Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,469

1 members and 2,468 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 44 of 106 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494 ... LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    We have one dwarf baby left, she was in a tub for the first year+ but then I moved her into a plexi front opening enclosure thinking she'd like it and she started pushing like crazy. I even upped her food size but she pushed and pushed causing swelling on the gum. I moved her back into a tub and she's stopped pushing. Sometimes it's the cage and not food that drives it. Some retics get that little breath of a crack of air and just go nuts. Have you possibly tried covering the bottom 1/3 or 1/2 of the glass with some paper just to see if that reduces it at all? Just a thought. It does sound like yours is a food pusher, I just wanted to mention other possible factors to see if the pushing can in any way be eliminated. I hate seeing their beautiful faces getting all smashed up, silly snakes! Don't hurt the pretty!
    For the Horde!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    We have one dwarf baby left, she was in a tub for the first year+ but then I moved her into a plexi front opening enclosure thinking she'd like it and she started pushing like crazy. I even upped her food size but she pushed and pushed causing swelling on the gum. I moved her back into a tub and she's stopped pushing. Sometimes it's the cage and not food that drives it. Some retics get that little breath of a crack of air and just go nuts. Have you possibly tried covering the bottom 1/3 or 1/2 of the glass with some paper just to see if that reduces it at all? Just a thought. It does sound like yours is a food pusher, I just wanted to mention other possible factors to see if the pushing can in any way be eliminated. I hate seeing their beautiful faces getting all smashed up, silly snakes! Don't hurt the pretty!
    That really could be a good solution. She had never pushed until I took the divider out of her T8 last September/October of 2016. She had been in the side with door on the inner track and didn't have as much of an air gap as the other side. I'll try covering the front and see if that helps. She'll still have that small gap of fresh air between the doors at the center so we'll see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Phyllis is currently in shed right after having eaten her first guinea pig and is so fat and miserable looking right now... Just wanted to share hah

Thanks

This picture more accurately represents how miserable this animal is when she's in shed lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Well, psycho McPushface apparently cannot go more than 6-7 days without destroying her face and everything in her cage.
    disturbing the amount of force she puts into it.
    So tonight she took her first 4xl guinea pig. 725 grams. We'll see if she goes longer than a week on this. I have a sneaking suspicion that she'll go into shed soon so that could throw off my observations/trial period on her biggest meal. Took it down no problem though.

Now go to sleep for at least a week and quit smashing your face!

Wow that face.. . Gene has become a pusher, he makes it to day 5 before he starts to push at the bottom of his enclosure. Weird because with his nose the floor his body is a good 7" up and just shakes with force. I'll tap him with the paper towel roll and crack the door. He stops and rests his head. But it's strictly a food push.

I'd love for us all to take a picture of our snakes again against a common product for size comparisons. Gene just hit 8', my apartmwnt kitchen is exactly 8' and his tail still hit the carpet. He has gained substantial girth too. Last time I weighed him he was at 11.1 lbs.

On a different note Gene pissed on yet another thermometer and broke it. So I bought a small one today and put a small amount of Velcro on it to stick it to his skyhide. I am not one to put tape on or in his enclosure but he can't reach this so I think we'll be ok.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Tina - 0.1 Pastel Ball Python
    Gene - 1.0 Platinum Dwarf Retic

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stearns84 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-21-2017)

Thanks

Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

Quote Originally Posted by Stearns84 View Post
    Wow that face.. . Gene has become a pusher, he makes it to day 5 before he starts to push at the bottom of his enclosure. Weird because with his nose the floor his body is a good 7" up and just shakes with force. I'll tap him with the paper towel roll and crack the door. He stops and rests his head. But it's strictly a food push.

I'd love for us all to take a picture of our snakes again against a common product for size comparisons. Gene just hit 8', my apartmwnt kitchen is exactly 8' and his tail still hit the carpet. He has gained substantial girth too. Last time I weighed him he was at 11.1 lbs.

On a different note Gene pissed on yet another thermometer and broke it. So I bought a small one today and put a small amount of Velcro on it to stick it to his skyhide. I am not one to put tape on or in his enclosure but he can't reach this so I think we'll be ok.

Sounds exactly like how Phyllis pushes. It's really almost disturbing at times to see the force she puts into it .
    I think I've got pics of Phyllis next to or under an RBI xl hide on here. She just got her jumbo hides the other day and is sleeping next to them rather than in them... 🤷
    I'm not one for tape in a cage either but 3M makes some seriously intense Velcro with adhesive backing that I can barely peel of the cage walls, and I've got finger nails and putty knives to work with hah! They've held up to high humidity and warm temps in all my cages for over a year and a half with absolutely zero issue. I've got them installed just above the cage floor or shelf in Phyllis's cage and have yet to have one pissed on. I keep the unit on the cool side and have the probes fed through a hole drilled in the vents and keep the probed end on the warm side.

Last edited by jmcrook; 12-21-2017 at 12:27 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Just had to say that this is one of my favorite threads on this site. Phyllis is awesome.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dxw425 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-21-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dxw425 View Post
    Just had to say that this is one of my favorite threads on this site. Phyllis is awesome.
    Thanks so much!

Thanks
    wow! That's probably the most adorable snake I've seen. How awesome. <3

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mama_arty For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-21-2017)

Thanks

Any update?

Tina - 0.1 Pastel Ball Python
    Gene - 1.0 Platinum Dwarf Retic

Page 44 of 106 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494 ... LastLast