Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,954

1 members and 2,953 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 106 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Lol do what I did and get both haha.
    If I got the Carpet this weekend the retic would still definitely be on my list, it would just wait a couple of months.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RamMac For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (10-11-2016),Sauzo (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

An idea of what to expect when trying to photograph a squirrelly 5' SD by yourself. So much personality and activity and I don't think I'd trade her for the world. You two are both in for a treat. Even at 5' she's got the looks and personality of a true retic but with the physique of a corn snake or similar colubrid. Faster more calculating movements though. They really do look you in the eyes when you work with them. Super interactive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Reinz (10-12-2016),Sauzo (10-12-2016)

Thanks

Well I remember right, Cody said the dwarf blood can still produce sizeable animals. Probably the only way to really come as close as possible to a guarantee if a smaller animal is go pure SD male and feed conservatively. I'm not too concerned personally as long as my retic doesn't end up being 15'+ and have a bad attitude. I got a 6-7' female boa that is thicker than a pop can and she is a giant puppy, a heavy puppy but I can reach in and grab her or do anything and she doesn't even care. I even grab her face and wipe it down with wet paper towels when she decides to body/face paint her cage with poop or urate lol. For me, I'm more afraid of the snake with an unpredictable personality than a large snake with a laid back personality.
    Your retic will be definitely faster but still predictable to a certain extent once you learn to read it's body language. Mine is very fast and sometimes a bit flighty getting her out but she's not shy to let me know if she's in a foul mood. Only been tagged once (see previous posts) but even then she was trying to tell me she wasn't feeling it that day. Too bad for her I had to clean her cage and I'm not about to let her wallow in her own waste haha

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    I've heard retics will give a number of indicators that they are not into you before they bite. At least in general.

My boa is great, but boas are very different and don't let on as well IMO when they are going to snap.

They are very stealthy and of all of my snakes, I'm still most cautious with the BC.

My carpet on the other hand is like a person. "Oh HI,,,,, shall I come out and have a spin around?"

She's great and I have done things that should cause her to bite and she just won't.

My new retic and I are still learning each other.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I've heard retics will give a number of indicators that they are not into you before they bite. At least in general.

My boa is great, but boas are very different and don't let on as well IMO when they are going to snap.

They are very stealthy and of all of my snakes, I'm still most cautious with the BC.

My carpet on the other hand is like a person. "Oh HI,,,,, shall I come out and have a spin around?"

She's great and I have done things that should cause her to bite and she just won't.

My new retic and I are still learning each other.
    Haha see it's opposite with me. Both my boas wouldn't bite me unless I actually hurt them. Even when they are cranky, they don't hiss or anything, just go inside their hide and sit in there lol. The JCP is different. If she is cranky, she will hiss loud and she does look me in the face which sometimes makes me feel awkward lol. I give the JCP respect but my boas are like my kids where I can pick them up, toss them around and grab them however and they just sit there and take it. From my snakes, it seems my pythons have moods where as the boas are pretty much even keeled and up for whatever. So, i'm figuring i'll be treating the retic the same as I do my carpet. Nice and slow and not grab them or sling them over my shoulder and go outside and do whatever like I do with the boas. Heck, sometimes late at night, ill hop in bed, turn on the tv and let a boa hang out with me. The JCP really only seems to like to sit on my shoulders and watch stuff, not much into relaxing on the bed and watching tv lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (10-12-2016)

Thanks

Haha see it's opposite with me. Both my boas wouldn't bite me unless I actually hurt them. Even when they are cranky, they don't hiss or anything, just go inside their hide and sit in there lol. The JCP is different. If she is cranky, she will hiss loud and she does look me in the face which sometimes makes me feel awkward lol. I give the JCP respect but my boas are like my kids where I can pick them up, toss them around and grab them however and they just sit there and take it. From my snakes, it seems my pythons have moods where as the boas are pretty much even keeled and up for whatever. So, i'm figuring i'll be treating the retic the same as I do my carpet. Nice and slow and not grab them or sling them over my shoulder and go outside and do whatever like I do with the boas. Heck, sometimes late at night, ill hop in bed, turn on the tv and let a boa hang out with me. The JCP really only seems to like to sit on my shoulders and watch stuff, not much into relaxing on the bed and watching tv lol.
    But that's my point. You are going to get indications from a snake like a retic as they are seemingly more aware and interactive. I certainly don't expect my boa to bite but he is not one to offer a lot of "signs". He tends to hang out in the S posture and if he wanted to bite I would not know it until afterwards. Out of the cage he is curious and relaxed. In cage, he is much harder to read IMO but has never shown defensive behavior he just stares and I always wonder.

I am just prepared which is better than being caught completely off guard when I go into his cage. I still use a hook but don't get me wrong I've only had 1 bite from him early on. It's a lot easier to know a bite is coming when they tell you it's coming. That was my point I think
    Last edited by Gio; 10-12-2016 at 12:21 AM.

Thanks

Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

My retic definitely needs a slow, respectful approach or she gets jumpy and twitchy. Hook training from day one has for sure been of great help in tapping her out of feeding mode when needed for cleaning and water changes. But once she's out, she's perfectly fine. Never sits still but just very curious about every bit of her surroundings. Very inquisitive little thing

Last edited by jmcrook; 10-12-2016 at 12:23 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (10-12-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    ...never shown defensive behavior he just stares and I always wonder...
    Honestly I don't reach into any enclosure, ever.. aside from ball pythons in a rack. Like, I don't even reach into a corn snake's enclosure. Lol

Maybe I just suck at noticing the signs, but every bigger snake (aside from the real giants) that I've had to work with seem to just suddenly lunge into motion if they're going to bite. It's like they're just staring, no posture or anthing, and I just won't reach in there, I just always wonder. I've seen enough snakes fly back when they're looking away to not want to grab them even when they aren't even looking at me.

I had a woma slowly come out of its bin once, I had my foot up on the bin as I was standing there talking to someone, he came up ever so slowly, rested his nose on my knee, and then just opened up! LOL

Love snakes, hate their teeth!
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

Eavlynn (10-12-2016),Gio (10-12-2016),jmcrook (10-12-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Yeah, see I reach into all my cages and just grab my snakes. Never been bit by any of them for that. The only snake I don't reach in over the top of the snake and just grab them is my JCP. Maybe after a couple years I can do that with her as well but right now, no way. I reach in but from the front and then just scoot my hand under her body and she climbs up my arm. So I guess in a way I do reach in still but not as arrogantly with her lol. I'll probably invest in a hook with the retic but we'll see. I'm probably crazy but I have never used hooks before.

And lol yeah Gio, my sunglow is great for just staring at out the front of the cage haha. When I open the door and stick my hand in, she perks up and does fast tongue flicks and when its not a rat and just my hand, you can almost see the disappointment in her as she lays back down haha. I'm pretty numb to getting bit now as when I got the JCP, she bit me probably about 6-7 times before she finally calmed down lol. I pretty much got used to her biting me when I got her, I just put my hand in there and formed a fist and let her go for it. She finally got bored of it and learned my hand wasn't going to eat her. Then it went to head butts, then mock lunges and now she just sniffs it when I shove my hand in her face but I do it slowly. I bet she would either bit or turn around quick if I rushed my hand in on her.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (10-12-2016)

Thanks

Yeah, see I reach into all my cages and just grab my snakes. Never been bit by any of them for that. The only snake I don't reach in over the top of the snake and just grab them is my JCP. Maybe after a couple years I can do that with her as well but right now, no way. I reach in but from the front and then just scoot my hand under her body and she climbs up my arm. So I guess in a way I do reach in still but not as arrogantly with her lol. I'll probably invest in a hook with the retic but we'll see. I'm probably crazy but I have never used hooks before.

And lol yeah Gio, my sunglow is great for just staring at out the front of the cage haha. When I open the door and stick my hand in, she perks up and does fast tongue flicks and when its not a rat and just my hand, you can almost see the disappointment in her as she lays back down haha. I'm pretty numb to getting bit now as when I got the JCP, she bit me probably about 6-7 times before she finally calmed down lol. I pretty much got used to her biting me when I got her, I just put my hand in there and formed a fist and let her go for it. She finally got bored of it and learned my hand wasn't going to eat her. Then it went to head butts, then mock lunges and now she just sniffs it when I shove my hand in her face but I do it slowly. I bet she would either bit or turn around quick if I rushed my hand in on her.
    Today is the day!!??

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (10-12-2016)

Page 6 of 106 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast