Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

1 members and 2,847 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 8 of 106 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Aww poor girl. How the heck did she get a puncture under her chin in an AP cage? They are all smooth which is the reason I love them. And guess I can count my blessing right now as my boy in shed so he is quiet now. Last night he curled up pretty much in my armpit while I laid there watching tv lol. And today he curled up between my arm and my stomach while watching tv. He is such a mellow man...for right now lol. I'm sure after shed he will turn into an eating monster again. Anyways, I put a little polysporin on that just in case.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (10-21-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Aww poor girl. How the heck did she get a puncture under her chin in an AP cage? They are all smooth which is the reason I love them. And guess I can count my blessing right now as my boy in shed so he is quiet now. Last night he curled up pretty much in my armpit while I laid there watching tv lol. And today he curled up between my arm and my stomach while watching tv. He is such a mellow man...for right now lol. I'm sure after shed he will turn into an eating monster again. Anyways, I put a little polysporin on that just in case.
    Not really sure how she managed that. When she pushes she's pretty assertive about it though. More of a scrape than a puncture. I imagine putting anything on her facial area is going to be quite the rodeo haha! Polysporin/neosporin you think? I had read somewhere on here to use betadine but I thought I'd keep an eye on it for a day or two and see how it looks before I stress her out trying to restrain her head to apply ointments. Already a bit better than yesterday, but she also just fed so that may have calmed her down a little with the pushing. She sometimes smashes her face in between the glass and the lip along the floor of the cage which is one of my first guesses as to how she got those abrasions.

That mainland blood must be keeping yours a bit more chill. My girl never sits still. Getting a non blurry photo of her is a pretty significant accomplishment.

Edit: managed to get some polysporin on those scrapes with a q-tip and minimal stress or struggle. Gonna keep an eye on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 10-21-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks
    Nice. Ah yeah that makes sense. My gals try and wedge their heads between the gap on the front too sometimes lol. Yeah polysporin, just once though as it doesn't look bad, just a one time application for precaution. And yeah that might be true about the mainland blood. My guy is pretty laid back but he's also in shed. Before shed, he would cruise around the cage at night but most of the time he liked to perch on the shelf in his cage and just look out the front lol. He also likes to sit with his face perched on the water dish and last night he dropped a nice urate in the water dish lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (10-21-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    So far so good here with the 18% mainland in mine. I've only had 1 day of real defensiveness. I was handling too early after feeding. My guy does settle but moves quite a bit when out. I had a great session 2 nights ago. In the cage he actually enjoys his hides which is OK. A 40 gallon Critter Cage is the upper size limit for him right now.

I'm sure your SD girl is a little more busy, but then again as a species these are very different snakes from the boas and other pythons I've had. They are almost like a big colubrid.

I'm sure you'll get her healed up fast. Pushing is a pain in the butt, ALL of my snakes sans the royal and little retic are doing it right now.

Winter temp drop for the boa is coming soon.

Does your girl have some climbing options? Maybe revamping the cage will throw her a curve and keep the pushing down, at least for a while.
    Last edited by Gio; 10-22-2016 at 08:54 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (10-22-2016)

Thanks

Re: Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

I recently expanded her from half of a divided T8 into the full cage with bigger branches to climb around on and she totally tossed the entire space the first couple nights. She's calmed down a little bit she's been in the full enclosure for about a month now. She probably will need a larger space eventually as she seems that she'll reach the larger end of the SD spectrum. Maybe a 4x2x1.5 or 4x2x2 when she's grown up.

Thanks

Recent portrait of Phyllis that is started working on last night. This is the preliminary sketch for a more technically involved copper etched/engraved limited edition print I'm getting started this week (I'm an artist and teach printmaking at the University of Missouri-Columbia) I'll post in the for sale forum once it's done, and will be donating at least half of the proceeds to USARK once I get an idea if anyone/how many folks may or may not be interested and I can get an idea of how large of an edition to print. Please keep sales discussions to PM it until I post it in the appropriate forum. Thanks!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

AlyssaLu (10-25-2016),Fraido (10-25-2016),Gio (10-28-2016),MR Snakes (12-13-2018),RickyNY (05-06-2018)

Thanks
    Nice drawing and i'm sure Gio and I will be paying the price later when our guys want women. Ours will probably be tearing apart the cages where as your girl will be nice and calm lol.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (10-28-2016),jmcrook (10-25-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Nice drawing and i'm sure Gio and I will be paying the price later when our guys want women. Ours will probably be tearing apart the cages where as your girl will be nice and calm lol.
    Thanks Sauzo! Hard to tell at the moment but you and Gio's guys may be calmer given the larger % mainland blood and deeper generations in captivity. My girl's parents were WC imports from Kalatoa so Phyllis is a 1st gen captive bred. Definitely got some of the wild side in her hahaa. I'll post pics of the progress on the copper etching plate and respective prints as they develop in the near future. Anything to help protect the right to keep such an amazing species of snake!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (10-25-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post

Basking under her RHP this morning. Been very active recently and did a good job of tossing her cage about last night. My guess is that she is speaking out about having smaller rats her last two feedings. 50g rats the last two weeks and she has taken 80-90 gram rats the two weeks before that. I trimmed her intake back slightly as she has been growing like a weed and don't want to power feed her and promote obesity but she will start to push at the cage corners if she gets too hangry. I'm giving her another 50g rat Wednesday and we'll see how the next week goes, any pushing or if she stays calm. At her growth rate she seems she will be a fairly impressive sized Kalatoa SD. She could hit 6-7 feet and start thickening up a bit or she could very well end up 9 feet. She's definitely not going to be a giant but a 7, 8, 9 foot snake isn't what I'd consider small either. I'm guessing 6' by her first b-day but we'll see...

Mines about the same size. The parents were 6 feet, but were wild caught. Glad to see mine isn't the only crazy growing super dwarf out there. I'd be happy if she stopped at 8, but we will see.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yodawagon For This Useful Post:

Gio (10-28-2016),jmcrook (10-28-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yodawagon View Post
    Mines about the same size. The parents were 6 feet, but were wild caught. Glad to see mine isn't the only crazy growing super dwarf out there. I'd be happy if she stopped at 8, but we will see.
    Yeah dad was 5' mom was 6', I think imported in 2013? Likewise, 8' for our girls would be nice but I won't be surprised if either of them reach 9' at this rate

Page 8 of 106 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast