Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,911

0 members and 1,911 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Thinking of getting a Sumatran Blood Python, advice?

So I have been wanting a blood python for a long time and I just found a baby I really like but wanted advice before I pick him up. He's a little nippy but not bad I only got tagged once and I've read that with handling they calm down. I keep finding conflicting info online about size and care info so I thought I would ask experienced keepers of what I read is correct. (1) they like cooler temps (80-85), (2) males average 4-5 feet? What is the best bedding to use? I used to have columbian red tail boas years ago but ended up getting into ball pythons instead and giving my red tails to a friend since then I've missed having a more full body snake and I have had my eyes on a blood Python. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Thanks
    Everything you've said sounds correct to me. I only have one blood python now, but for a few years I had 8 bloods and Borneos. I heated their room to 82-83°F and didn't worry about any hot spots. I just used newspaper because it was cheap and I had a lot of snakes. I've heard a lot of people like aspen chips, and seen pictures of some reputable blood python breeders using them. Cypress mulch also seems to be well-regarded.

As far as calming down when they get older, that seems to be the case for most of them. However, I had a two that never really did. One was a Borneo, and the other was a yellow blood--at one point many years ago, someone told me yellows tend to be more foul-tempered. My current blood, who I got as a baby about a year ago, is honestly the calmest snake I've ever had. She has never struck at me, and isn't even head-shy. If you go with a reputable breeder, you're likely to get a snake that was bred both for looks and temperament, and if you have a bit of snake experience they're pretty easy to keep.

Thanks
    Some of the tips in this video have worked for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y-NFmyIMJY I can't say I agree with all he says. The part about the shedding I never experienced (7 P. brongersmai & 1 P. curtus). Give it a try and good luck!