Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,255

2 members and 3,253 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 30 of 106 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394080 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

Jmcrook - how's Phyllis face and pushing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Tina - 0.1 Pastel Ball Python
    Gene - 1.0 Platinum Dwarf Retic

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stearns84 View Post
    Jmcrook - how's Phyllis face and pushing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    No pushing the last couple days since she ate, but still a good bit of swelling on her top lip/nose area. No signs of infection but it still worries me a bit. May schedule a vet appointment if it gets worse. Hopefully it goes down a bit over the next few days or a week at most.

Any other retic keepers care to weigh in on how her face looks? First time dealing with swollen face from pushing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    No pushing the last couple days since she ate, but still a good bit of swelling on her top lip/nose area. No signs of infection but it still worries me a bit. May schedule a vet appointment if it gets worse. Hopefully it goes down a bit over the next few days or a week at most.

Any other retic keepers care to weigh in on how her face looks? First time dealing with swollen face from pushing

Hey looks OK.

I haven't had a single pushing issue,,,,,, YET,,,, I really think perches and cage height help. It may not be the final solution with large retics, but I'm pretty certain multiple options will help.

There are other things to provide/use, such as a half full water bottle that the snake can move around.

I'm certainly as new a keeper as you are but looking at the wild habits and biology of the species, I'm convinced they will not only use, but "enjoy" as much as a reptile can, the opportunity to perch and coil. I think perches provide a little different option than a shelf.

Unless we all hit the jackpot and win the lottery, I'm guessing we'll all be limited with our housing potential.

I am going 24" tall. I debated, and really wanted the AP cage to make it happen but the price to do it was just not in the cards.

I think you can still make it happen with an 18" tall AP and maybe look into sky hides.

Your SD has more arboreal potential than a female mainland, but even the mainland will perch.

If your temps are on the upper end of the "acceptable range" you could look at putting them at the lower acceptable end of the range and see if the pushing stops.

I really have not had any issues with Wallace being overly hungry or pushy. At least to this point. He has become more active the last week and I do see him facing me when I'm at the cage door but still no striking or pushing.

You've got a beauty there and I hope to see her thrive in years to come. As in the next 20 to 30!
    Last edited by Gio; 05-16-2017 at 11:07 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I'd watch it and see if it gets worse like you said. Luckily when Caesar does push, he tends to just shove his head in between the door and litter dam so he only gets the scrapes on the bottom of his chin. He ate a large rat yesterday and good god, i fed Rosey and Vicky and almost got tagged by Vicky. She shot out of the cage and almost got me lol as i was reaching for a sheet of printer paper. But anyways, Caesar must have smelled the rats as he came out of his hide and was staring down as i was feeding Vicky lol. I am floored at the feeding response and 'want' of food from retics. I mean the boas LOVE food too but Caesar takes it to the next level. Heck even Gina and Rango were 'levitating' off the floor of the cage and swaying back and forth cocked and ready to rock haha. The only one who didnt want food was Dottie. She hasnt eaten in just over 3 months.

But like i said, that sucks that Phyllis did that. Was she smashing her face directly into the glass doors? And like Gio said, maybe lower the temps if they are on the high end. I keep Caesar's ambient cage temp around 79-81F depending on the rooms temp and his flexwatt is set for a 90F hot spot.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 05-16-2017 at 11:48 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    I'd watch it and see if it gets worse like you said. Luckily when Caesar does push, he tends to just shove his head in between the door and litter dam so he only gets the scrapes on the bottom of his chin. He ate a large rat yesterday and good god, i fed Rosey and Vicky and almost got tagged by Vicky. She shot out of the cage and almost got me lol as i was reaching for a sheet of printer paper. But anyways, Caesar must have smelled the rats as he came out of his hide and was staring down as i was feeding Vicky lol. I am floored at the feeding response and 'want' of food from retics. I mean the boas LOVE food too but Caesar takes it to the next level. Heck even Gina and Rango were 'levitating' off the floor of the cage and swaying back and forth cocked and ready to rock haha. The only one who didnt want food was Dottie. She hasnt eaten in just over 3 months.

But like i said, that sucks that Phyllis did that. Was she smashing her face directly into the glass doors? And like Gio said, maybe lower the temps if they are on the high end. I keep Caesar's ambient cage temp around 79-81F depending on the rooms temp and his flexwatt is set for a 90F hot spot. Height might help but i got Caesar in a T10 with 15" height and a shelf and honestly, Caesar doesnt use the shelf too much anymore. He used it a lot as a baby. Do you have a cool and warm hide? I notice Caesar likes to sleep in one or the other during the day and then at night, he will sit on top of one.

Thanks

Yeah she smashes her face into the glass st the center support of the front of the cage. Literally puts all of her weight and strength into it. It's borderline disturbing at times. Her temps are spot on, 77-80 cool side, about 88 warm side where she usually hangs out. I had offered two hides until recently because she had never used the cool side hide. She'll have two once she in her bigger cage but for now she wouldn't have any floor space if she had two hides that she can actually fit in. Heck, she's about outgrown her bigger one that I made a few months ago. It's about the size of a large RBI hide. I guess I'm just going to keep her in a food coma until the new cage is done , otherwise I'm afraid she'll really do some damage to her face

Thanks
    Is Phyllis' face looking better?

Also not sure if it will work with Phyllis but when Caesar pushes, if i slide a door open and leave it about halfway open, Caesar will sit with his face hanging out and looking at stuff or resting on the litter dam. Sometimes though it doesnt work the best and Caesar will try and climb on top of the cage stack or look inside Vicky's cage lol. But most of the time, it quiets him down and after a while he will go inside a hide and sleep.

Thanks

Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Is Phyllis' face looking better?

Also not sure if it will work with Phyllis but when Caesar pushes, if i slide a door open and leave it about halfway open, Caesar will sit with his face hanging out and looking at stuff or resting on the litter dam. Sometimes though it doesnt work the best and Caesar will try and climb on top of the cage stack or look inside Vicky's cage lol. But most of the time, it quiets him down and after a while he will go inside a hide and sleep.
    It looked a bit better last I checked. She's in shed so I haven't seen her in a couple days lol. She shacks up really tight in her hide and doesn't budge until it's time to actually shed.
    The thing is she'll push all night while I'm asleep so I can't really leave he door open hahah. If I catch her during the day I'll get her out and let her explore and burn off some energy. I've tried the door half open approach a couple times but she just crawls out and tries to get on top of or behind the cages and gets all tangled up in anything she can find. My flat files are right next to the cages and that's about the last place that I want her to go exploring and get stuck inside. That would be an absolute nightmare

Last edited by jmcrook; 05-20-2017 at 12:05 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Stearns84 (05-20-2017)

Thanks

Update on Queen Phyllis. Her lip looks totally normal now that she's been calm and quiet in her shed cycle. I think she'll likely shed at some point today or tonight. Here she is poking her head out after I sprayed down her cage a bit.

I'm leaving for 6 days on Saturday morning so I'm hesitant to feed before I leave because I don't want her laying in a bunch of piss and poo starting three or so days after eating, that's her usual bathroom cycle.. but I feel like she's going to push like crazy after she sheds and hasn't eaten in two weeks. I generally try not to feed starting 5 days before I leave for a trip. What would any of you all do in this case?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-25-2017)

Thanks

Her highness shed last night and looks incredible. Gave me an unbroken 8'+ shed!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-25-2017),MR Snakes (12-13-2018),Sauzo (05-25-2017),Stearns84 (07-10-2017)

Page 30 of 106 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394080 ... LastLast