Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,661

2 members and 2,659 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

Thread: Critter Cage

Thanks

Critter Cage

Unfortunatlly when I got my BP I purchased a Critter Cage. It has been a full time job keeping the temps / humidity up. I also noticed that PI started to use only one hide. So my latest project was to switch to thick Repti-bark substrate where I could bury some hides, replace his branch that he never used with more hides, and add a plexiglass top to the cage. He now has four hides (two pot bases buried), and actually uses them all. Any sugestions for improvements are welcome.

Ignore the Accu Rite, wire, and wood on top, I took these while I was still finishing up

I think when he out grows this one I am going to get one from showcasecages.com. If anyone else is crazy enough to spend that much for a cage; let me know how you like it.

Thanks

Re: Critter Cage

Looks like a pretty nice setup! Must be fun to clean though
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Very good looking indeed.. How is it heated and controlled?
    Just a reptile lover!!!!!

Thanks

Heating it is an unbelievable pain. I keep my house very cold and the Critter Cage is all glass with a screen top so the fluctuating temps of the house is a big factor on the temp inside the Critter Cage. To heat the tank I am using an UTH and an ESU Reptile Bi-Light (20 inch) that holds two lamps (product description here) that I can use to adjust the temps. The most I’ve had to use was two 75w bulbs (humidity killer), the least was one 50w. My limited knowledge of thermodynamics gave me the idea of extra thick substrate, a background on three sides, and as much “stuff” in the tank as possible, which as helped to stabilize the temps a lot. I have also used different things to cover the screen top with varying degrees of success. I think one I get the Plexiglas in (ruined the first one) that it will be stable enough to trust a thermostat with.

Thanks

Anything you put in the cage will create a source of thermal mass. I use glass aquariums for all of my arb. snakes and use lexan on the screen lids, humidity and heat stay right were I want them. You need a good thermostat to control the undertank heater as this is where your snake is all the time, the floor. Also the lighting can be controlled with a simple dimmer(rheostat).. They can be a pain to control but once yo have it, your have it so to speak..lol..

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback, do you have any recommendations for a thermostat? Also, I plan on continuing to use the Bi-Light as a convenient way to switch from day to night bulbs but I am worried about the high temps of the edges of the Bi-Light warping or melting the plexiglas (using as generic term not brand name). I noticed how easy it is to melt when I was attempting to cut it the first time. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I would use a Johnson controls or a ranco for your setup.. Take a look at my site and you can fine dall the info you may need fo rthose models.. You could even go proportional but it really isint necessary unless your breeding in my opinion....

Thanks

i have a criter cage. and i have the same problem you have. i am useig plastic sheeting to seal up most of the top and it works fine, as a temp soultion. but in reguards to plexi dont use it. it in a pain to cut. is very fragle like glass. and when heated or burned it will give off a toxic gas. instead use POLY CARBON ie one name brand is lexon. it costs 50% to 100% of what plex dose. ie a 10.00 sheet of plex will cost 15 to 20.00 in poly carbon. difrences. polycarbon is 250 times stronger than glass. you can machine it. yes cut it with drills, power saws. (Holesaws). if thick enough (1/4 inch + you cna drill and tap it.) it dose not give off toxic fumes and will not burn. and it is clearer and more scratch resistant than plexi. you can buy it at home depot. but they only have 1/8th sheets. you will find it at any galss store. and cheaper than what homedepot has. i use poly carbon to make gigs and blade guards for power tools such as my table saw. and soon a noew cover for ginger my ball python. who eats very regualry and is not nippy. what dose CH mean in reguards to captive born/ wild caught?