Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,809

0 members and 2,809 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Post Brought home new babies!

I went to the All MD Reptile Show and returned home with 2.5 crestie babies. One perished en route No sun exposure, pleasant temps and everything. It was a dark patternless one month old and when we got outside it was showing definate red!!! I'm sure the age and stress of moving was the culparate and the breeder asked me to bring it back to him and offered to replace it as well. I'll be out for a 45 minute trip tomorrow (1 1/2 today!!!) with my 3 year old son and one year old daughter in tow...again...woohoo, I can't wait

My other two harlequin morphs seems dandy though. They ate and drank after we got home and settled in. Hopefully it was stress and not disease and my trip out tomorrow will be fairly hassle free and fruitful.

Check out my gallery for my pics!

Wendy

0.1 Het Hypo BP (Breena)
    1.1 German Shepard (KA-ZAR & Cody)
    0.1 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.1 Creamsicle corn (Trixie)
    0.1 Lavendar het motley corn (Lily)
    1.0 Motley Corn (Jackson)

Thanks

Re: Brought home new babies!

sorry about the baby, at least you'll get a replacement. let us know how it turns out. those cresteds are addictive!

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

yeah! cresties are the best. i'm glad you are getting the one baby replaced. i hope the new one works out for you. let's see some more pics!
    - Emily

Thanks

Question Some advice appreciated...

Thanks for the support and yes they are addictive! I'm already trying to calm myself down about the Mid-Atlantic Reptile Show in September. I could have another breeding colony! Okay, I first have to successfully raise and then discover the sex of my new little ones.

I went to the breeder (Shayne of Treehuggers, he mostly sells tree pythons, womas and some other snake the looked really pissed off when he pulled out his rubbermaid) and picked up my new baby today. It looks really alert so far but I haven't observed it eating. The other two are quite happily eating and drinking so I think this one should fall in line as well.

I also got to see the parents of these guys. One parent is a gorgeous red, he was beautiful I believe two came from this breeding colony and the third came from another with another red male with several orange females (one beautiful orange dalmation...soooo nice). Shayne was holding back a third male who was really cool as well, wonderful red coloration even during the day when I was there and it was sort of patchy (more vibrant red in spots than others).

I could honestly go on and on! I know the humidity should be on the higher end but just how high? I have an Acu Rite therm with duel temp and humidity levels. My house stays around 74 degrees and the humidity remains in the high 80s. Right now the three are in a small critter keeper because my other enclosure seemd entirely too large (~20 gal). They have a humid hide, paper towel substrate, a small dish with some baby peaches and CGD available and plenty of fake ivy to climb and hide in. These guys were fed exclusively baby food (chicken and fruit in a 3 - 1 mixture) and I want to bring them over to CGD because that is what most of the caresheets call for. I currently have some small crickets (they have been eating this as well previously) gutloading for a feeding in a day or two. I'm assuming I should be offering the CGD/baby fruit mix all the time cleaning it up every morning and putting it out at night? Obviously if I feed crickets one night I would forgo the CGD. I've not noticed how often to feed babies but my experience with other young animals is that they need smaller meals more often. Is this the case here? Should I leave the CGD/baby mix out all day? I wanted to minimize mold and such.

Okay, I think I've gone a little too far. I'l take a giant breath and wait and see. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Wendy

0.1 Het Hypo BP (Breena)
    0.1 Gargoyle Gecko

Thanks

Re: Some advice appreciated...

Oh, I like your babies! Very cute!!
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

too much babyfood and they will look like little blimps! i feed babyfood only once a week and then remove it the next morning. i've noticed the best growth on crickets. i use the cgd diet with babies (pinhead crix are a pain to get and keep) i mix the diet a little soupy like 3 to 1. cresteds are realy hardy and can go from the 60's to mid 80's in temps and high humidity should not be a problem as long as good airflow is present.

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks

ahh....good to know about the baby food! Do you feed every day for babies?

And as adults did you switch completely to crickets?
    Wendy

0.1 Het Hypo BP (Breena)
    0.1 Gargoyle Gecko

Thanks

i feed babies the cgd diet daily and everyone gets babyfood only once a week. as soon as the babies are big enough i switch them to mainly crickets.
    crickets i feed 3 or 4 times a week.

vaughn
    you can't have just one!