Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,771

4 members and 3,767 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonBabe448's Avatar
    Thanks

Just a few questions...Please Help!

Ok. I was reading a caresheet on breeding, and it said their temps cool down in November-January. How is this? Ball Pythons are from africa and our winters are their summers. So it would be warm during our winters. I'm confused on this one.

#2 Is it possible to breed them in other months? Or does it always have to be in our winter (er..their summer)? I was just wondering on this one.

#3 I know the breeding weight for females is 1500 (minimum). What about males? Does it matter how much they weigh?

Thanks for the help!
    0.1 Bearded Dragon (Reka)

Thanks

Re: Just a few questions...Please Help!

Well considering that the light cycle probably is partly what prompts breeding activity, it is better to cool them in winter, no matter where they are. They don't know they aren't in Africa as far as the seasons go.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Also you have to break the assumption you are dealing with wild-caught specimens straight out of Africa who are acclimated to those (native) seasons. Hopefully you've got some CBB to work with.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

BPnet Veteran BallPythonBabe448's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes....CBB.

Well...I need to have one of my snakes probed this week so that I can determine if it really is a male (i think so..)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon (Reka)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonBabe448
    Ok. I was reading a caresheet on breeding, and it said their temps cool down in November-January. How is this? Ball Pythons are from africa and our winters are their summers. So it would be warm during our winters. I'm confused on this one.

#2 Is it possible to breed them in other months? Or does it always have to be in our winter (er..their summer)? I was just wondering on this one.

#3 I know the breeding weight for females is 1500 (minimum). What about males? Does it matter how much they weigh?

Thanks for the help!

Ball pythons can be bred any time of the year. Many breeders have clutches hatching all year round.

It does not matter if they are CB, LTC, WC, or whatever. The important thing is that they have a "trigger" to induce them into breeding and then a second "trigger" so that females know when to ovulate.

For first time breeders in many parts of the US, using the natural triggers of North Americas fall and spring help insure breeding success. No matter what your cage temps are, your ball pythons can sense the temps outside which is why so many more ball pythons fast during the winter than during the summer months. Attempts to get ball pythons to breed during other times of the year are often met with failure unless you really know what you're doing (or if you just get lucky). For consistent and reliable results, the fall - spring schedule is your best bet.

For inexperienced breeders males should be at least 750 grams to help them remain healthy through the entire breeding season.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty