Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

0 members and 3,386 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 56 of 106 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I personally think it may be Gerald as that is really the only thing left. I dont think the height or perches would make a difference. I mean it could but you see so many people keeping these huge retics in little cages and they do fine. And some people actually say putting them in bigger cages can make them push more or start pushing. I have Caesar in the same size cage with a shelf and all and like i said, he has mellowed out on pushing BIG time. I did catch him pushing a little a few nights ago but that was close to dinner time. Now I'm not sure if you have a shelf, i thought you did. Caesar does spend a decent amount of time on his shelf.
    I’m thinking the same thing. I may move his cage to my bedroom and see if anything changes with Phyllis’s behavior. I’m moving in a few weeks though so I don’t really feel like moving cages around and then having to move it all again in a few weeks.
    And yeah, Phyllis has a shelf. She doesn’t really spend much time on it anymore though. Once she passed ~14-15lbs she only kinda peeks around up there or rests half a coil on it lol. Doesn’t really sit up there at all anymore. I’ve been tempted to ditch the shelf and give her a big branch or something, might give her a little bit more stimulation in her environment? Or maybe a perch or two instead of the shelf? She might cruise over those more than using the shelf... just spitballing ideas over here hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 05-07-2018 at 02:46 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I’m thinking the same thing. I may move his cage to my bedroom and see if anything changes with Phyllis’s behavior. I’m moving in a few weeks though so I don’t really feel like moving cages around and then having to move it all again in a few weeks.
    And yeah, Phyllis has a shelf. She doesn’t really spend much time on it anymore though. Once she passed ~14-15lbs she only kinda peeks around up there or rests half a coil on it lol. Doesn’t really sit up there at all anymore. I’ve been tempted to ditch the shelf and give her a big branch or something, might give her a little bit more stimulation in her environment? Or maybe a perch or two instead of the shelf? She might cruise over those more than using the shelf... just spitballing ideas over here hahah

Guess with a try if you dont mind drilling holes in your cage. Nit like you have much to lose anymore.

And if you are looking for a place that does reptile perches, a guy i talk to a lot on the GTP forums gave me this place. They will even mount hardware to the branches i guess too. It's nice Manzanita wood.

http://manzanita.com/
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts

No matter what her size is she still looks beautiful. It's pretty amazing to go back to page 1 of this thread and see how tiny she once was.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Guess with a try if you dont mind drilling holes in your cage. Nit like you have much to lose anymore.

And if you are looking for a place that does reptile perches, a guy i talk to a lot on the GTP forums gave me this place. They will even mount hardware to the branches i guess too. It's nice Manzanita wood.

http://manzanita.com/
    I mean I’m not real wild about putting too many more holes in the cage but it wouldn’t be a real eyesore either. Those perches look awesome but I’d probably just do hardware brackets and a couple fence post lengths like Gio did so I could pop them in and out real easily. Also looks like the biggest perches that manzanita place has are 60”. Probably could do a custom ~72” piece but man I bet that ain’t cheap hahah. And with my luck she’d paint poo all over that beautiful piece of wood too

Last edited by jmcrook; 05-07-2018 at 09:16 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (05-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    No matter what her size is she still looks beautiful. It's pretty amazing to go back to page 1 of this thread and see how tiny she once was.
    Thanks you 67temp! It really is crazy to look back and know that’s the same animal that used to fit in the palm of my hand. Never seen anything grow as tremendously as this snake has in the last two years

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

I am truly impressed at how fast they grow for sure. That's why it's so important to build a relationship and remember that relationships are always changing and can change in a second. I guess relationships are wrong word more like tolerance level. By the way Caesars sounds amazing
    Thanks you 67temp! It really is crazy to look back and know that’s the same animal that used to fit in the palm of my hand. Never seen anything grow as tremendously as this snake has in the last two years

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

I hear you on spending more $$. I really don't think a shelf is the same as a few perches though. A shelf is pretty much the same as your cage, but cut in half or quartered. Wallace is probably a 7 footer give or take and he's always perched at night and in the mornings. He can hang down between the perches, wrap around them or zig zag between them. The dwarf/SD populations are said to be a bit more arboreal. Mounting perches won't be an issue and a few holes in plastic won't ruin your cage.

Your girl doesn't seem to be overfed so I'd expect her to be active. Many folks have luck keeping them in small cages with no stimulation. I guess that's up to the keeper. I prefer more stimulation over just throwing rabbits into a cage and then seeing my snake curled up in the same position every day. Your girl is at a wonderful size if she tops off. I guess the gamble with any retic is the potential for extremes.

Another option you could try that doesn't require cage modification is to let her climb on a ladder when you have her out.

I don't remember the dimensions of your cage. Is it under 2 feet tall?

Try the ladder trick if you have one and see if she will climb around and get some energy out. I really want to see her do well. Also, out of curiosity, is SHE 100% a she? I would think so based on size, but maybe if she is a he, Gerald might be causing a bother.

Keep us posted, I know you'll get it figured out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I hear you on spending more $$. I really don't think a shelf is the same as a few perches though. A shelf is pretty much the same as your cage, but cut in half or quartered. Wallace is probably a 7 footer give or take and he's always perched at night and in the mornings. He can hang down between the perches, wrap around them or zig zag between them. The dwarf/SD populations are said to be a bit more arboreal. Mounting perches won't be an issue and a few holes in plastic won't ruin your cage.

Your girl doesn't seem to be overfed so I'd expect her to be active. Many folks have luck keeping them in small cages with no stimulation. I guess that's up to the keeper. I prefer more stimulation over just throwing rabbits into a cage and then seeing my snake curled up in the same position every day. Your girl is at a wonderful size if she tops off. I guess the gamble with any retic is the potential for extremes.

Another option you could try that doesn't require cage modification is to let her climb on a ladder when you have her out.

I don't remember the dimensions of your cage. Is it under 2 feet tall?

Try the ladder trick if you have one and see if she will climb around and get some energy out. I really want to see her do well. Also, out of curiosity, is SHE 100% a she? I would think so based on size, but maybe if she is a he, Gerald might be causing a bother.

Keep us posted, I know you'll get it figured out.
    I don’t have a ladder otherwise I’d let her try it out. She will climb to the top of the cage stacks when she’s out cruising the room though and they’re between 5.5-6’ tall total. Even if I give her run of the snake room for a couple hours she’s back to pushing as soon as she’s in the cage again...
    I agree, shelf isn’t the same as perches. I may go pick up some fence posts and brackets and set a couple up and ditch her shelf. And she’s in a T25 72”x30”x18”tall. Two feet tall would be nice but just wasn’t in the cards when I ordered the cage (that took six months to arrive).
    I can’t say 100% that she’s indeed a she but I’d be VERY surprised to find out otherwise. If she is a male then she’s borderline mainland male size. I’ve heard that sometimes females will push during breeding season as well but not as much as males.
    For the time being I’m gonna keep her stuffed with rats and see how she does. I wonder if the seasonal changes are telling her to go into feast mode during summer in preparation for famine season in the winter. She got really bad like this last year about the same time too and stuffing her like a thanksgiving turkey helped out some. Problem is this time to stuff her the same way would take a 3-4lb rabbit and I can’t find rabbits around me for reasonable prices

Last edited by jmcrook; 05-07-2018 at 10:21 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-07-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

I'm really sorry to hear about the continued pushing issues.

I can’t say 100% that she’s indeed a she but I’d be VERY surprised to find out otherwise. If she is a male then she’s borderline mainland male size.
    Mainland males get a lot larger than 10'
    I suspect you got a girl on the big side of things. Hopefully, as other have said, she's topping out now. She looks great and you provide a wonderful home for her.

For rabbits, have you tried finding a rabbit breeder? There are pet and meat rabbit breeders. I know some pet/fancy rabbit breeders are willing to sell culls. It's frustrating to find a good source that's for sure.
    For the Horde!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    I'm really sorry to hear about the continued pushing issues.

Mainland males get a lot larger than 10'
    I suspect you got a girl on the big side of things. Hopefully, as other have said, she's topping out now. She looks great and you provide a wonderful home for her.

For rabbits, have you tried finding a rabbit breeder? There are pet and meat rabbit breeders. I know some pet/fancy rabbit breeders are willing to sell culls. It's frustrating to find a good source that's for sure.
    Hahah I know mainland males can get much bigger, but at 2yrs she’s probably about as big as a 2yr old mainland male give or take.
    I haven’t contacted anyone about rabbits but can’t find many breeders near me, which I find odd. But I am in the middle of nowhere Mississippi. Once I hear back about a job interview and know whether or not I’ll be here through the summer I want to get in contact with Matthew Martin at monster feeders because he does rabbits and piglets for $2/lb and a 65lb box of frozen feeders for like $160 or something like that

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-07-2018)

Page 56 of 106 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast