husband, they’re truly stunning Pythons, I️ really would LOVE to have one.

Last edited by Aerries; 11-15-2017 at 09:38 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (11-16-2017)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast