Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,104

1 members and 3,103 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Cutting fire skink eggs?

I have a pair of fire skinks which unexpectedly bred. There were 6 eggs. 2 went bad the first week of incubation. The remaining 4, 3 have hatched, and babies are eating. It has been 3 days since the first one hatched, 2 since the third one.

The fourth egg still hasn't hatched. It is sweating little like the other three did. It has been 3 days and I am worried that the baby can not pip.

I am experienced with snakes and if these were python eggs I would have cut the last egg already, but not sure about skink eggs. Should I be cutting them or not?

The objective is the save the baby if it needs saving, and if skink eggs should/can be cut to do so. This is not about whether "nature" should weed out the weak babies if they didn't hatch themselves, that is a separate discussion.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've found that as a rule the smaller the egg, the less likely it is to survive cutting. I'm not sure why, but I believe that with ball pythons the eggs are fairly large and so are the hatchlings so cutting into a vein and losing a few drops of blood is no big deal, however cutting into a smaller egg with a smaller hatchlings, losing a few drops of blood can be a pretty big deal. I'm not sure that's the reason, but in my experience cutting smaller eggs the hatchlings are less likely to survive.

BTW, hatchling fire skinks would be pretty cool to see, do you have any pictures yet?
    Last edited by MarkS; 07-01-2016 at 04:56 PM.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus