Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,083

0 members and 3,083 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mouse in labor!

Thanks

Re: Mouse in labor!

Quote Originally Posted by piedlover79 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear your one momma didn't make it, congrats on the other pups!

I had a *gigantic* female mouse die before going into labor, I did a necropsy and there were 17 fetal mice inside 5 of which were ectopic (outside the uterus) which explained the death. Some very odd things can happen during breeding.
    That's so interesting and sad! I will miss her, but it just left me space to hold back another female. If the litter allows, I'll be culling all but 3 females.
    2.1 Ball Python(Sterling, Boots, & Eden)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa(Anakin)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon(Beatrix/Trixie)
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    1.0 Chihuahua(Panda-Bear)
    2.0 Betta Fish(Finnley & Pescado)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    It was sad, but at the same time I had to marvel at the sheer number of little ones in there!

- - - Updated - - -

It was sad, but at the same time I had to marvel at the sheer number of little ones in there!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

SCWood (06-25-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piedlover79 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

💕 looks like I'll be holding back 2 males and 3 females. As far as temperament, males that grow up together won't usually fight, right?
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks
    Some people say no, but my experience says yes - and that if the can smell a female they'll absolutely fight. If one is removed and put with a female, it can't be put back with the others. I've heard on here that the same is true for rats - I've never had that happen with rats. I was going to separate my male rats, just in case, but they don't do well by themselves so I put them back together and they were delighted to see each other again. Male mice, however, just from personal experience, will kill each other even if they're raised together, if any of them are taken out and put back in, or if there are female mice around, particularly if they are in heat.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Caspian For This Useful Post:

SCWood (06-27-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    Some people say no, but my experience says yes - and that if the can smell a female they'll absolutely fight. If one is removed and put with a female, it can't be put back with the others. I've heard on here that the same is true for rats - I've never had that happen with rats. I was going to separate my male rats, just in case, but they don't do well by themselves so I put them back together and they were delighted to see each other again. Male mice, however, just from personal experience, will kill each other even if they're raised together, if any of them are taken out and put back in, or if there are female mice around, particularly if they are in heat.
    Thank you
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks

Look who I almost missed. She is very swollen today. Wasn't 2 days ago...
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SCWood For This Useful Post:

Fraido (06-27-2016)

Thanks
    Chubby girl! I have a rat that's about to pop, and who's looking like that right now. Siamese girl, bred to a Black Berkshire. I'm always fascinated to see what comes out... next pairing due is a Blue Berkshire girl to a Siamese boy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Caspian For This Useful Post:

SCWood (06-28-2016)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SCWood View Post
    💕 looks like I'll be holding back 2 males and 3 females. As far as temperament, males that grow up together won't usually fight, right?
    In my breeding group the males are the most docile. I can put a group of baby males in with their father immediately with no fighting from the get-go, they go straight to sleeping with each other until I cull them off (based off 2 litters so far). I put the group of females in with a holdback girl from the first litter and she immediately started fighting everyone, but they're getting along now. The breeder girls I have start out antagonizing the male for several days until they get used to his presence, and he barely fights back. I haven't tried putting multiple males together with a female in the mix, but all three groups are right next to each other, and the females' scents don't seem to instigate anything.

Sorry to hear your girl died, hopefully the babies continue doing well! I lost over 20 pinkies in my most recent batch of litters, no clue why, most died within 2 days of being born and another couple died at the fuzzy stage but I didn't lose any more once they opened their eyes. Still have 6 healthy weaned mice, though.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

SCWood (06-28-2016)

Thanks

Chubby girl! I have a rat that's about to pop, and who's looking like that right now. Siamese girl, bred to a Black Berkshire. I'm always fascinated to see what comes out... next pairing due is a Blue Berkshire girl to a Siamese boy.
    I can't wait to breed. Right now, I'm waiting on a blue hooded and a black Berkshire set of males!
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    In my breeding group the males are the most docile. I can put a group of baby males in with their father immediately with no fighting from the get-go, they go straight to sleeping with each other until I cull them off (based off 2 litters so far). I put the group of females in with a holdback girl from the first litter and she immediately started fighting everyone, but they're getting along now. The breeder girls I have start out antagonizing the male for several days until they get used to his presence, and he barely fights back. I haven't tried putting multiple males together with a female in the mix, but all three groups are right next to each other, and the females' scents don't seem to instigate anything.

Sorry to hear your girl died, hopefully the babies continue doing well! I lost over 20 pinkies in my most recent batch of litters, no clue why, most died within 2 days of being born and another couple died at the fuzzy stage but I didn't lose any more once they opened their eyes. Still have 6 healthy weaned mice, though.
    That's so awesome!
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast