Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,890

0 members and 2,890 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 85 of 106 FirstFirst ... 35757677787980818283848586878889909192939495 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    Hi Jm,
    I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a bad time with this beloved snake of yours. That really sucks! Fortunately, I haven't ever had this problem with either of my SDs yet (knock on wood!), but from what I understand it's a fairly common issue with Retics. I'm sure you've already experimented with everything regarding cage size, temperatures, humidity, prey size and feeding schedules, yeah? And, as has already been mentioned, the desire to breed can also cause them to push, but she shouldn't be sexually mature for 2 - 3 more years, should she? My male is definitely extremely active (and destructive) in his enclosure. I can't keep his tub dry (he's still in a 41 qt. rack), because for some reason the little stinker insists on keeping it soak and wet with the water from his water dish. From what I understand, cage destruction is also pretty common with Retics. Since Retics are such energetic, inquisitive and intelligent animals I have to wonder if it couldn't simply be boredom/desire to be handled that might cause them to push and/or destroy their cages? My boy especially is very sociable and LOVES being out and being handled! How often do you take your girl out and for how long?

I would highly recommend contacting Garrett Hartle of Reach Out Reptiles here in Pittsburgh. He specializes in SD Retics (exclusively) and seems to be one of the authorities on them these days. He's very friendly and helpful and i'm sure he would be happy to share his experience with you.

With regards to building your new enclosures, i'm curious why you wouldn't want to use PVC board instead of birch?
    I know this is a very long thread, but if you read back through it you’ll find the answers to every single question you just asked about. I’ve tried it all. For almost two years now. Not trying to be rude, I’ve just explored all of those issues in exhausting detail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 07-08-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks

Re: Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

On a lighter note I like the perches you have mounted in her cage. Look like treated dock poles almost. Did I miss the info on those and how you have them mounted? Would like to steal that for my olives if you don't mind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 350z View Post
    On a lighter note I like the perches you have mounted in her cage. Look like treated dock poles almost. Did I miss the info on those and how you have them mounted? Would like to steal that for my olives if you don't mind.
    They’re stakes for keeping trees growing upright. Got them at Lowe’s. Mounted in the cage using 90 degree corner brackets. I stole the idea from Gio on here

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I know this is a very long thread, but if you read back through it you’ll find the answers to every single question you just asked about. I’ve tried it all. For almost two years now. Not trying to be rude, I’ve just explored all of those issues in exhausting detail

You've already contacted Garrett Hartle and asked him for advice? You just mentioned a couple posts ago about the possibility of putting a male in with her, but it's my understanding that female SD Retics aren't sexually mature until 4 - 5 years of age... You also just mentioned building her a new enclosure out of birch a couple of posts ago... Those were my only questions...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    You've already contacted Garrett Hartle and asked him for advice? You just mentioned a couple posts ago about the possibility of putting a male in with her, but it's my understanding that female SD Retics aren't sexually mature until 4 - 5 years of age... You also just mentioned building her a new enclosure out of birch a couple of posts ago... Those were my only questions...
    Yeah I’ve talked to Garrett twice. He just said lower temps and don’t feed her for 2-3 weeks. When I said she’d tear her face off after not eating for that long he basically just said “huh, weird”.
    Female retics are generally mature around 3 years or so. Garrett just prefers to wait until 4-5 years.
    I also mentioned that I did want to use pvc for a big cage but that Lowe’s only has 3/8” thick sheets. Not a lot of support for an 8’ build. We’ll see though. Not sure I want to invest $4-500 in a cage that very well might not solve the issues here. I’d just assume rehome the damn snake at that point. I’ve already spent thousands of dollars trying to make her happy with no luck

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    You know man, I hate to say it as i like my all my snakes a lot too but it might be time to cut Phyllis loose. I mean you have tried everything under the sun with no improvement other than keeping her in a food coma which isnt going to be good for her.

I personally dont think a bigger cage is going to do it and spending all the cash to build one and find out it didnt work is REALLY going to be aggravating. It might be Phyllis doesnt like AP cages as that is the only thing left but personally i cant see that being it.

I honestly have run out of ideas to offer. Maybe look for a smaller cage from a different manufacturer for cheap on CL or something and try that. If it works, then maybe build the monster cage and resell the smaller one from CL or give it to the boa.

Sorry for all the problems. I know what it likes when Caesar was going crazy during breeding season and pushing his face into hamburger
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-08-2018)

Thanks
    To bad they don't make anti anxiety pills for snakes, or maybe you need them by now, been reading your post but since I have no usefull comment I just kept quite, but wanted to tell you that you and Phyllis are in my prayers whatever you choice is please take comfort in knowing you did a fabulous job raising her and did far more and tolerated more than anyone , you can only do what you can do. ~Healing hugs from across the miles ~
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

10. The Following User Says Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (07-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    You know man, I hate to say it as i like my all my snakes a lot too but it might be time to cut Phyllis loose. I mean you have tried everything under the sun with no improvement other than keeping her in a food coma which isnt going to be good for her.

I personally dont think a bigger cage is going to do it and spending all the cash to build one and find out it didnt work is REALLY going to be aggravating. It might be Phyllis doesnt like AP cages as that is the only thing left but personally i cant see that being it.

I honestly have run out of ideas to offer. Maybe look for a smaller cage from a different manufacturer for cheap on CL or something and try that. If it works, then maybe build the monster cage and resell the smaller one from CL or give it to the boa.

Sorry for all the problems. I know what it likes when Caesar was going crazy during breeding season and pushing his face into hamburger
    I’m honestly thinking the same thing. It’s just going to be such a hard decision to make and hard to actually sell her as well. I’m not FedEx Reptile certified and she’s too big for Ship Your Reptiles. But yeah, neither of us can keep this up. It’s just not good for me or this snake. It makes me sad that I can’t help her.
    We’ll see if I can get her in at either of these vets I left a message with. Maybe there’s something wrong inside her face but I don’t think that’s the issue. She’s been like this since October 2016, as soon as I took the divider out of her T8 she’s pushed almost constantly unless in a food coma.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I’m honestly thinking the same thing. It’s just going to be such a hard decision to make and hard to actually sell her as well. I’m not FedEx Reptile certified and she’s too big for Ship Your Reptiles. But yeah, neither of us can keep this up. It’s just not good for me or this snake. It makes me sad that I can’t help her.
    We’ll see if I can get her in at either of these vets I left a message with. Maybe there’s something wrong inside her face but I don’t think that’s the issue. She’s been like this since October 2016, as soon as I took the divider out of her T8 she’s pushed almost constantly unless in a food coma.

I hear ya. I re homed Rango a couple weeks ago and it was sad seeing him go. Just do local only sales. Thats what i did through the local reptile FB page. Takes longer but will save you the headache of trying to Delta Dash Phyllis as i dont think FedEx is going to take that big of snake.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I hear ya. I re homed Rango a couple weeks ago and it was sad seeing him go. Just do local only sales. Thats what i did through the local reptile FB page. Takes longer but will save you the headache of trying to Delta Dash Phyllis as i dont think FedEx is going to take that big of snake.
    Yeah ship your reptiles has a max size of 8’ or 4” in diameter. Phyllis is definitely too long and probably bigger than 4” diameter too.
    It would be the saddest thing ever to get rid of her. But I don’t know if it’s sadder to see her smash her face up here. Her face looks like crap. That will also complicate trying to sell her. I’m just so bummed right now

Page 85 of 106 FirstFirst ... 35757677787980818283848586878889909192939495 ... LastLast