Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,473

5 members and 3,468 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Beginner Lizards?

Hello!

I've been doing research and gradually prepping for my first baby(lizard). I've looked at several different options, but I'm having trouble finding a species that fits me. I have a fifty/fifty-five gallon tank, more long/wide than tall. Since its not as tall, I'm leaving most abboreal(?) lizards out of my search. And because the enclosure will have to stay that fixed size, I've left out larger lizards.

So my list of "requirements" are that the adult size of the lizard fit comfortably in the enclosure (50/55 gallon, glass). One that can be handled or tamed easily and will just hang out with me every once and a while. Something hardy would be great. And this is a long shot- but something thats simple/easy to keep fed and happy. Won't say cheap because I don't think that "cheap" applies to any animal.

Running a search on google for "beginner" lizards generally pulls up beardies, leopard and/or crested geckos, blue tongued skinks, red ackies and occassionally iguanas. Beardies are out of the question due to size and that they demand a kind of mixed diet. I've also never felt really connected to them.

I'm leaving geckos out because I would like something that I can handle pretty regularly and hold while working at my desk or watching tv.

I'm still looking at the skinks, but I've been told by a friend with several years of personal experirence with different reptiles that skinks are brats.

I've looked briefly into the red ackies. Eventually I would like to look at them again but at the time I just don't have the space.

I know better than to pick up an baby iguana for thirty bucks at the pet store. I've met a handful of them, all different ages and sizes, and theres just...no way. No offense to anyone who cares for some, but they're just not for me.

I really had my heart set on a uromastyx until I realized that it wasn't healthy to take them out of their enclosures due to their need for high temps.

Another friend suggested a chuckwalla, but they also generally get too big and need a similar range of heat.

I was also referred to mountain horned lizards, the current option I'm researching. I like their size and chilled out demeanor, but I'm just not sure, and I've read that most are wild caught and may have trouble acclimating (my friend works at a petstore and they got some in that are battling worms). I've also noticed that theres just not a lot of information for them yet.

I'm looking for suggestions and opinions from folks that have already had lots of experience with these animals.

Thank you for your time!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slroberson11 For This Useful Post:

vix0105 (01-12-2017)

Thanks
    Savanna monitor possibly?
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

Thanks

Re: Beginner Lizards?

Savs get way too big. I may look into them when I'm more experienced and have the space. But thanks for such a fast response! I really appreciate it.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not a sav, in a 55 gallons your best bet are Bearded Dragon, Blue Tongue Skink.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    There isn't a single monitor that will do well in that size enclosure, there is no way to provide the husbandry requirements for them. What are the dimensions of this tank? There are a few questions you can ask yourself to make a decision. Do you want something that eats insects? What type of temps are you able to provide in that type of tank? Are you wanting something that is always hands on? Lizards generally require a lot more care than a snake, skinks are not "brats", however they are fairly intelligent and some of the Indo ones that come in wild caught need to be worked with to tame them down.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    There isn't a single monitor that will do well in that size enclosure, there is no way to provide the husbandry requirements for them. What are the dimensions of this tank? There are a few questions you can ask yourself to make a decision. Do you want something that eats insects? What type of temps are you able to provide in that type of tank? Are you wanting something that is always hands on? Lizards generally require a lot more care than a snake, skinks are not "brats", however they are fairly intelligent and some of the Indo ones that come in wild caught need to be worked with to tame them down.

I am in no way prepared to take on a monitor. I believe the enclosure is 4x2x2, but I won't have exact measurement until I get home with a tape measure. As for insects, my original guideline was something that didn't need live prey, as my roommates don't want them (or snakes. I originally wanted a Ball Python, but roommates put their foot down on that) in the house.

The room I would keep the animal in would be roughly 70-85 degrees room temp on a daily basis. The enclosure is glass with a screen top. I'm confident that I can keep some humidity in it, and I'll be around enough to keep an eye on things. Before I bring anything home I'll be testing the temp and humidity in the enclosure for a day or two to make sure it keeps stable temps and humidity.

I've been digging up as much as I can on Blue Tongues, and they're amazing. I'm looking at the Irian Jayas now. I'm going through the details on their lighting and humidity requirements between typing this.

Thanks
    IJs require a higher humidity than their Aussie counterparts. I keep mine with a hot spot around 100F and humidity at about 60%. My female was an import and she was a bit moody when we first got her, but after working with her quite a bit she calmed down and is now just as calm as my male. Let me know if you have any specific questions about diet, or other requirements.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

my bts was never a brat, he only puffed a bit once you grabbed him but then no worries.

other suggestions could be a uromastyx or red eyed croc skink
    I'm not your friend buddy!

Thanks
    What about a ackie monitor? No live food makes it hard. Crested gecko?

Thanks

No monitor is a beginner lizard IMO. And they need animal proteins..meaning live prey. Bearded or BTS would be a good choice. However..beardeds still need live prey. It is a must for them to grow. I believe BTS need a form of animal protein also.. Research well, and make sure you choose an critter that will fit within your limited peramiters. Honestly, there isnt many that dont require live prey of some kind to be healthy.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast