Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,743

1 members and 2,742 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Need help bearded dragons!

I disagree on the substrate. Get some slate tile if anything.

Thanks

I use the coconut fiber substrate for both of ours. Basking spot at 108 feeding Dubia roaches mostly and greens (one tank I run a uvb bar the other reptisun light is a combo heat/uvb) my 8 month old hypo Trans is about 11" and I've seen him put down 25-30 good sized Dubias in 10 minutes. You're underfeeding currently.

Our male who's 10 will eat 40 large crickets or 15-25 Dubias every other day and a pinky once a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdorpheus View Post
    I disagree on the substrate. Get some slate tile if anything.

Ahh yes the slate tile that they come across all the time in the wild. Beardies can and will burrow given the ability too. By using slate or carpet you are eliminating their ability to burrow away from the heat a hide on the cool end will only do so much. I have all my lizards on a deep bioactive substrate and would never turn back.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

As others have said, you are under feeding your dragons. They need animal proteins to grow, thus, your dragons slow growth. My dragons will eat 40 to 60 appropriate size crickets a feeding, every other day, occassionally will get fed daily. Along w their veggies.

Uv lights need to be changed out every 6 months, whether you want to or not, even if U dont think there is a reason. Use a black perm. marker, mark date on bulb on one end so U kno when it was last changed. Uv bulbs lose their efficiency quickly.

I have had dragons for over 10 years, and mine do well w fresh Uv lighting and plenty of crickets and veggies.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeanne For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-28-2016),distaff (01-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    Ahh yes the slate tile that they come across all the time in the wild. Beardies can and will burrow given the ability too. By using slate or carpet you are eliminating their ability to burrow away from the heat a hide on the cool end will only do so much. I have all my lizards on a deep bioactive substrate and would never turn back.

Actually, bearded dragons don't live on a loose sand type like most people think. It is mostly really hard packed dirt. Plus, this animal lives in captivity- not in the wild. Slate tile is MUCH better than a loose substrate- no impaction risks, and bacteria can be harbored a whole lot more in sand/dirt than it can in tile, which can be easily wiped down everyday.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JessPets For This Useful Post:

Finn0208 (05-09-2017)

Thanks

Try switching to Dubia roaches. They're a little bit better for your beardies than crickets are. Also try adding Phoenix worms to their diets they're high in calcium so you don't have to dust them. Try the T5 High Output UVB bulb, its what the breeder I got my beardie from recommended and my little 6 month old beardie us exploding in size.

Thanks
    Just seconding some previous statements:

Definitely need to feed more. Rule of thumb is to give them as many as they'll take in a 15 minute time frame. They will grow steadily until they reach their intended size/age ratio but it can't be said how long that will take

Also slate tile is the way to go, just make sure you get ones that will fit evenly in your tank OR that you have a rotary blade that can cut the slate to size. It's a huge money and time saver of a substrate, and it mimics their home field (rocks)
    0.1 Albino ball python, 0.1 Mojave Spider, 1.0 Savanah Banana

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonbp For This Useful Post:

Finn0208 (05-09-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12