Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,627

0 members and 2,627 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Hello, everyone!

Hey there, just wanted to introduce myself.

My wife and I just bought a small BP last week. We have three dogs and four aquariums, but this is our first venture into the land of reptiles. We've been reading up on things as fast as we can digest the info, but still feel like complete noobs.

Now that we've started to get more familiar with the morphs, we are already thinking about our future additions haha My wife has taken a liking to spider morphs, whereas I've become smitten by yellowbellies. I'm sure all that will change before we can afford to get our next snakes haha

But we love our little BP. Our three year old son helped come up with his name, Darth Slither. We have him in a heated Rubbermaid bin based on the research we've seen so far, complete with the holes and hide. We have an extra hide and a thermostat with probe on order and they should be arriving in the next day or so.

We've been good, and have been giving the snake his space. We took him out for about five minutes last night so that we could clean up his urates and snap a couple photos, but other than that we have read to keep handling to a minimum for the first couple of weeks.

He/she is also getting fed tonight. The pet store said it has been on live mice for the two months that they had it, so I guess that's what we are going to try. I have read about the dangers of live feeding, so I would prefer frozen/thawed food, but the store said it refused dead meals.

Thanks
    Here are some photos of our little one:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Hello, everyone!

Congrats on the new little noodle! I've only had to convert one snake from live to frozen, I offered it a fresh killed mouse and it took frozen thawed from then on. What are you heating the tub with currently? Unregulated UTH can get way too hot without a thermostat if that's what you're using. Keep on devouring all the info you can find and ask all the questions you have! We're all happy to help! I've kept snakes for 20 years and never get tired of learning more about any of it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

DarthSlitherus (08-15-2016)

Thanks
    We are using a heating pad with variable temp control. I've been keeping an eye on it until the thermostat arrives (we tried finding one locally with no luck). I use the laser thermometer that I use for my fish tanks to make sure everything is ok for now, as it tells me the surface temp as opposed to ambient temps. The bottom of the bin on the basking side sits steady at 94*F at its hottest point. The snake sits at about the 90*-ish spot.

If I had known last week what I know now, I would have approached the heating source a bit differently...

Thanks

If it turns out to be a she, you should call her Rogue. Like the rogue one xD Welcome to you and your little noodle! They're amazing animals.
    1.0 Coral Glow - Jumbi

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Welcome to the site guys! you'll have to post pictures of all your lovely pets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Darth Slither is the greatest name ever!!!! Great looking BP, congratulations!!!
    Cersei - Female Pastel
    KingSlayer - Male Pastave Het. Hypo