Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,881

0 members and 2,881 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SD experience

Thanks

SD experience

I thought to show another 50% SD so readers have another data point to decide if they want one. The tiger is a 2012 male from Bob Clark. I’ve had him for about a 1 1/2years at this point. Originally he was 5 lb and 6 feet long. He is now about 8 feet long at this time and last weighed 12 lb’s. (This seems to be what I have seen written for mainland strains, but maybe Biji is related to Fluffy.) He is hands down the coolest snake that I have ever owned. But also moody. Sometimes he is begging to come out and play. Sometimes he is twitchy and looks ornery; sometimes he is pushing me off so I leave him alone.

Last edited by o.r hill; 08-21-2016 at 07:24 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to o.r hill For This Useful Post:

Dxw425 (10-27-2017),Gio (08-22-2016),Kcl (10-30-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Re: SD experience

Very nice looking critter Hill.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

o.r hill (08-21-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Gorgeous tiger! I'd like a SD tiger or albino at some point but I'm holding out for a higher % SD bloodline. My 100% Kalatoa is definitely the most interesting snake I've owned and she's got me wanting more now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

o.r hill (08-21-2016)

Thanks

He is so cool

jm. what is your Kalatoa like?

I thought that I would add a little more about this guy’s personality. He can be a little freaky when he is rammy over food expectations. And he takes five times more cleaning than my other two snakes.

What makes it all worthwhile is that hH-e is by far the most interactive snake that i ever had. The image is of him supervising housekeeping . Of all the places he could have gone than morning, he chose come into the bathroom and see what I was doing. What ever room I am in, he just happens to show up. If I am on the computer he will sit by me. He is also very expressive between eyes, posture and movements.

Thanks
    I'm going to go ahead and sub into this super interesting thread if y'all don't mind. I'm planning my next snake, i have a central american boa now, a male so he's a little guy. Although i adore him, i also really want to get into some size; basically i keep yo-yo'ing between a big boa (preferably BCC) and a small retic (high% SD). I've read a lot of comments on the subject, but i feel like its so subjective and varied that you can just never have too much info from experienced keepers. Physically, as long as the breeder's %'s were accurate i'm comfortable with an SD a few feet longer than a typical boa, i feel like a little extra length sort of comes out in the wash since they have nowhere near the girth of the boa. But behavior! Thats what i need to get a feel for - o.r hill, you're comment above really got me thinking. My boa is very friendly, but often times he really wants nothing more than to perch on the back of my chair, and i'm like, "C'mon, man, you've been locked in a plastic tub for 48 hours, lets play!" But at he same time, i don't want a 9 ft corn snake; i appreciate my dude's calm demeanor when we're just watching tv or on the computer, is that kind of thing even possible with retics or are they too active?

Sorry for rambling - i've been obsessing for a few weeks now, anyway, i really appreciate all the knowledge that is so generously shared on this forum so thank you all.
    1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty

Thanks
    I have a 100% kalatoa female and just recently acquired a 75% dwarf velvet female. I haven't posted about the velvet on here yet because she's only been here 4 days. Shes still settling in. I think anyone who likes snakes should have a retic. The ones I've interacted with have been great. I have 1 albino ball python female and it will be my last. I don't have patients for the food stikes. I feel if smaller retics were more readily available, less people would have ball pythons. Mine are active, good eaters (kalatoa At least, velvets still new), personable, predictable, and all around more interesting to own. A healthy weight 10 foot retic is really not huge. My super dwarf is in the 600g range, and 5 feet long. My ball is 1400g and 3ish feet long. Don't let the size scare you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Yodawagon For This Useful Post:

dkatz4 (08-22-2016)

Thanks
    Here's the velvet.
    Last edited by Yodawagon; 08-22-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Yodawagon For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (08-22-2016),dkatz4 (08-23-2016),Fraido (08-22-2016),jmcrook (08-22-2016),o.r hill (08-23-2016),reptileexperts (08-23-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.r hill View Post
    I thought to show another 50% SD so readers have another data point to decide if they want one. The tiger is a 2012 male from Bob Clark. I’ve had him for about a 1 1/2years at this point. Originally he was 5 lb and 6 feet long. He is now about 8 feet long at this time and last weighed 12 lb’s. (This seems to be what I have seen written for mainland strains, but maybe Biji is related to Fluffy.) He is hands down the coolest snake that I have ever owned. But also moody. Sometimes he is begging to come out and play. Sometimes he is twitchy and looks ornery; sometimes he is pushing me off so I leave him alone.

The tiger pattern is possibly my favorite pattern of all snakes.

Nice animal you have. I'm strongly considering a dwarf/SD male tiger but I'm also a huge carpet fan and love Bridlel's and Brisbane locality coastals.

The only other animals I'd consider would be Peru or Surinam locality BCs.

OK,,,, and the rare shot at a Papuan Olive python or the right Scrubby.

The size of your snake is perfect IMO!
    Last edited by Gio; 08-22-2016 at 10:26 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

o.r hill (08-23-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

My Kalatoa is an absolute joy. Definitely keeps me on my toes when she thinks she's being fed, but hook training from day one has kept that under control so far. Turns right off as soon as a hook is on her. Her metabolism is something to be contended with for sure. Gotta clean up after her numerous times a week but she's still awesome in spite of that. Incredibly curious, active, growing like a weed. Haven't weighed her in a couple weeks but I'd imagine she's around 550grams at least now and close to 4 ish feet. She really took off as soon as she was switched from mice to rats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast